Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strange behaviour - +++ multicrowns, leaves on leaves

Posted by stlawrence_river 2b Canada (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 2, 08 at 16:34

Hi,

I've been growing AVs for 15 years, and all of a sudden all of them begun acting strangely. They're throwing multiple crowns all over the place and doing other peculiar things sprouting like tiny little leaves (and even tiny little new plants) out of the surfaces of other mature leaves.

I've been clipping and snipping and growing up the babies, but it's starting to get ridiculous.

None of them suffered any damage to precipitate new growth. They're all standards or semi-minis (not trailers), and a mix of named varieties and my own cultivars.

Does anyone know of a reason that they might begin to do this? They aren't infested with insects, and I haven't exposed them to high levels of gamma radiation (a la Spiderman).

If it's something simple, I'd love to know how to fix it - thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strange behaviour - +++ multicrowns, leaves on leaves

Maybe you should ask the water dept if they are adding anything new to the water just in case?

o

That is strange behavior! Have you changed fertilizers or anything? It sounds like they are reacting to some sort of stress.

o

Maybe it's time for you to get rid of you depeleted uranium collection.

:D

o

• Posted by korina 9b, Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 14, 08 at 14:14

You also might double-check your pH.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Korina

o

Update:

Thanks for all the suggestions.

All I can report is that as unexpectedly as it began, the strange growth habit has stopped. After three months, they've gone back to normal. The babies are growing out perfectly normally.

As long as it doesn't recur, I'm contented to put it down to sunspots :)

o

Found a photo of what the plants were doing.

The arrows are the tiny plantlets sprouting from another leaf.

o

Wow - this is amazing. Even more amazing that this plant grew out of it!

o

That's crazy! Thanks for posting a pic, I wouldn't have understood just how bizarre the behavior was otherwise!

I'm going with the gamma radiation theory. How are YOU doing? Did any extra limbs or super powers suddenly suddenly show up?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here