Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ngbehht

What's going on with my Violet?

Sharon Zone 6b
10 years ago

I bought some violets from VB back in March, all are doing great, except for my Armour Elite. It arrived with brown/beige spots on 4-5 of the leaves, so I just chalked that up to "maybe they got water on them". However, now the newest leaves growing, and one of the middle leaves looks like something is "chomping" on them with little chunks taken out.

And the brown spots on one of the leaves almost looks like its disintegrating. Should I cut off the leaves with brown spots? Should I repot in a new fresh mix? I sprayed with Garden Safe Insecticidal soap today...hopefully not killing the violet, I lifted all the leaves and sprayed the soil. Saw no sign of any bugs, flys...nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas? Otherwise, the rest of the plant looks healthy.

Comments (10)

• Sharon Zone 6b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the brown leaves...

• Sharon Zone 6b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And some more brown spots. I've separated it from my other plants...just in case.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Here's a couple of ideas:

The brown spots: are they mushy or dry? Are the appearing on a regular basis or all at once?

The damaged (holey) leaves look like an environmental issue rather than pests. Most violet pests are tiny and sneaky; that's why they're so difficult to find and treat. This damage looks too big to be AV insects.

Another leaf thought: any chance of mice or slugs?

Your pot looks too big for the plant.

I would un-pot, inspect the roots for rot, cut away any bad roots and re-pot into a smaller pot with fresh mix.

Also, do not remove the damaged leaves until your plant has recovered. Better damaged leaves than no leaves.

And, in closing, the Horticulturist's mantra...do not treat until you identify the problem. We say it in our sleep......

Linda

• Sharon Zone 6b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Linda, and thanks. To answer your questions:
    Are they mushy or dry? They are dry, not soft at all.

Regular basis or all at once? They arrived this way from Violet B@rn, the only thing 'new' about any of the spots is that the one leave, with the 'sort of' V shape brown spot, looks to be shriveling at the spot, though not mushy. I don't think new brown spots are appearing, only on the initial 5 leaves, I've been watching.

Mice or slugs? I don't think so, I've never seen anything like that. The plants are on a tierd shelf in our living room... I've never seen any of those critters.. lol And along with that plant are orchids, more AV's, CC's and TC's, oh and jade plants - none of the other plants seem affected (though I've moved the spotted plant to it's own spot in another room).

The pot size? As I said, it came in that pot, but I can down size if you suggest I should. I just have to find a 2.5" pot, which I'm pretty sure I can.

Thanks so much for the help/suggestions... hopefully it'll be okay :-) - the mystery goes on...

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Hi,
    It might be a useful to contact the vendor, perhaps send them an email with the photos. They might respond with a suggestion and offer a replacement.
    Sometimes, vendors are very helpful. Just allow them a few days to respond. (Suggestion only, perhaps you thought of this already.)
    Joanne

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

If the leaves have been spotted since they came, I would send a line to VB. (Although, next time respond promptly. It is difficult for them to tell if they came that way or you did it in the interim.)

The spots are a mechanical damage-water, stress from shipping, etc.-and should grow out. The leaves in the middle are a result of something soil-based, I would think, not pests. The pH may be off, there could be too much water or the root zone may be compromised. I would un-pot, check the roots and re-pot smaller with a fresh, lighter mix. Even though the violet came in that pot, I suspect that it has been shrinking a bit and the pot is too big for it now. Again, this could be due to a root issue.

Even of all of your other plants are doing fine under the same conditions, remember, all plants are individuals and will respond in a slightly different way to its growing conditions.

Linda

• Sharon Zone 6b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, thanks... I will follow up wtih the vendor, just to let them know. I have some nice fresh violet mix from repot me and i'll add some more perlite to the mix to open it up a bit more.

I'll check the roots, and clear away any that are rotted... You know I was thinking, I wonder if it could have something to do with our well water... even though the perk tests came back great, I still wonder. Too hard? I think I'll change that for a few weeks also, just to see what happens.

Anyways, thank you so much for your help.

• lucky123
    10 years ago

Nobehht
    When you hear from VB would you post the response.
    Thank You!

• aviolet6
    10 years ago

Linda please email me. I want to hear about your career because I changed mine and I'm going to be a horticulturist too.

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

My best guess is pesticide spray. Perhaps it was sprayed at the greenhouse before it was sent and a greater amount may have landed on that plant.
    Perhaps take a healthy leaf to restart it. Joanne