Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irina_co

Best Wishes for Dora

irina_co
14 years ago

On Friday 16 we had a wonderful Internet crowd meeting - and the subgroup from GardenWeb got together - hope Mermie will post the pic soon - and we talked about Dora who was missing.

Dear Dora - we wished you the speediest recovery, we wanted you to be with us in person. We hope that everything will go well and we will see you next year.

Do not dispose of all your violets - you need to bring a winner to the Convention!

Get Well Soon

Irina

Comments (18)

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

awe :)
    that touches me in a special way. thanks.

I'm not getting rid of all of them, I just went from 350 down to about 115.

I'm dividing my Pixie Blue and starting over just for the accomplishment of it. Man! this plant has got some quality to it :)

I look forward to all the stories and pictures that are able to be shared.

God Bless You All,
    Dora

• verac
    14 years ago

I must have missed the initial post, but I hope you are feeling better too,
    :0)

Vera/Ca

• threas
    14 years ago

Dora, sending prayers your way.

Theresa

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

Thank you all.
    I like the fact that violets is the subject here but that in addition to that, we seem to have developed a bit of violet *family* too....that care about each other.

I was recently diagnosed with cancer in late January. I needed to have some test done to check to see if it had spread. The Drs thought that it did not and so I had surgery March 22nd. The cancer was self contained and that was/is the good news but the recovery process has not been as smooth and quick as I would prefer.

I appreciate all the prayers and good wishes and this will just take some time.
    The good news is that while I can not lift anything heavier than 10#'s, I can play in the dirt and I have repotted almost all of my violets, separated those that were multiples and moved over 250 of them out to new homes. Some of you have been the recipient of those leaves, suckers, starters and full grown plants. I appreciate knowing they are going to good homes where they will be loved and grown in good conditions (hopefully)

At any rate - it wasn't really a secret and I don't really consider myself "sick", I just didn't want it to become the subject of the board. It's good to know there are people who care about you even though they've never met you face to face.
    Thanks and blessings to everyone,
    Dora

• larry_b
    14 years ago

Dear Dora,

My darling wife will be a 4 1/2 year breast cancer survivor on the 9th of May. Except for the chemo, she didn't feel sick. That is she wasn't "sick" from the cancer, but rather from the treatments. I don't know what it's personally like to have cancer, but I know what it's like to be with someone 24 hours a day who does. And be that persons caretaker. It's not something I would wish on anyone.

I also hope that you have a speedy recovery.

Take care,

Larry

PS - I think African violet and gesneriad people are some of the nicest people I have met. There must be something about these plants that attract people like us. I visit several of the forums on GW and I can safely say that this forum is the nicest one, with the nicest people, of them all.

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

Wow, Larry. God bless you and your wife.
    My husband's late wife of 29 years died of cancer and he was her caretaker.
    We've had some scary moments and lots of flashbacks for him.
    It's just going to take some time and I have plenty to keep me busy, lol.

Thanks again and you are right about violet people.
    Dora

• fred_hill
    13 years ago

Hi Dora,
    A speedy recovery is what I wish for you. Hope to see you at the 2011 convention in Cherry Hill, NJ next spring.
    Fred in NJ

• angel2008
    13 years ago

Dora, I am so sorry ot hear your not feeling "up to yourself" , but sometimes things just take a little longer then what we expect them to. I know ..I was in the hospital last July, and expected to be back to my old self within a few weeks, didnt happen..so you take it easy and take care. I will be keeping you in my prayers for a speedy recovery. (((hugs))) I have been a lucky recipient of2 of her plants and 2 sets of leaves, and thank you so much for those.

• nwgatreasures
    13 years ago

Hmm...these post are so encouraging and make me feel so good inside.

I can't do everything I want (what else is new?) but I have been able to make it through about 90% of my plant collection and separate, repot, groom, dismantle, trash, and perhaps most importantly - downsize to several of you on this board (mostly confessed lurkers) and *that* made me feel the best.

I appreciate the prompt (and in some cases, generous) reimbursements for postage and plant material.
    I like what I see when I look at my plant stand, I feel good about my collection, I feel on top of their care and those kinds of feelings are enough compensation right now for those things that I can't control or feel a bit helpless with.

You guys/gals are great!
    Dora

• bspofford
    13 years ago

Boy, did we miss not meeting you at convention. Knowing next year will make it happen gives me something to look forward to. And....I'll be in touch about having you do a small presentation for affilliates. Doesn't THAT whet your curiosity?!?!?!?! HAH!

Barbara

• nwgatreasures
    13 years ago

Barbara,
    Depends on what the presentation is about, LOL.

Seriously, I *love presenting and sharing so I'll look forward to being able to contribute in whatever way is needed.

Dora

• bunnygurl
    13 years ago

Dora, I don't know you personally but I'd like to wish you the best, and just from hanging around here I know that you deserve nothing less.

Also I received the Chilly Willy plantlet today and aside from one broken leaf (don't think the mail people were too gentle as the box was slightly smooshed) it looks fantastic. I appreciate it so very very much. I'm so excited for this lil' guy.

I also want to apologize for my not-so-prompt payment of postage + donation. I've always been a prompt payer but I think the paypal hiccup and me not having done this before has probably contributed to my tardiness. I very much appreciate you patience with me.

Bless you and thank you, thank you, thank you!

• nwgatreasures
    13 years ago

Thanks bunnygurl,
    As long as you send it, that's what matters :)

I'm not complaining but I mailed out over 29 packages at a minimum of $5.50 each. With all the plants/leaves/starters/etc that I mailed out, I'd have probably gotten over $200 for the sale of everything at our local sale (not countring postage) so I do want to make sure that I recover at least my postage. Everyone but 12 people have already taken care of their reimbursement/donation.

Let me know if there's anything I can do from my end to facilitate the process and love on that plant as much as you can :)

Thanks again for the best wishes; I continue to improve/recover every day & my prognosis is excellent.
    Dora

• davemichigan
    13 years ago

Oh, I somehow missed the thread because I myself am new and didn't know Dora or anybody here on a more personal basis, so I just skipped the thread. Now I am feeling bad for doing that.

A special prayer for you, Dora. Out of the difficult condition, it is good to know that the cancer is self contained. Take time in the recovery. Don't push yourself. It might be a while before you become your "old self."

(I had an aortic dissection last October and had an open-heart surgery. I am recovering faster than most patients, but some days I just feel tired and don't feel like doing anything).

• threas
    13 years ago

Dora, I am so glad to hear your prognosis is good! Although, I don't know you either, I think about you and continue to pray for your speedy recovery. It's so nice you have your AV collection to help you heal.((Hugs))

Theresa

• angel2008
    13 years ago

Dora, I am so glad things are going better for you. I have tried to pay you using the paypal addy you sent me, but I am not sure it went thru. I didnt receive any conf. that it was paid. I know I emailed you and asked you about this but I never received a reply from you if you received the payment, otherwise send me your address and I can send you a check.

• bunnygurl
    13 years ago

Dora - you're paypal account still won't accept payments from non-american accounts. Perhaps an MO would be just so much easier...darn computers.

• lilypad22
    13 years ago

Take good care Dora. thinking good thoughts your way.

tish

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES