Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red violets

Posted by minimac 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 2, 09 at 22:11

Hello,
I've been busy re-potting. Been waiting for my order from the Violet Barn. I felt a little silly ordering wick potting mix, but now so glad I did. Theirs is so much more course than what I mixed myself. Vermiculite, some pieces look like Indian beads. Perlite was also bigger, and much more of it than what I had added. The peat smelled ever so good after water was added. Glad I got it.

My next violet order I would love to get some true reds. Cardinal red, Christmas red, stop sign red, fire engine red. What out there have you seen or grown have been the closest to these colors from Lyon's or Violet Barn. Was thinking maybe Buffalo Hunt, Tomahawk, Ma's Crime Scene. Ma's Red Rover, Spring Cardinal, Jolly Texan. I've never seen a red in person. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Debbie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red violets

Hi Debbie, I have Tomahawk and it is a beautiful red and I also have Ma's stewed tomatoe. I am waiting to see my Ma's almost autumn as I just received it on march 3rd. The one red I am trying to find is pow wow that looks like a real fire engine red._Terri

o

I have powwow and it is my favorite..here is a picture of mine..:0)..marigene

o

Terri, Lyndon Lyon's has pow wow. They have it listed as "limited availability". Marigene, I have enjoyed your pictures and your show violets were beautiful. Congratulations! In this picture of pow wow, to me it looks violet (purple red). Is the color in your picture true? (perhaps it's my computer) There lies my problem - I'll see a picture on a site then see another picture with the same violet name some place else and the red is totally different. They have a blue over lay or purple cast. Could growing conditions affect the color?

o

The bloom toward the front is the bloom with the closest color.I took the picture with floresent light and I think that makes it a tiny bit lighter...Im not sure about growing conditions.I guess it could..I just put more leave down so will have babies to share after a while...my email is Marigenecole@aol.com if you want me to mail you leaves or want to wait for babies...:0)..marigene

o

My vote for reds go to Arapahoe, Tomahawk, Bob Serbin, Aca's Red Ember,Mark and Mary D.
Fred in NJ

o

Here's my Bob Serbin.

Bob Serbin

o

Here's my Arapahoe (one that Fred mentioned). It's color looks very different depending on the light - pink, red, maroonish-red, or maroonish-black! I can photograph the same flower in different light and the colors will be different. The flash affects the color too. That may be what you are seeing in different photos of the same named AV. This picture is the closest to how it looks in real life. There isn't yet a true red, but hybridizers are working on that!

Photobucket

o

Photobucket

Hi everyone, here is a picture of my first Tomahawk baby born 5/23/08 and this is his first flower on 2/24/09._Terri

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here