Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crystalr81

Best Place to purchase violets?

crystalr81
16 years ago

Hello everyone-

I'm new to the site and have a few questions. I'm getting a little more serious with violets now. I have only bought the wal-mart violets and have pretty much always had good luck with them. I have even managed to start new violets off leafs of the others. But i guess my question is where is the best place to get Violets from? I just ordered a everfloris violet from secured garden? I'm also very interested in the trailing violets but haven't found the color i want yet? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Comments (13)

• cajunkisses2007
    16 years ago

Crystal I have lots of extra small plants. Send me an email and we can talk.

cajunkisses@gmail.com

• User
    16 years ago

Hi Crystal, one grower I completely trust and have had great experience with over the past 2 yrs. is iceberg2000 on ebay.

Her name is Karin and she is one of the best on ebay. Her plants are reasonably priced to start. If you are looking for leaves she has a website. Just go this link

http://www.blossoms-birds-butterflies.com

I have never had a bad plant from her yet. And if for some reason you do, contact her and she will make it right. If you email her tell her davioletman recommended you. She will take care of you.

Dave

• m3rma1d
    16 years ago

I agree with Dave, Karin is my favest ebaY seller--I've not lost one plant from her! (And that's saying a lot since I kinda suck at this LOL)

• fred_hill
    16 years ago

Crystal,
    Look at the AVSA site and see if you can find a show near where you live. Most shows have a sale table with leaves and plants.
    Fred in NJ

Here is a link that might be useful: AVSA

• korina
    16 years ago

Not to mention, Fred, finding a local club with members anxious to find homes for their many extra babies and leaves.

Good luck with both, Crystal.

Korina

• erlyberd
    16 years ago

The cheapest way to get new plant material is using the exchange page on this and other websites. Normally you will trade for leaves but plants and plantlets are traded as well. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Freds suggestion works well. Plus you have the priviledge to see what the plants look like in some cases.

Fay's is a good place for leaves. Check out AVSA.org and go to vendor section and pick a state. This site also has info on area shows/sales that may be in your area. Ebay seems over priced to me but thats my opinion.

Other trading sites I have had luck with are Violet Reflections and Violet Voice.

• dreichenpsych
    15 years ago

If you're looking to buy online, and not from ebay, I highly recommend www.violetbarn.com. I think their prices are reasonable to others and all my starter plants came in perfect condition. The Violet Barn is located in up-state NY and the owners are the famous hybridizers of the Rob's and Ma's series of violets. They sell miniatures, standards, chimeras, trailers as well as other Gesneriads such as Streptocarpus, Kohleria, Columnea, and quite a few others. They have a GREAT selection of violets! Plus, if you search their site and you find a picture of their dogs, you type what their dogs "said" and you receive a free AV (seller's choice) with your order (you don't get to pick the variety, but you get to choose miniature, standard, or trailer).

• larry_b
    15 years ago

Hi,

I have also done business with iceberg2000 on eBay. Very good seller. I also like Exotic Violets.

If you want to do internet ordering then I like the following:

The Violet Barn - Rob's Violets - Have also done business with. You can order from his website.

Mail order only

The Violet Showcase - I have done business with them for years.

Lyndon Lyons

I hope this helps.

Larry

• sherbell
    15 years ago

I've been buying lots of plants on eBay from different sellers and only had one problem and feel that it was most likely caused by the postal service. (What on earth do they do with those boxes?)
    Anyway, I like iceberg2000, hoovers hybrids, mbeaz45 and Jack's violets. The plants from these sellers always arrived in great shape and I potted most of them up the same day they arrived. Yes, sometimes they were a little on the pricey side, but they're all thriving! Most of these sellers will send an extra plant as a thank you and will answer any questions you have.
    You've chosen a great addiction Crystal, best of luck with all your av endeavors.

• irina_co
    15 years ago

I would just add - that unless you want some rare plant you cannot find- try to check the AVSA vendors first - usually they are significantly cheaper, they also put an extra plant plus we need to support their business - it is their living - and they are hybridizers, not just sellers. If we abandon them - we won't get any new hybrids coming.

Irina

• james_ny
    15 years ago

I've bought from Lyndon Lyons and Rob's [violetbarn]. Both were terific, with many perfect blooming plants. Only Rob's ships in winter. Local club shows are a great way to buy, sometimes they have many vendors like lyndon lyons suppling plants.

• larius
    15 years ago

Lyndon Lyon states on their website's front page that they will begin shipping through winter this year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lyndon Lyon Greenhouses

• irina_co
    8 years ago

I am sorry for your disappointment - but I believe it is a misunderstanding. You can only get good size blooming plants - if they are delivered in a certain way - packed in sleeves, set in boxes with lids way above flowers, sent across the country in climate controlled trucks and opened looking no worse for the wear. Translates - Optimara. Big plants are quite breakable - and will not come in one piece if sent through the regular post.

Good local nursery is a best bet for blooming plants. You won't get the varieties that Violet Barn sells - and you most probably won't get named plants - but you will get a very nice gift for your family and friends.

I hope you will agree with my explanation. If not - you can run an experiment - take a good size blooming violet - pack it to your best - and send it across the country. Ask your addressee to send you a photo of what he gets. Broken leaves, soil all over the place, wilted flowers...

And yes - every so often when Violet Barn is out of good size plants - they send new starters way too early. They should mark these varieties as "Out of Stock" and keep growing them for another month. They do not do it all the time - but - happens. I am not saying they should send big blooming plants - but sturdy well established starter is expected. Usually they have excellent plants in a beginning of the season.

i.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH