Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My cat destroyed my African Violet. Is there hope?

Posted by imaginae Oregon (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 9, 11 at 21:55

I've had this wonderful African Violet for years. It's never failed to bloom for me every few months and has always been vibrant and easy to take care of. However, I recently moved across the country, and despite my best efforts, the poor thing lost most of it's leaves. So I put it in a safe place by a window and hoped that it would grow.

Well it didn't die, but it didn't grow any new leaves either. I've been waiting and waiting for it to regrow, but I came home today and found that my room mate's cat had torn off all of it's remaining leaves. I am very very sad.

So do any of you know if it's possible to revive an African Violet that has lost all of it's leaves? Is there hope? Or should I just give up on it?

Thank You.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My cat destroyed my African Violet. Is there hope?

Hello imaginae

I'm not the best person to help you, but most people on this forum are not very active on the weekends so I will try to help for now. As long as there is life in the center crown you can save your plant. If the cat did not eat it down to the neck you should have some life left. I have rescued violets from the box stores that were broken, smashed, and dying, never lost one. So keep your plant from the cat and tomorrow you will get some appropriate help

You only have one violet? You need more violets.

Thom

o

Hello Imaginae,

Like Thom, I'm no expert on these things, but I've had some success with saving dying plants from my local box stores. If you have no leaves at all, I think you're going to have a hard to saving the plant since there is nothing to trigger the photosynthesis.

I totally recommend you try to save it though, if for no other reason than the challenge of it. I would place the plant under fluorescent light, make sure it's in appropriate moistened soil, and place a ziplock baggie over it to maintain moisture. If nothing happens after a month, then the plant probably isn't going to make it.

Do you know what type it was? Perhaps you could obtain a leaf to start over.

o

Excellent Advice. If the stem is alive and well - it will send a new growth - especially under the baggie. Just be sure that the soil is barely moist, not wet.

o

Hi,
You might try putting it into a plastic baggie to retain some of the moisture in it, Just don't put the baggie in the sun or it will cook the plant. Are there any leaves left at all?
If so you could put one down in some potting mix and restart it that way.
Fred in NJ

o

I hope your African Violet came back!

I just put my first and only AV on a window and I am praying my cats stay away during the middle of the night!

o
Curious RE: My cat destroyed my African Violet. Is there hope?

• Posted by nyxx z7 Virginia (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 15, 12 at 15:57

Does anyone happen to know how this plant turned out? Did it survive or was it lost? Just curious

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here