Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
philpet

Linda help!! does this av have mites

philpet
9 years ago

Hi linda and everyone, this is my Nothern Love av, its a sucker that I got and planted anyways about two months ago it got really droopy so I remove its bottom leaves and replantd it in its solo cup. It is now doing fine but I noticed the center leaves of the part nearest to the stem is very hairy and sort of yellow, now I noticed this about three days ago, could someone please tell me if its mites or because it now needs a bigger pot because the center leaves are sort of crowded? I will post another pic of the center . I really hop its not mites. :( Velleta

Comments (8)

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is what the center looks like. Velleta

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Velleta,

I would isolate it but it looks like it might be too much light. I think you may need a while to tell but as of now it doesn't look like mites. They don't look distorted, hard or twisted, just tight. Below is a picture of typical mite damage. Even before the center really gets tight, the leaves appear as the one at the 9:00 position. I think of them as 'crunchy'.

Be careful about removing leaves from a sick plant. Remember in our history books when they used to bleed people who were ill? It's sort of the same thing. Unless a plant has a very compromised root system that cannot support a full complement of leaves, leaf removal is not a good practice. Leaves are the only thing a plant has to sustain it. I know everyone does it, but from a plant biology standpoint, it is not a good practice. (Stepping down from soapbox...)

Anyway, take a leaf just in case, isolate and watch. Do you use any pesticides?

Linda

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for responding Linda,just to clear things up I had to remove the leaves,my plant got a bit of root rot so I had to remove a part of the root system,thus also the leaves which went droopy.and I hated doing it. Next light,they are on the north side so no direct light.and as for pesticides I do use them on my orchids but I have never used them on my violets so now I guess I will will just have to watch and see,I am praying its not mites though.â¹.velleta

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Velleta,

If your roots were rotting, then you did the right thing in leaf removal. It's all about maintaining a balance of top growth with roots.

Your northern exposure may be very bright even though there is no direct sun. How do your other violets do there? A trick is to put some tissue on the crown of a plant that is becoming tight. If it grows out a bit, it is usually too much light. If it doesn't, suspect a pest problem.

I would isolate it just to be sure. What do you use on your orchids for pests?

Linda

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Linda,so ok I use phyton27 for fungal problems BUT only if I have one which is rear thank the lord.and for spider mites which is the only pest that bothers me on occasions,I use ENGEO,it formulated for sucking pests and its systemic and contact but I only use as needed,I will try the tissue trick and see if it works,thanks for the info.velleta

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh sorry Linda,my other violets do wonderful in the same exposure,right now I have a few in bloom plus lots more in bud,even a very small sucker that I planted is now in bud,and this violet is the only one that has that look,but then again as you would say they are all different and unique in their own way,so they respond differently in their own way.velleta

• Karin
    9 years ago

Velleta,
    i have one great example for how differently two violets can react to light. even two you may think are the same - i had a little arapahoe, took off a sucker and planted it, then it sported and now has pale green leaves and pretty much any light bleaches them right out, i have to place that plant past the end of the grow lights (it keeps blooming there anyways), whilst the 'original' was happy mid center, well, until it got cold and rotted when someone opened the wrong window....

Karin

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow,Karin thanks for your input. I know what you mean,I guess we just have to continue adjusting until they find their perfect spot,as I said I really do hope it anything else except mites,and I have looked on a few pics of Av affected with mites and mine looks different,but then again it might be too early to tell.Velleta

Sponsored
Macanson Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Cabinetry & Flooring Company in Ashburn – Since 2013!