Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucky123_gw

How Ruthless How Often?

lucky123
10 years ago

I have rescue plants. The potting mix is pure sludge, so heavy that it doesn't have any structure at all, none.

I repotted once, taking about 1/2 inch off all sides and replacing with fresh soil. (1 repot)

Then I decided to repot into a smaller pot, (2 repot)

Then the plants showing signs of rot being way to wet so I cleaned the sludge off the roots. Then I repotted into the right size pot with good potting soil. (3 repot)

I should have been absolutely ruthless in the beginning but

The Question Is: I have the other one, the second rescue who I have been timidly repotting, twice now and it needs the same treatment. How often can a plant be repotted? Am I going to kill it by repotting 3 times in as many weeks or should I just try to keep it on the dry side for a while, then repot later in the summer?

How often can a plant be repotted?
I will get the entire job done in one repot from now on. Half measures don't pay!

This post was edited by lucky123 on Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 15:57

Comments (6)

• Karin
    10 years ago

I'd vote for repotting, or chopping off the crown and rooting it. But then, I've lost more AV's to rot lately than I care to admit...

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

How often can a plant be re-potted? Hmmmm...There is no definitive answer to this. Plants generally do best with as little root disturbance as possible. However, because we bring plants inside, shove their roots into pots with artificial soil, they must be tended to. Theoretically, you could re-pot every day if you were careful.

Re-potting is done to refresh soil and/or move to a different pot. In violets it is recommended to do this every six months or so because the mix most of us use breaks down in about that amount of time.

When you re-pot, figure out what you are going for as regarding pot size and soil mix. Then do it and be done.

One of the mistakes that newbies make is to be at their plants all the time. Part of this comes from the enthusiasm of the beginner and the joy of discovering something new.

But, to grow successfully, all you need do is provide the proper growing environment and the step back and let the plant grow. They don't need to be picked at and prodded. Don't remove leaves from the crown or dis-bud (unless you are showing. Violets are perfectly capable of blooming and growing at the same time. They've been doing it for eons without human intervention). You don't need to strip leaves, trim roots, etc.
    Plants do not need human help to grow!

Linda

This post was edited by whitelacey on Thu, May 1, 14 at 13:48

• lucky123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Karin
    I repotted and yes, the plant looked perfectly healthy but it had root rot clear up to the soil line. I will do the job the first time next time because if I had done the job properly weeks ago when I rescued the plant, it would be in better shape today.
    Linda
    Yes! Decide what needs to be done, plan ahead and then do it. Do it right, then leave them alone.
    I am not touching these domed and isolated plants except to water and not touching my rooting leaves except to remove any rotted ones for at least a month.
    I am the worst "violet pest" in the house.

• Karin
    10 years ago

I hope your plant will recover!!
    just dug up one because I thought it may have root rot, but it doesn't. Leaves are limp and the soil didn't feel very dry yet. Huh. I'll just have to water it and see what happens.
    Funny really, when a bit of rot scares you into watering less and then you panick because the symptoms are the same.... Losing those few plants just really messed with my confidence - I'll have to work on that.

• lucky123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Karin
    You gave me the confidence to dig mine up and deal with it. I knew it was rotting. It never dried out, not since I bought it and that means sour soil and Rot.
    I just didn't have the confidence to do it, dithering until you posted to Do It, get it done and over with! Thanks
    The plant is doing fine now. It will slow it down but I think it will survive and thrive
    Linda, other than Rot or Watering, I am not touching my plants. You gave very gentle, kind advice and I appreciate it. A true diplomat!

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Lucky,

Thanks for the kind words. I've been diplomatically (hopefully!) giving plant care advice for many, many years. It's very nice when that advice is taken!

Linda