Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvofroses

Order from Violet Barn!!!!

luvofroses
15 years ago

Although my order did not have any violets in it this time i did get pots of many sizes and some streps and hoyas. I got some 2 1/2 inch ones, my goodness they are small. The violets that I want them for measure 4-5 inches across and are now in about a 3 in clay pot. So when i re-pot should I trim any roots or just put soil( with added perlite and vermiculate)in the bottom and fill in the sides? All my NOIDS that I purchased at the first of the month are doing great even if they have not been in quite the correct size pot but that will be changing tonight. None are drooping and have shown no signs of tranplant shock. The water wicking is going great and so right now i think all is well and I am pleased. Thanks to all that have helped in setting me on the right track.

Comments (4)

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Hi,
    You might try using 3oz Solo bathroom cups instead of the 2 1/2 inch pots. They are much cheaper, very convenient and don't have to be washed. When they get dirty I just toss them out. I keep all my semis, minis and baby plantlets in them on wicks and even exhibit them in the same cups.
    Fred in NJ

• luvofroses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Fred I will give that a try when my little streps are big enough.I did have something come up tonight that I was not sure how to handle. One of my violets that i was putting in a 2 1/2 in pot had a tad bit of its neck about the soil line. I did cover it but was wondering if I should have trimmed its roots and make it a little lower in the pot. Will go back and do that if that is a good idea. I have only had these 8 since the first of March. This repotting that i have been doing is good education. you get to see how the smaller pots are just right. I had to see this to understand. They all came in pots too big.
    Ann

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Ann - provided your violets are semi-minis - Rob's ..., but not Rob's trailers - the size about 3oz solo cup is the one you need to maintain - exactly what Fred advises. So next time you do your repotting - 1 of March + 4 months - you trim the bottom of the rootball, remove lower row of leaves and pot your violet so the lower row now is just above the soil.

Long neck is not harmful - just unsightly. So if it irritates you - you can do it now - or wait for 3 more months if it is not that bad.

If any of your violets are trailers - and Rob has great semi-mini trailers - you need to increase the size of the pot every time you repot keeping the pots shallow. They look the best and grow the best in bulb pans kind of pots.

Personally I do not believe in clay pots for violets, especially for minis and semis except for using as a cashepot. You can grow them in solo cups - and just insert them in a pot for decorating the table or whatnot - and when the bloom is over - back to the shelf.

Since you are interested in streps - you never put them lower in the pot, quite opposite - you try to plant them in the position King-of-the-Hill - and add more perlite to the mix.

Get prepared for the super blooming!

Irina

• dragonfly2008
    15 years ago

I don't recommend wicking streps when they are that small. Streps are extremely prone to root rot. They will recover from being droopy from drying out, but will never recover from too much water. If you want to wick them, use an extremely porous mix (lots of perlite) but wait until they are full size. (In my opinion)