Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rambler24

Anyone around Knoxville interested in starting a club?

rambler24
13 years ago

I was wondering if there is anybody who lives in or around Knoxville, TN who is interested in starting an african violet club? I recently posted an add on craigslist but received no replies. I would really like to be part of a club but the nearest one I found is in Chattanooga, TN which is about an hour and half away. If anyone in my area is interested please let me know and we will try to organize something. Thanks.

Comments (4)

• robitaillenancy1
    13 years ago

I suggest you put up notices in churches, post office, and local newspapers.

Nancy

• nwgatreasures
    13 years ago

Rambler,
    I want to encourage you to get this going if it's something that you are drawn to and interested in.

AVSA has information about how to get an affiliate started. I realize you may not want to do it at that level but the ideas will help you with a game plan.

I like the idea(s) already shared and will add the following:

Write a leter to the editor of your local newspaper(s) and announce that a group is in the preliminary formation stages and you're looking for people who "love and grow violets or who *want* to love and grow violets". Make sure you clarify that all experience levels are welcome.
    Put your contact information in the letter and see what happens.

Make some postcard/flyers (if you do postcard size, you can get 4 to a page and expense will be less) and place at local garden centers, botanical gardens, design centers, or any places that the kind of people you want to attract will frequent) and pass them out yourself. If you attend church or any kind of social groups, pass the cards out there. A Garden Club could be of great assistance to help you get people participating and promote this adventure.

Talk to the newspaper and tell them you're forming a group and ask if they would be willing to help you promote african violets by having them photograph some of your collection or you can share the pictures with them yourself for them to print.

I encourage you to meet once a month or so for at least 6 months so that word of mouth has a chance to take hold. Just because you are the one who organizes it doesn't mean you are the one who has to be *responsible* for it indefinitely. Gather in and attract people with good organization skills and who are willing to step up to make it work. The more of a "team effort" you have, the better it will be and the more enjoyment you will get out of it. Attract people who have an abundance mentality and not a scarcity mentality - abundance will help the group thrive and grow and there won't be territory issues withint the group :)

Then see what happens :)
    I bet your area could support a thriving and blooming group and you aren't required to become an affiliate immediately - although you'd eventually want to do that so you could reap the benefits of AVSA.

DAVS (Dixie African Violet Society) may have some information to offer to you too.

Whatever you decide, my best wishes. These plants are great but the people associated with them are the BEST!

• rambler24
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you both for the great advice. I will definately try to implement these ideas. Hopefully I can get something up and going soon.

• bspofford
    13 years ago

A couple more ideas....

Contact the local garden clubs and ask them to 'announce' to their membership that you are interested in finding others that share you love of African violets.

Contact your local adult education or extended education office and offer to teach a class about African violet culture. If they are interested, tie that into the local newspaper article potential. I did that, not as a way to promote myself, but a way to generate the interest that will hopefully result in a club.

Contact AVSA and ask Lynne Wilson to send you a list of AVSA members in your area.

Good luck!

Barbara