Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frank325

AV time lapse - I'm done :-P

frank325
14 years ago

After approx. 7 months I give up on taking pictures all the time. Plus, when I repotted it to wick it, I cut off a lot of outside leaves so it would look strange going from big to small in the video.

African Violet baby - time lapse vid

Comments (16)

• bspofford
    14 years ago

Hey, Frank,

That was fun! Thanks for spending the time and sharing with us.

Barbara

• m3rma1d
    14 years ago

Very cool :-)

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

Done????????

How 'bout some blooms? :)

Dora

• frank325
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I gave up too soon :) Another one already has bloomed, which makes me wish I picked that one. But guessing which will bloom when they all only had 4 leaves is impossible!

• carol222
    14 years ago

I loved it, Frank.
    Carol

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

Frank,
    Just to clarify - I loved it too....but I felt left hanging without the blooms at the end and I was half way teasing you :)

Dora

• frank325
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, I agree. My original plan was to get to blooming. But this guy just isn't getting there, plus it looks completely different now after cutting off a lot of the old leaves, so I didn't want to have that happen in the middle of the video.

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

Frank,
    Removing outer leaves is part of the normal growth pattern which helps the plants grow and bloom all the more. I think we would all understand that so I for one would encourage you to continue on with the video.
    Fred in N J

• frank325
    Original Author
    14 years ago

7 months is enough for me, sorry :) Now that they're wicked, I just want to leave them be for a while so they can continue growing larger and not have to deal with removing it from the container all the time to take a picture.

But this is what it was leading up to... Maybe it's because they're babies, but these purple flowers have white fringes on most of the petals. The mom doesn't.

{{gwi:364118}}

Unrelated... here is a mini that's blooming again and some mimosa pudica sprouts (sensitive plant/touch me not). I sowed the seeds 2 weeks ago.

{{gwi:364119}}

Interesting little plant (or weed, depending where you live). If you aren't familiar with it, google it, it's neat. The leaves are already sensitive -- I rubbed up against them while moving the pot and they all folded in and sunk down a bit.

{{gwi:364121}}

• carol222
    14 years ago

I really like the white fringes. Very pretty.
    My Mimosa died in AV soil after about 3 inches growth. It needed a lot of organic matter to grow further. Let me know how yours do.
    Carol

• frank325
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yeah that was kind of a quick repotting, didn't have much time to think about it. I'm planning on doing something about it the mix it is in.

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

Nice blooms :)

Thanks.
    Dora

• larry_b
    14 years ago

Hey Frank,

Fun thread! I see your Mimosa pudica has it's second set of leaves. Have you touched them yet. They should respond.

Larry

• frank325
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Larry,

Yep, they are responding. This thing is moving along quicker than I thought. They sprouted less than 5 days after seeding, and only 2 weeks after sowing the seeds they already had sensitive leaves.

Hopefully they don't die on me like Carol's did. I plan on repotting with a better suited mix. Funny... this thing is a weed in many areas, yet they die on us when we try to grow them. I can see it now, some person in some tropical country telling their gardening buddies how they can't keep that dandelion they're trying to grow alive.

• lilypad22
    14 years ago

Thanks for the video. I don't notice my plants while they are growing, too busy watering the other hundred or so (not saying how many, ha, lots). I can see why you stopped, it took quite a lot of diligence to go 7 months! More patience than me!

I haven't seen a sensitive plant in years! Now I have an 8 year old grandson, nows the time to find some seeds and give that a try...he likes to grow a few things...and this would be really fun for him. Oh, and me too!

Nice looking plants!

tish

• frank325
    Original Author
    14 years ago

tish,

I got my seeds on eBay from seller triciasgarden60 for only 2.95 with free shipping. very inexpensive.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County