Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heidi_2010

Starting african violet seeds

heidi_2010
14 years ago

Hello everyone.

I bought some african violet seeds(standards) and I plan to start them soon. But before I do, I have some questions.

What kind of soil should I use? I have Miracle Grow seed starting mix. A bag of African Violet potting soil. I also have a bag of sphagnum peat moss and a bag of perlite. Will the seeds grow in a 50-50 mix of the peat moss and perlite?

I also have a bag of vermiculite, but I'm not sure if I want to use it anymore after reading about how vermiculite used to contain asbestos.

I have a plastic take-out container with a clear lid to start them in. Should I make holes in the bottom for drainage?

Once the seedlings start to grow, I have some 3 oz. plastic solo cups I can plant them in. Will these cups be to big for them?

I have an optimara african violet plant that I bought from a greenhouse a few weeks ago and I still haven't repotted it. I plan on leaving it in the same 4 inch pot it came in, just giving it different soil. Will the 50-50 mix of peat moss and perlite work for this plant?

Thanks for your help

Comments (9)

• robitaillenancy1
    14 years ago

For the seed I would use a peat-ier soil, less vermiculite and perlite because the tiny seed might get caught in the crevases these make. Some hybridizers sow their seed in those dried peat pots that swell when you put them in water. They spread this peat out in a small container and sow the seed thinly. Do not cover with soil. Cover the entire container with a plastic bag. Never let the seed dry out yet don't over water, either. Spraying water will not push the seed too far into the soil as will watering on top of soil.

For the plant, make sure the soil is light. We use 1 part each of peat, vermiculite and perlite. The Optimara soil may be too heavy but I have never tried it myself.

Nancy

• Christine
    14 years ago

The link below is for a site that describes one method of seed starting. I tried it and it works perfectly! I'm seeing blooms from my first cross now. It's really exciting to see what you get. The 3 oz. cups will be too big, but there are a number of suggested smaller containers at the link. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Janets Low-Tech Method For Starting African Violets From Seed

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

Donna,
    That's a pretty nifty site. Thanks for sharing.

Dora

• heidi_2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for your help everyone.
    I planted the seeds on Apr. 21st. Now just waiting for them to sprout.
    I used those jiffy peat pellets. Took the netting off and spread it around in a Famous Daves take out container.
    I ordered some 1 oz. medicine cups from Amazon. Got 100 of them for $1.70. Going to transplant them into those cups when they get big enough.

I will let you know when the seedlings start coming up.

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

Keep us posted on those seed's progress.

Dora

• heidi_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just noticed my first african violet seedling coming up. It is so tiny.

But I also noticed some little white bugs crawling around on the top of the mix I planted them in. I used jiffy peat pellets. They are really tiny and it looks like they are sort of iridescent. Are they mealy bugs? If they are, should I just empty the container and start over? And there are some tiny spots on top of the mix where it looks like mold is growing. There is this white fuzzy looking stuff.

• alaizabelle
    13 years ago

Oooo! I can help on one of those last concerns you had!

When I started my first seeds, I was horrified when I saw little white mold spots growing. To scoop or not to scoop, that was the problem.... luckily I let them be because they were actually the tiny seeds sending out tons of tiny white roots!

• percystash
    13 years ago

When it comes to watering them try watering from the bottom by filling the saucer with water and letting the soil absorb the moisture. African Violets usually prefer that to watering the top soil.

• heidi_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks. I noticed by one of the tiny spots that looks like mold, there is a seedling coming up. As for watering it, I haven't had to do that yet, since it has the cover on it. But when I do end up having to water it, I made holes in the bottom of the tray, so it can soak up water.
    I haven't seen those little bugs anymore. I saw one the other day, it was sort of a light brown color and it was long and thing looking. It is smaller than a grain of rice.
    I noticed more seedlings today. I think I can count 6, but is hard to tell, they are so tiny. I have to stick my face right up by the container.

I also took a picture of the biggest seedling, so you can all see it.
    {{gwi:364154}}

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County