Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
African Violet losing blooms and looking dull ?

Posted by Arehbella none (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 29, 12 at 18:23

It used to look like this :

IMG_7843

Then as soon as I repotted it, it started to lose flowers slowly and then the new blossoms would just turn brown and fall off. Now it just looks like this :

Photobucket

I didn't know that you had to use special potting soil, so I bought some yesterday.I think I just used regular houseplant potting soil. If I replant it in the African violet soil, will it look more like it did before ? The light it gets is shaded light and I would water it once a week. Thanks for your help :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: African Violet losing blooms and looking dull ?

• Posted by czyk none (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 29, 12 at 19:54

Don't water your violet on a schedule. Wait until the top of the soil feels dry, then water it. The violet will be happier. Also, what size pot did you put the plant in? The pot should only be 1/3 the width of the plant. Most violets will never need a pot bigger than 4 inches. When you repotted if the roots were at all soft and mushy, you need to unpot it, and cut those off. Most likely, the violet just needs time to recover from the repotting. A great place to get tips on violet care is Rachael's Reflections. I've been able to find good advice there for any problem I have had. Good luck!

o

Your violet looks healthy ... just not growing or blooming.

To solve that ... (2) things ...

More light ... try a CFL in a desklamp for about 12 hours/day

Get some African Violet fertilizer and use as directed.

o

I am thinking that your plant is so grossly overpotted and the regular potting soil could be way too heavy for the plant - that you really need to repot in a much smaller pot and use light soil. You probably can use the soil you already bought if you add 1/3 of perlite to lighten it up.

Forget about bloom. I would remove the buds anyway to conserve the energy.

Normally I would say wait a bit for your plant to recover from repotting - but in this case I think immediate intervention is due. And until you do it - keep the soil barely-barely moist. Overpotting and heavy soil is a 100% recipe for a root rot.

Whan you pot your plant in a small pot - you can use your pretty one as a cachepot.

Good Luck

Irina

o

Lesson learned, don't repot when flowering. That pot looks very deep, as others said it may be too big. If roots are ok, probably need more light.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here