Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephanielvt

Dandy's

stephanielvt
15 years ago

Anyone know much about the Dandy pots and if they're as great as they say they are. I really would like something more attractive than the plastic pots and trays. Do you wick the AV in them or is it more of a "self-watering" thing? Thanks!

Steph

Comments (7)

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Hi Steph,
    If you intend to show your violets in an affiliate show I would not use them simply because of the rim support. Flared top pots are not allowed.
    Fred in NJ

• lilypad22
    15 years ago

They are wicked. If you have seen a pic, the water goes into the bottom part and the pot sits on top with the wick hanging thru to the water. Also some violet ladies in my club just set their potted plant in that top pot (instead of actually planting in the top pot) and hang the wick down thru the top pot and into the bottom. They work fine...but the oyama pots work great...they are just plain plastic though. But you can put any wicked arrangement down inside a decorative pot or planter to hide the "works".

• katlady4
    15 years ago

I'm glad this subject came up. I just potted one of my established plants in a Dandy pot. It works as it should but it seems to wick up so much water, making the plant sopping wet. I had the same problem with oyoma pot. If the plant is supposed to be that wet, I'm underwatering the ones I bottom water. Any suggestions. Oh - I am using potting soil said to be for wicked plants. It seems to be quite light.

Kathy

• stephanielvt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Do you run a wick for the Oyama pots? I was thinking about getting those, as they are much cheaper. I wasn't sure if the Dandy's and Oyamas worked by the plant just "hovering" over the water, or if there was actually a wick going on in there. And I couldn't decide on a color for the Dandy's! I don't plan on showing...I'm trying to keep them alive and just have nice looking hobby plants. I want something as low maintenance, but at effective as possible. :)

Steph

• lilypad22
    15 years ago

If the soil is too wet, you need to add more perlite to your mix. I also have some made for wicking soil and had to add more perlite...I ended up using it only to root leaves and cuttings, it works great for that..and used my own mix for wicking. Also you can add less water and do not re-fill with water until it uses it all up.

The oyama pots do not hover. The top pot bottom is not flat, it is molded plastic but has an area in the center that goes down to the bottom of the bottom pot...into this hollow protrusion and on up into the planting pot, you fill with perlite -there is a fill line. So the perlite actually does the wicking. Sort of like Texas watering.

• katlady4
    15 years ago

Thanks for the information. I kind of thought that might be the solution. I'm going to let the plant dry out and then replant, adding perlite. With the oyama pot, I added the perlite to the fill line, but I think maybe the soil itself needed more perlite. I'm going to try again.

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Katlady -

I think Dandy's are OK - for office window for example. You just need even lighter soil - 1:3:1 with peat-perlite-vermiculite - and put a layer of perlite in the bottom.

Irina