Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bloodyfrancois

I don't know where to ask about Streptocarpus from Rob's

bloodyfrancois
15 years ago

I have never grown any Streptocarpus berfore. And now I got

3of Strep from Violetbarn. Please help me, what I should do with them. I mean that if I should change the soil to peat/perlite/vermiculite=1/1/1 as for the violets. Should I do it as soon as possible? Here is the picture of 1 of the

Strep.

{{gwi:364431}}

Comments (9)

• thominindy
    15 years ago

Looks like fun. You can find info on the Streptocarpus on the Gesneriad forum.

Thom

• bloodyfrancois
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thom -- Thanks a lot. I am very glad that they have info
    about Strep in the Gesneriad forum which I have never take a look there before. Yeah, it looks like fun to have the streps.. but now I am afraid of killing them instead hehe...

Thanks again.

• lilypad22
    15 years ago

Thats going to be a pretty one. One thing is don't plant them in too big a pot, I repotted mine up into too big a size and there was too much damp soil and the roots rotted. Also don't keep them too wet, they don't like that either. I'm sure the strep growers on the gesneriad forum can help you more. I have hit and miss luck with mine, but I love the blooms so I keep trying. tish

• carol222
    15 years ago

Hi,Thom,
    It takes a little time for the plant to recover from its travel. The less you do, the better, at first. Give it bright, indirect light, and water only when the soil is dry. Not a lot of water, either. Sometimes the plants collapse from all the changes - water type, light, temp - if so, start a propagation from one of the leaves. The pic on the right is the fastest for me.
    It will probably flower soon. Enjoy the flower, then cut it off, and let the plant grow a bit. Then you can pot it into a 2 or 3 inch pot in your new soil mix.
    Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Strep leaf prop

• luvofroses
    15 years ago

I have 2 streps from Violet Barn that I recieved about 4 weeks ago. I was told to repot them into violet soil with the 1/3 perlite and 1/3 vermiculite back in to the same pots they were shipped in( unless they are in bloom them wait for them to finish blooming before changing the soil)I have my Tractor Beam putting up a bud now and Potporri just finished blooming. Still in their little pots. The rule for potting up is about the same as the violets. Enjoy your streps. The Gesneriad Forum is a great place to learn all about these cousins to the AV.
    Ann

• User
    15 years ago

I would wait at least a week before even thinking of repotting the Strep. This gives it time to adjust from the travel and to it's new environment.

When you are ready to repot, do not repot into too large a container. Streps will tolerate being a little too dry over being to wet. The roots will definitely rot if kept to wet.
    You also want to keep the crown a little above the soil line, not even with it. This keeps the crown from drawing moisture from the soil, preventing it from rotting.If the Strep starts to droop from being too dry, don't worry. It will perk up once given water.

As far as the soil goes, using a 1:1:1 ratio like violets is fine. Light is the same as violets or just slightly brighter.

Enjoy! These plants are great! Once mature, you will have a beautiful, full, and in most cases constant blooming beauty.

Dave

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Mine do not like 1:1:1 = I always add more perlite, more coarse perlite and a layer of a coarse perlite on a bottom. With all this air they are not afraid of overwatering.

Otherwise - I am all with Dave. I do not water mine until they are bone dry and ready to start drooping. They will survive a serious drooping - but the flowers will be ratty.

Party Girl is the easiest one to grow, the flowers are a total delight. You will be very happy.

Irina

• bloodyfrancois
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tish -- Thank you. And I am sorry to hear that you couldn't
    keep your streps.

Carol -- Thank you for the link. It is very helpful to me.
    I cut a leave and did as I saw on it. Thanks again.

Ann -- Thank you. I just take a look at the Tractor Beam and Potpourri. They are very pretty.

Dave -- Thank you. For the time being, the Yumpin Yimminy is blooming. I will repot them after they finish blooming as you told me.

Irin -- Thank you. Give you a big hug.

Here is the picture of Bristol's Yumpin Yimminy.

I could not believe that it can be still blooming beautifully today after flying all the way with half-the-world distance.

Thank you to you all.

Kai

Bristol's Yumpin Yimminy.

{{gwi:364432}}

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Kai -

If you want to try to your luck in hybridizing - you can pollinate them by hand - pollen from one to pistil of another - and if it takes - you will get the long pod. Very often they self pollinate =- so you can try to sow these seeds = but if you do not plan to do it right now - get rid of them old stems and spent flowers as soon as they wilt to save the energy for more blooming.

Very cute!!!

Irina