Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mojavelove

Waiting impatiently for my new order

MojaveLove
12 years ago

Really excited.

Ordered Rob's Combustible Pigeon (thanks everyone for helping me identify it), Rob's Cotton Ball and Irish Flirt for my desk at work. These will be my first AVs. I usually only have foliage plants but am dabbling in bloomers now.

I was going on and on about them to my FI and he told me I should get some for the house so now I need to find a Standard or Russian Standard!

It's going to be about a week though!

Does anyone have these, are any of them profuse bloomers? What do you think about them?

Comments (35)

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Hello Mojave.. Happy Easter! to you and Everyone here.

So you got the AV on the magazine cover? lol..Would you happen to know if that particular AV is a Standard or Large. It looks big, but sometimes pics are deceiving.

Wish I could find the thread. Two or so years ago, someone posted an AV pic..the width of this violet was unbelievable..I think 30-something inches..

What sizes are the first 3 AV's you bought? Have you ever considered Large, though someone said, the Russian's Standard was equivlant to USA's Large size. Don't know if it's fact.

I have an Irish something or other..vere pretty foliage.

Have fun shopping..Toni

• MojaveLove
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Happy Easter!

They are all minis :)

30 inches? Where the heck does anyone KEEP that!

• larry_b
    12 years ago

Hi MojaveLove,

I thought I already responded to this post a few minutes ago, but see no evidence. So I will try again.

Most of Rob's violets are very floriferous. I think they will do well for you if you keep them happy.

Larry

• fred_hill
    12 years ago

Hi Mojave,
    I find that the Russian varieties are not as easy to grow as most of the American varieties. If you want some AV's that are easy to grow, I would suggest that you pick up a couple Optimara plants. Most of them are grown easily in a window and are really tough plants with good bloom. As for Robs plants I find that they sucker a lot. I much prefer minis or semis from Pitman. She has hybridized the Jolly series of plants. Good luck with your new plants and remember the first rule of growing AV's, always isolate new plants from the others to prevent spreading diseases.
    Fred in NJ

• MojaveLove
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone.

I ordered these for my desk at work - I have a free-standing shelf on my desk for pictures and the like that sits right under a fluorescent light that is under my cabinets. There aren't any other plants in the immediate area so I don't need to worry about that :)

Thanks for the tip that the sucker a lot, I will keep an extra eye out for those. I have plants at work to keep me from getting stressed (when I stress I go fuss with them) so this is almost a "plus" for me lol

• tnferguson
    12 years ago

Hi Mojave,

It looks like you and I are in a similar situation with our AVs. I've got a shelf at work with a 2 tube fluorescent fixture under it. I've got a couple of no-name plants that are doing very well in the office. Back in the end of February I ordered several leaves to start plants (including a couple of Rob's varieties). I've got babies now on all of the leaves except one.

You're right about having plants to fuss over helps with work stress. Good luck with your new plants!

-Tim

• MojaveLove
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Having plants at work is great. Everyone gives me their dying plants and then steals them back when they are healthy! It makes me sad lol

Fred, I posted another post thanking you for the tip on Russian AVs but it didn't post for some reason. Depending on how well I do with my mini's I plan on getting a standard. Question on Optimara plants - they are generally noIDs when bought at shops right? I looked on their selling website and they don't have too many up, though they do have some nice ones up.

• irina_co
    12 years ago

I had some issues at work - they changed water treatment from chlorine to chloramine and it was it. But before that I had no trouble. I had a T8 shoplight hanging 20 inches above my file cabinets - and violets grew just right on the top of these cabinets.

I would start with green leaf varieties. I am thinking about something really tough - and in my experience Max Maas hybrids are. Something like Chris, The King. It is probably not easy to find them now - but they are very good.

Anybody else can recommend cast iron AVs?

Irina

• MojaveLove
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The Orchid folks got me into that thinking. I don't use soil in any of my mixes, everything is soil-less and I've read that it is best to use urea-free with soil-less mixes because urea can't breakdown with soil-less, it needs the bacteria in the soil. Couldn't tell you if this is true or not though!

Or maybe it was somewhere else that I've read that. Well, either way.

• MojaveLove
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have access to a reverse osmosis system, I just need to find fertilizer without Urea. Not easy! And since my order is already placed I'm really hoping to not have to make another one because of shipping :o/

• m3rma1d
    12 years ago

"I just need to find fertilizer without Urea. Not easy!"

Don't buy in to the paranoia about urea in fertilizer. Just repot your African violets regularly and there's no need to worry. Repot every 6 months for standards, every 4 months for minis/semis.

--m3rma1d

• irina_co
    12 years ago

DynaGro

• Christine
    12 years ago

According to some, e.g., http://www.optimara.com/africanvioletcare2.html , urea can cause African Violet root burn, which interferes with the ability of the roots to take in water and nutrients. However, I have read on other sites that some urea is ok, if it is less than 10%, and many African Violet fertilizers do contain urea. Optimara is, of course, touting their own non-urea fertilizers, which you can find on their website. I bought a one-lb. tub of the 14-12-14 years ago and because I only use 1/4 teas. per gallon of water, still have lots left. When I run out, I'll probably switch to the Dyna-Gro Foliage-Pro Irina recommended, since I've heard so many positive testimonials about it.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Mojave..had to search for that pic..
    The threads name is 'African Violet Questions.'

The pic was posted by M3rmald.

It's actually 36" I'll try copying and pasting..don't know if it'll work.

You MUST see this plant...Toni

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/afrviolet/msg0502300214062.html

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

M3. I'm sure you know what you're talking about.

Regarding Urea, it was on this Forum I was told to use a non-Urea type fertilizer.
    Found it on Ebay..Dynagro. A lot more $ than AV fertililers containing Urea.

So you're saying it doesn't matter if AV fertilier has Urea??

Mojave...did you get your order yet? If so, what do you think? Any favorites?

You keep a 30+" AV on a pedestal where everyone can have a look-see..lol..

Fred, if you're here, do you remember the picture of the large AV? I think it was you who posted it. Toni

• m3rma1d
    12 years ago

Or, you coulda just asked me to post it again...

Here ya go:

{{gwi:364592}}

--m3rma1d

• MojaveLove
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Whoa.

That is A PLANT. Does it eat small mammals? lol

"You keep a 30+ AV on a pedestal where everyone can have a look-see..lol.. " Ha - touche. Very true!

Mine have not yet come in, hopefully they do tomorrow as I asked them to make sure it arrives on a work day because it is being sent to me at work, kind of nervous. It was shipped yesterday so we will see...I will share pics as soon as I can :)

• irina_co
    12 years ago

My best guess - it is "Tiger". Both Tiger and Tiger's Son can be humongous (hope I spelled it right) - and I would say - without any special effort. You need to keep them on wicks and under the lights and repot by molding method ina next size pot every 2 months. Of course better have a support ring - but can do without too.

When these varieties bloom - it is the most beautiful royal blue, but they do not bloom all the time, they take rest.

Irina

• m3rma1d
    12 years ago

It is Tiger, and that is David Dick from VA who grew it.

--m3rma1d

• e36yellowm3
    12 years ago

Wow - that's amazing. Thanks for posting! Something to aspire to ;-)

Alana

• MojaveLove
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They came in!!

They were packed SO WELL I couldn't believe it. Not one mark on them, not one loose leaf or bloom. Healthy, compact and adorable. Everyone at work was cooing over them.

To my pleasant surprise ALL are producing buds and Irish Flirt has a bunch of blooms and lots more on the way.

Pics tomorrow if I don't get around to it today :)

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

M3...thanks so much for reposting...That image has been in my mind the last 2-3 yrs!

Actually, I thought it was Fred Hill who posted the pic, but no matter who did, I wouldn't have had the nerve to ask. :)
    Don't want to put anyone through any trouble.

Mojave...glad your AV's came in..You sound sooo happy.

You never posted pics, which means, you're probably still playing w/your new plants.. :) Toni

• MojaveLove
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I know, I will post pics later today! :)

I will have to show you before and after pics - before I potted them and after. Repotting minis is REALLY HARD I unfortunately each plant lost a leaf or two. They were perfectly in the center of the little plastic cup and now they're off center with spaces where leaves used to be and dirt all over them that I can't get off...uggh! Hopefully they will eventually balance themselves out :/

I never did like repotting lol

• thominindy
    12 years ago

You will get better at re-potting. Read the forum, watch the videos and find what works for you.

I let my plants get used to their new pot for a few days, and then remove the dirt from the leaves with a soft brush.

Lyndon Lyons charge cleared my bank today, so I an now "Waiting impatiently for my new order." And I am very excited too, waiting for two Chimeras (Yukako is one) and eight leaves.

Happy growing, Thom

• bspofford
    12 years ago

"dirt all over them that I can't get off...uggh!"

When I repot, I moisten the top layer of potting mix, then I blow on the leaves to remove errant dirt. If I can't blow it off, I use a soft artists brush.

Yeah, it gets all over, but at least it isn't on the plants. Isn't that why they invented Dustbusters?

Barbara

• MojaveLove
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I know I promised pictures so I am going to share the "before I messed with them" when they were cute and perfect.

{{gwi:364593}}

I accidently left them in the (South) window on a sunny day too, surprisingly two did fine but my Irish Flirt is NOT happy with me. Browning blooms and sunburn :( So this is the "after I messed with them and then burnt them too" lol - happily Cotton Ball is blooming despite the stress (and happy stress-free blooms to boot), Combustible Pigeon is still just a little ol' bud, nothing else yet.

{{gwi:364594}}

• fred_hill
    12 years ago

HI Mojave,
    Most Home Depots and Lowes carry Optimara plants although they are not named very often. You can find the names by going to the OPtimara website and comparing them with the pictures. You can also send a pic of the plant to Selectivegardener.com and ask if they can id the plant. If you go to a local show many times you can purchase plants therfe which are named. I usually do all my shopping at them. Many times they will also have a good selection of leaves which you can purchase for a dollar or two. I generally start my search for varieties there because I can control them with isolation. AS for Maas varieties you can generally find many of them at local NJ shows. Mr. Maas was a NJ hybridizer who was a member of the Union County club here in NJ. I in fact picked up two at a club meeting in February.
    Fred in NJ

Irina let me know what you are looking for and maybe I can find them for you.

• Catherine Smith
    12 years ago

WOW! Where did you order your plants from? they're so cute! i only have one, so i need to expand my collection :)

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

I found 'Irish Flirt' to be a shade unforgiving. I'm not sure why. I lost my first one. When I reordered it (b/c I'm nuts for green), I left it inside a humidity dome with the others from that batch for... well all winter. And now it's out and acting robust, so I think it just has a longer period of immature delicacy.

Cotton ball is indestructible, though. ^_^b Definitely blooms a lot too.

• MojaveLove
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, the Cotton Ball is very hardy I am learning. Thankfully! While it has a few small spots of burn, nothing died, not even buds.

Combustible Pigeon is hardy too, bud the buds died. Irish Flirt is still sulking, lost some leaves and all buds, but there are some tiny leaves poking out of the crown now, don't know if this came about post-sun or not, though. I saved a leaf of all three from when I repotted and am trying to root those, however I am only expecting results from the Combustible Pigeon leaf as that was a full leaf and stem. The others either had no stem or a nub. But yes, Cotton Ball is buddin' up a storm right now! One full bloom in, one on the way, and a bunch more will follow. Can't wait :)

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Great to hear Combustible Pigeon is a toughie, too. Another one that really takes the cake is Fuzzy Navel. I swear, I could drop a leaf on the kitchen floor and it would root in the tiles.

It sounds like you're in good shape with new leaves on the way, but if, for whatever reason, Irish Flirt doesn't pull through, send me an email and I'll post you a leaf.

• irina_co
    12 years ago

Fred -

thank you for you generous suggestion. I lost my The King - managed to sell all my babies - but probably I can a leaf from one our Master Judges. Janet Reimer sent me "Frankie" which is supposed to be Max Maas blue of choice. "Sashah" is unkillable, "Becky" is lovely as well a "Tina". But my beloved is "Maas' Janet". I am saying "wow" every time it blooms.

I do not have Maas' Memories anymore - in my conditions it grows XXX-large and it drops the bloooms immediately. It is highly floriferows - but what i see mostly - is the bare bloomstalks whith no flowers.

For whatever reason all Rob's trailers grow fabulous for me, some of his semis too, but not all, some get eversuckery, and Ma's varieties are never spectacular for me. I just love Rob's Boondoggle - and it is always in bloom and it always super floriferous and holds flowers forever.

It seems to me that the closer to your conditions the hybridizer lived - the better the violets do for you. I got some standard Russian trailers - and they superperform for me - and for my friends in Florida - who are beter growers than me - they barely grow.

Irina

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

That's an interesting observation about the Russians. These grow well in my conditions as well, outperforming everything else.

I can't say any of Rob's mini/semis sucker particularly for me, but some of Ma's standards do. Ma's used to be spectacular for me and now they are less so, so clearly I've changed something they liked. Either they preferred Minneapolis, preferred natural light, or preferred having a pebble tray. Whatever the case, now the minis and trailers are doing better, so: -_- I'm clearly too stupid to speak Gesneriad.

• irina_co
    12 years ago

G. -

just never call yourself stupid. Do not even think this way. Bad Karma!

probably water. You moved in a direction of alkaline water.
    Since trailers and standards have different Saintpaulia species as predecessors - their tolerance of Ph in a water is different. Cannot say anything regarding Russian Violets, I would thing Minneapolis with more rains is closer to Moscow in climate. They mostly do not do extremely well for me, trailers are an exception.

Regarding Pearcea schimphii - Judy Becker - lauray.com carries it.

Irina

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Thanks, Irina! Both for the kind words and the lead on schimpfii!

I hadn't thought about the differences in ph tolerance, but this is a pretty cool explanation. I need to start studying Gesneriads more seriously. I'm humbled to admit they've been getting the short end of the stick for a while around here, but this is the year to rectify all that.