Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary246

Change in babies

Mary246
9 years ago

A few weeks ago I put down a leaf from a NOID from a plant I've had several years. It is a solid green leaf from a solid green plant but the babies coming up appear to be varigated. Is it because it has given me a sport? or because the nutrients aren't correct? Any ideas?
Mary

Comments (6)

• quimoi
    9 years ago

Keep growing them and you will find out.

Most likely it is just a phase - maybe they got some cold water or something. You can use some weak fertilizer if your mix doesn't have any. However, the first variegated ones did sport from something so it's possible :)

My Ramblin' Lassie babies are very variegated and I swear the mom has never shown any. However that one's is supposed to be variegated. I've grown it for years.

Diana

• Karin
    9 years ago

I am assuming they aren't hidden from the light by anything? oh and i just saw an image yesterday of an AV that got bleached patches because a mouse pee'd on the leaves when they were small (don't ask me how they caught the mouse at it ;-p )

I am just watching my first variegated leaf sprout babies - and they are ever so much more variegated than the sucker from the same plant....

i've read that nitrogen helps variegated plantlets grow greener, if they are coming up with too much white. but if you aren't sure if it is a fertilizer issue to begin with, i'd be hesitant on adding more...

• quimoi
    9 years ago

The babies often are much more variegated than the mother leaf - that is so true. Sometimes it is a chore to get them green enough to remove. However, I really thought my mom wasn't variegated at all and I've had it for a long time. I started it from a leaf too.

I do want to know about the mouse... I was reading an older book that listed mice and earwigs as pests for violets. We've had both (I loathe earwigs) but I don't think mice ever bothered the violets. I never saw earwigs among them, We mostly have a few come in from outdoors when it's damp since it's an old house. I've had mice over the years but not for a long time.

I know....video of the mouse balancing over the Solo cup, right?

Diana

• lucky123
    9 years ago

I bought a variegated variety, buckeye extravaganza, very small plant but plain green leaves. I hope it will be variegated in the future but it came plain green and is still, plain green. Only had it a few days. I suppose I will learn about variegated.

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Please do let us know if it becomes variegated as it grows out. Joanne

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Lucky,

Many variegated violets are all green as babies and show their variegation as they become older. This is desirable as an all green leaved plant is more vigorous than a variegated one. It helps the plant to get off to a healthier start.

Linda