Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
different flowers, same plant

Posted by annececilia z4a/N.Michigan (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 26, 09 at 19:38

One of my noids has suddenly put out a different type of flower along side the original. I moved it from one area of the house to another at Easter time and wondering if that could have triggered it? The original blooms are the frilly pink-ish lavender ones. The newest ones are definitely purple with less of the "frill." Any thoughts on this?

Hosting provided by FotoTime

Hosting provided by FotoTime

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: different flowers, same plant

Your beautiful plant may be "sporting" or mutating. A sport is a plant with different characteristics than it's parent (if grown from a leaf) or from how the plant originally looked. The tendency of AVs to sport has led to the large variety of bloom and leaf colors and types we have available today. Some plants sport for no apparent reason, but stress (caused by chemicals such as insecticides, by over-fertilization, too warm a temperature, etc.) can cause it too. If it's sporting, eventually your plant may only have purple blooms, so if you like the original appearance you can set leaves from the good side and grow some babies.

A plant will also sometimes revert to the appearance of one of its parents. A plant's parents may look nothing like their children!

Another possibility is that the plant has seasonal bloom changes. Some plants will flower differently during the year due to variations in light, temperature, and length of day. I have one plant with blooms that change so dramatically during the year that you wouldn't think it was the same plant. As the seasons pass, the original bloom characteristics return.

Enjoy your changing plant.

o

Hi,

I agree that it's probably reverting back to a parent's bloom. That's not uncommon for a bi or tri-colored violet. I had that happen to Voodoo Magic a few years back. Dark pink blooms with dark blue dots on one side and dark purple blooms on the other.

Enjoy your plant. It's kind of cool, isn't it?

o

Thank you both for your replies. I like both of the bloom types, but I would hate to lose the frilly pink ones entirely. I had no idea that a sport could overtake the whole plant eventually. I will follow your advice and try propagating a few leaves now as insurance.

(And yes, I do think it is 'cool' looking!) ;-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here