Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
For Fred, about watering system

Posted by bspofford Maine (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 9, 09 at 19:25

You had mentioned some time ago about your watering system using a 5 gallon bucket with a pump and end of a garden sprayer. I'm thinking I want to cobble one together too. So here are some questions for you:

What size pump are you using? My choices are between an aquarium pump and a fountain pump. I assume you use a pump that has a flow control, yes?

In looking at the 'handle kits' at Lowe's, and at all the handles on the sprayers, I find that the end doesn't just screw off. Did you cut off the tip?

When you have the pump on, do you get any significant pressure buildup that cuts loose when you release the handle to fill the reservoir?

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge, Fred. And if anyone else has some ideas, please jump on in here.

Barbara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: For Fred, about watering system

Hi Barbara,
I got this pump for my birthday about 8 years ago. I believe its a 1/4 HP, in any case it looks like the one pictured in the link. I have a 10 foot plastic hose with a garden sprayer handle about 18 inches long which was purhased at Home Depot. The sprayer has a part which allows me to keep the water coming out without holding down the control handle. I submerge it into a 5 gallon pail I bought in Home Depot. I used to be able to lift it with 4 gallons of water in it but now I put the almost empty pail on a table and fill it with 4 one gallon containers. It has been trouble free for that length of time and I use it weekly generally filling the pail three times to water my collection.
Fred in NJ

Here is a link that might be useful: Little giant pump co.

o
RE: For Fred, about watering system

Thanks, Fred. I noodled around some more and found your original post too.

I was going to do a gravity feed system, but I think the pump is the way to go. Less hassle, probably a wash on the pump versus the spigot, adapters, etc.

I'll take a picture when whatever I do is done....

Barbara

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here