Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
froeschli

Anyone go to the AVSC show this weekend?

Karin
10 years ago

I dropped in at the end and got half off most plants :-D
I wasn't sure if it was ok to take pictures in the show room, but I made a list of plants to get...

And here's my haul - I was cycling, so I couldn't go overboard...

Comments (12)

• Karin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's what I got:
    Plants:
    Shirl's red sky
    Shirl's cranberry smoothie
    Von's small gift
    Petite blarney
    Definitely Darryl
    Pixie runaround (sport)
    Petrocosmea minor
    Petrocosmea cryptica

and leaves:
    Pink dove
    Pink champagne
    Optimara little azurite
    Robs pewter bells
    Robs love bite
    Robs cotton ball
    Robs jitterbug

Bloomlovers had a stall there, and their show special was leaves $2 (3 per pack, 11th one free) and little plants for $4. I got some of the ones I had planned on ordering but refrained from buying any standards.

Now I'll have to look up what half of these will look like - only some of the leaves came with a photo, that's why I picked nice looking leaves :-)

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Karin, Congrats! You're off to the Major League!
    Good thing you are moving!
    Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 21:13

• sueok_gw
    9 years ago

Wow! What a haul! I'd love to go to a show somewhere! I'm happy for you though!

• Karin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If even half of them make it, I'll actually have a handful of named varieties!

But I just see it coming, there I was, spending $2-10 at every vendors table, whilst next to me people were spending hundreds...

Ah, but I like my little NOIDS all the same, and I am nowhere near as worried about them kicking the bucket either.... Well, except for my new little sport, I doubt I'd ever find the like again...

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

HI Karin
    Yes, it sneaks up, little by little ... all those homeless leaves
    and AV babies need a good home ... It's a rescue mission ...
    seems that you have a knack, creating a sport already.

Those NOIDs are great to start with, if it wasn't for them, I never would have developed the interest or courage to venture into collecting.

Best of luck with growing your new acquisitions! How was the meeting and presentations?
    Joanne

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Karin,
    For future reference-you can take pictures in the show room. I take a picture of the plant I want, then a picture of its name label. That way I don't have to jot down the names and try and figure out what's what when I get home.

Linda

• Karin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Linda,
    I'll make sure to take pictures next time :-)

Joanne, I didn't do anything to make the plant sport - for the longest time I actually thought it was sick (it's paler and tolerates less light than the 'original') then it started blooming and I realized I had something special there... It's leaves aren't taking though, maybe they're a bit too pale to have them sitting with my usual leaves (bleaching) - I'll try a few more when it's got them...
    I didn't go to any of the meetings and presentations - maybe next year, I had a hard time getting away and across the city this time. Crazy how sometimes it is easier to get places when you start somewhere else...

Karin

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Karin,
    At least you got there! So exciting to have some new, named varieties. The sport is pretty.
    Joanne

• Karin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, I've planted the leaves, split up triple-crowned petite blarney, and downsized the pots that seemed too big. I know you guys grow in 3oz solo cups, but there seemed just so much soil for the little plants, and some of it was soaking wet, and some was way too dry... Now they are in my potting mix, in 1oz shot glasses. For the petrocosmea, I cut two 2.5" pots down to 1" height. I know they don't like repotting, but there was no roots whatsoever further than 1" down in their solo cups. I still think my shortened pots may be a bit big, but they should dry better than deep ones.
    At least now I know what potting medium I am working with, and they all have the same conditions...
    Mind, I have not attempted grooming the trailer yet, I think I have some reading to do before I start on that...

This post was edited by froeschli on Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 13:13

• bakerbethrn
    9 years ago

You know I have a ton of Keurig cups from our coffee maker....if you pull the filter out, they would be about the same size - holes already in the bottom too!

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

How is your 'Pink Dove' leaf doing? Here's the one I got at Convention. It's a beauty!

Linda

• Karin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One of the two is still alive. It has some roots, but no mouse ears yet.
    After losing a bunch of them to rot, I placed my remaining leaves in plastic baggies and hung them on the wall near the fluorescents - they seem to be doing better there than they did on the mats but none have sprouted babies yet....

ETA: I just hope mine will look as nice as yours someday :-)

Karin

This post was edited by froeschli on Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 0:06

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES