Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
AVs at work

Posted by MojaveLove 5 - IL (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 6, 11 at 21:18

I'm thinking about getting an AV for my desk, I have a long, narrow stand that I keep all my photos on and it is perfect for an AV because it is a foot or so under the fluorescent lights at my desk. Two questions:

- how fast do AVs grow, if I get a starter size standard in a 2-in pot how long will it stay in that pot? A few months? A year? I was thinking of doing this (for some reason I seem to like standard flowers more, they seem more floofy and showy or something) and then bringing it home when it gets big and starting overer with another but I can't have tons of AVs.

- what do you do about lighting while you're gone over the weekend? I can move mine easily to a table that is by a southern facing window but I could see myself forget every once in a while and I'm curious to others solutions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: AVs at work

AVs grow at different rates, but a 2" pot wouldn't last very long - weeks to a couple of months or so. A common practice is for pots to be 1/3 of the plant's diameter. A regular standard at 12" would need a 4" pot. If you don't have 12" of growing space you can keep the plant trimmed to a smaller size, for example 9" in a 3" pot. That way you (in theory - practice is altogether different!) wouldn't be bringing the work one home and buying more.

If you have a computerized calendar program at work or in your personal email service you could set up a recurring reminder to move the plant to the table every Friday afternoon. However, even if you forgot, a dark weekend every now and then wouldn't kill the plant. Another idea is to get a plant light as shown in the link below, set up a timer, and never worry about moving the plant.

Good luck - flowers can be a great work de-stressor!

Here is a link that might be useful: Desktop Plant Light

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here