Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thominindy

Bacterial Leaf Blight

thominindy
15 years ago

Hello All.

I just returned from five days away. All of my wicked plants did fine in my absence, except one standard noid which had large brown blotches on five or six leaves, mostly on one side of the plant.

This is one of my first AV's. I have had this plant for about a year. I'm fairly certain that it is an Optimara. It is a hearty grower and a profuse bloomer. It's been in full bloom for several weeks.

After spending time with "Dr Optimara", and reading several threads on this forum I was certain it was Bacterial Leaf Blight. It fit all of the symptoms. The center of the blotches were gooey and would be a hole soon.

I isolated it immediately and tonight I removed all of the affected leaves, and most of the blooms, to give it an energy break.

Did I do this right? Is there anything else I can do? How can I prevent this from happening again? I really don't like pulling leaves and blooms from a beautiful plant.

My first show is this Saturday in Indy, I'm excited.

Thom

Comments (3)

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Thom - there are chemicals to fight it - but I would just start a leaf from middle of the crown - and cut off the crown with 2 rows of leaves and reroot it. The rest should go to the trash and the pot should be bleached before reusing.

As far as I understand the bacterial infection shows up when it is hot and wet. Means the bacterias are present all the time - but the plants are more susceptible in this kind of conditions.

Good Luck

irina

• thominindy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That feels right. I thought I should do more, but I didn't think I needed to trash it.

Thanks Irena.

Thom

• arunkumard11_gmail_com
    13 years ago

sir me doin final yr btech bioinformatics...nw im doin project on Bacterial Leaf blight in rice.... i dont know the protein name which causing bacterial leaf blight...if u know it helps me to do my final yr project....