Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
froeschli

Waxy, off color blossoms?

Karin
10 years ago

This is strange, and i don't have a picture to prove it just now.

But, my little inca bloomed it's head off a few weeks ago, (all blue/purple blossoms) then went looking 'off' - the leaves turned kind of yellow-ish and blah. now it's recovering some color, and sending up new blooms.
one just opened today, and it was small, waxy-looking and mostly beige/white with a blue border. the blossom looked strange enough that i inspected it by hand and, of course, snapped it right off. i'll post an image when the next one comes along - all the buds are looking pale, so i am expecting the same thing to show up again.

anyhow, the only things i changed, was to cut down on fertilizer after i realized there was some already in the potting medium i had used. and i moved it away from the light by 2" after the leaves had grown paler (i thought it might have been too close, it always has a bit of a 'reaching' quality).
i've got suckers and leaves of it sprouting, so i am not too worried about losing the plant itself, i just found it a bit weird behavior, and was wondering if any of you had an idea as to why it might be acting that way....

(Conditions: Fluorescents, 1/2-1/2 AV mix and perlite, brita water, schultz av food or schulz orchid food at 1/2 strength every 2nd time watering)

Karin

Comments (4)

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone