Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovemyviolets

Hello Dora, I finally posted/Plant Sale

lovemyviolets
14 years ago

Hello All. This is my first post and like many, I have been lurking around for a while and finally decided to post (with a little persuasion from Dora at the plant sale Saturday....lol)! I have to say I have learned a lot reading your posts. There is a wealth of knowledge to be had here.

I went to the plant sale that Dora's club had last Saturday to purchase some supplies (physan 20 and marathon). Much to my suprise, I came home with 10 new AV's and 2 leaves in addition to my supplies! I grow mostly mini's, semimini's and a few streps and was suprised to see so many of the smaller varieties of AV's that were available at the sale. There was a lot of information available as well. That being said, my question to Dora is this: When's the next sale?? I think I need more AV's! lol I hope the sale was a huge success for your club.

I hope to be able to post some now that we have completed a lot of the work we had been doing to our house.

Anyhow, I won't make this post too long, but wanted to shout out to Dora and say hello to all.

Carol

Comments (6)

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

Hi Carol,
    Glad that you could join us here on the Garden Web. If you have any questions or problems with your plants, ask them here. My first word of advice to all newbies is to "ISOLATE" any new plant u get from the rest of your collection for a minimum of a month. I prefer 3 months.
    Fred in NJ

• lovemyviolets
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Fred,

I heard wonderful things about you at the plant sale from Dora. I've learned a ton reading your posts along with others. My plants used to bloom once in a while and after reading posts on this forum and changing some things that I was doing (or not doing), they bloom almost constantly.

I've had violets for a while now, but it wasn't until about 8 months ago that I've really "gotten into" them. So.......as with most who discover these plants, my collection went from about 6 plants 8 months ago to somewhere between 35 & 45 now (no thanks to Dora's plant sale!) lol I still have a list of some that I am going to order, but I figure I'll wait until I can get the ones I bought this weekend settled in.

I do have my new plants isolated on some shelves that I have in my kitchen window. My others are kept on a plant stand that my Dad and I made. I know the window gets good light since that's where I kept my 5 or 6 for several years before we made my stand. You may have seen the picture of my stand. Dora posted it back in March. I can't wait to get it full! I think I have a pretty good start on it now.

I think Dora told you in one of her posts that she met someone at the sale who had been lurking here..........that was me....guilty!

Do you have any suggestions as to anything that I can do while I have my new plants isolated to ensure that I won't have any little "critters" hanging around?

Carol

• m3rma1d
    14 years ago

Welcome outta lurkdom! I lurked here a good long while (a year or more) before I posted too...
    But being out and vocal is good! (I think? ha!)

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

Hey Carol!
    Glad to see you posting and hope this is just the beginning :)

The study group is hoping to have another sale this fall so you have plenty of time to get settled with the ones you have now and come play in the dirt with us a bit.

Im most pleased that you found pleasure in the sale and got plants. I loved meeting you face to face and look forward to sharing the love of these plants as we all move forward.

Dora

• lovemyviolets
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Dora,

Jan gave me an e-mail address for you. I sent an e-mail to you on Tuesday with questions. Did you get it?? If not, I can re-send it. Hope I have the correct address......

Hey m3rma1d. I've been admiring your pix for a while now. Beautiful, Beautiful, Beautiful!!!! What is it that you use for your background?

Carol

• m3rma1d
    14 years ago

Black velvet :-)