Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvofroses

Quest for elusive solo cups.

luvofroses
15 years ago

My husband and I went to Wal-Mart this afternoon and he went on a mission a cup finding mission and was successful!!!!! I had looked and looked everywhere even Wal-Mart but could not find them. I had been fussing about not being able to find a store that carried them he went in and went right to them.He looked like the cat that ate the canary.So today he is my hero and I can punch holes in my cups. Today is a good day!!!!

Ann in So.Ut

Comments (12)

• ima_digger
    15 years ago

I found blue plastic cups at BJs wholesale club. They are clear, but a sharpie works well on them to write the names.
    What are you using to punch the holes? I usually just cut the bottom of the cup in three places. They are easy to cut. My hole puncher didn't reach the bottom, so I use scissors.

• nwgatreasures
    15 years ago

digger,
    Use a saudering iron to melt holes VERY QUICKLY...I do it on the top of my stove and run the exhaust fan while burning the holes.

Our Kroger here has the solo cups all the time.

Dora

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

I use a very sharp pointed tweezer to make hole in the bottom of my solo cups. I use a scissors to cut two edges off the bottom of the cups for drainage.
    Fred in NJ

• frank325
    15 years ago

I just use a drill. grab a stack of cups, drill right through the inside, out the bottom, and pull back up to prevent pieces around the hole from sticking out the bottom and making the cup uneven.

• thominindy
    15 years ago

A drill is an excellent idea. I had been following Dora's advice and heating a small philips screwdriver.

I might have a hard time with my eggbeater type hand drill though. Some of us aren't very condusive to change.

Thom

• bspofford
    15 years ago

I too use a drill; I can do about 100 in less than a minute. The fumes from melting the plastic can't be healthy....

Barbara

• nwgatreasures
    15 years ago

What size bit do you use? I'm all for doing it quickly and effectively.

Dora
    I hate the fumes but so far, the exhaust has removed the fumes. I like the idea of the drill.

• frank325
    15 years ago

I'm not sure what size bit it is off the top of my head. Just depends how large you want the holes to be.

• pattykay_gw
    15 years ago

My dh drilled the solo cups with a 1/4" drill bit. Mine seem to be fine. Hope this helps. pattykay

• seattlemarigene
    15 years ago

Here in Seattle I find them at my local Bartell Drugs and also the short clear plastic party cups that are perfect for a bit bigger violets.....:0)..marigene

• angolita
    14 years ago

Hi everyone, I like to use an ice pick and punch a few holes in solo cups that way,its quick and easy.

• bambi_too
    14 years ago

I use an inexpensive wood burning tool from the craft store. I sit on the back step and can do a whole package of cups in a few minutes. I put 4 holes around the bottm of each cup, (but not in the bottom) at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock. They drain well and usually don't crack around the holes because they are melted in. I also do this for 20oz beverage cups to start seed of almost any kind, 15 fit in a flat and they are nice and deep giving me nice root systems before they get plated outside. I have some that I have used for 4 years now, and at about 5 cents a cup you can't beat that.