Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdsnblooms

African Violet questions.

birdsnblooms
15 years ago

Hi. I've been growing AV's for a number of years, but tonight while browsing the internet I found sections that mentioned suckers.

What exactly are they? If left on an AV, will they take over/kill the plant? Similar to rootstock on a grafted tree?

It also stated suckers can be rooted. How is this done?

What exactly do suckers look like?

It also said, AV's should be repotted every 6 months? I think they do best when potbound, so do they mean adding fresh soil without increasing pot size? My AV's are in 4" pots.

Oh and would anyone happen to know a standard 'large' AV by name? Large leaves and/or flowers?

Fertilizer was another mystery..I've been using AV fertilizers for years, but a few articles suggested adding a balanced fert like 20-20-20. Not to mention at every watering. Isn't that a bit much?

One more question. Has anyone ever shopeed at Violet Gallery? If so, do they ship healthy, nice-niced plants? Most of my AV's came from Violet Barn/Robs in 2004, but I've heard they now send smaller plants..is this true? If anyone has info on either nursery, can you please fill me in? Thanks so much..Toni

Comments (102)

• quinnfyre
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Boy, you got the bug bad! Tee hee. I think you've surpassed my number now. I'm quite happy with what I have right now, though. Orchids, on the other hand... good thing I have no more room.

You would love the weather we're having right now. 80s and humid. 60 percent humidity in my house right now. Whew.

Where is your burb, if you don't mind my asking? I went to high school in SW suburban Chicago, so I'm just curious.

For rooting... I get the soil damp, but not soggy. If it looks like you can wring water out of it, that's too much. I then seal it in a plastic sandwich baggie. I keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't dry out or start rotting, and also to see if there's any action going on. Um, very slow paced action... ha. Just don't leave it in direct sun, or you will bake your poor little leaf or sucker.

Ok, off to try and accomplish something today without melting...

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL Quinn..Where have you been?? I thought you were hiding out, you've been gone so long.
    Yes, guess I caught the AV bug, and the more AV's are mentioned and seen, well, you know the rest :)
    I don't know how people can live without some type of greenery in their homes..Not artificial..the real deal.
    There's a new home built nearby..the entire front and part roof is glass..NOT one plant..What the heck?
    Oh I live in Brookfield..Ever heard of Brookfield Zoo? We're about 1 mile away..
    What school did you attend? and which burb?
    I was born in Chicago, but we moved out of the city 20 yrs ago, mainly to get away from gangs, drugs, and all the other crap..Too bad the burbs are now having problems, but nowhere as bad as the city..My brothers a Chicago Police Officer..I worry about him every time he goes to work..he works in dangerous neighborhoods.
    Anyway, back to plants, lol...I'd never allow soil to get wring-a-sponge wet..other than Papyrus, Juncus, and a Draceana (can't recall its name) that is grown in water, plant soil drys a bit between watering, cactus and succulents even more.

Quinn, you think I have more AV's than you? How many do you have? Not that I'm comparing...actually feel better when people tell me they have 5 times as many as I do..LOL..
    I'm curious about Senks..lol..the one posted on Ebay turned out to be a mini..I don't want to get into minis, 'just yet.' I wonder if Senks come in standards. I'd love a Senk with long leaves, but standard. Dark or variegated leaves, flowers don't matter..Do you know if anything like that exists?
    Oh wanted to add, it's in the high 90's and humidity is about 95%...Perfect..LOL..in fact, I've been bringing plants outside most of the day..finished dinner..After this post, it's back outside..Problem is running out of room..LOL..
    Oh Quinn, don't say you don't have room for more plants. There's always room for one, two, three more..LOL..how about minis?
    What type of orchids do you have? You may have mentioned it, above, I'll have to reread. I only have a few..one Dendrobian, spelling. 1 green vanilla 1 vanilla variegated and 1 Ludisa. That's it..I think.
    Well, off to work outside..been procrastinating..LOL. Take care, and don't be a stranger, Quinn..hugs, Toni

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Hi Again Toni,
    Suckers are pretty easy to start. I cut it off the main stem and take off some leaves, enough to give me a stem to set into damp soil. Try putting a handfull of mix in your hand and squeeze it, if it drips it's too wet, if it falls apart its too dry. Look for a happy medium where it holds together but falls apart when poked with a finger. I cover it making a greenhouse and put it back on my stand. Never in a window with direct sun. I seal it tight to retain the moisture and check it weekly to make sure it hasn't dried out.
    I sent you the link to our clubs site so you could see some of the things that go on in a club (I'm trying to con you into going to a meeting). My local club is about 25 minutes away from my home. The Tristate AV council and judges council is about 90 minutes away but that meets on Saturday mornings three times a year so traveling to that one isn't much of a problem since I car pool it with another member.
    As for Senk plants, to me they are oddities that are too sparse on bloom and out of control in symmetry. I don't grow any of them and don't intend to in the future. The closest thing I have to one is a hybrid of George McDonalds which he crossed using one of his plants. It doesn't bloom well and suckers like crazy. I think S.sigi falls is a good plant but it doesn't bloom well. It's easy to grow all you have to do to it is repot it every 9 months and let it sucker. I would look for a start at a vendor who carries species. Leaves are good and a lot cheaper than entire plants.
    Fred in NJ

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good evening Fred and AV'ers. I had to take a break.. so far got about 85% of my house plants outdoors. Still have the front yard to work on, but that'll be done either tomorrow or Sat since it's 8pm. Friday is my big house cleaning day, but hauling plants out AND fertilizing is the number 1 priorty. It feels good getting outdoors after being cooped up all winter. I can use some sun..We Illinoinians don't tan between Oct-May.

Will a north window be enough light for the sucker, Fred? The window is unobstructed, in front of the kitchen sink where I can keep an eye on it. What do you think?

It's 9:09 pm now. Went back out to weed, but after getting attacked by bugs, and being a tad shady, lol, I gave up.

I mix soils using different mediums for different plants. Av's, Succulents, Citrus, etc.. Hopefully I'll get my hands on Virmiculite somewhere..
    Some guy on Craigslist is selling Perlite in huge bags at super bargains. This may sound weird, but I don't know if he's legit..In other words, it's too good to be true, know what I mean??? He said his large bags are equivalent to 15, 8 quart bags sold at the store. First he said, if I picked them up they'd be 8.00 per bag.. if he ships, they'll be a little more. BUT, when I said, it'd be easier if someone picked them up, he said, I'll tell you what, I'll sell each bag and include shipping for 8.00..What do you guys think? Too good to be true or what?

Trying to get me to go to a show..LOL..We'll see, Fred. I just wish they weren't so darn far. Gas is, 4.25 per gallon..the closest show is let's say 25 miles to and 25 back. I dont know how many gallons our car gets per mile, but let's say EXPENSIVE..lol.
    Anyway, I'm really really busy and will be for a few weeks. Still have to dig up two+ sections in the front gardens. Dig as in using a shovel. Transplant a couple bushes..then mow. By the time that's finished, it'll be time to weed out back again..

Fred, do you root leaves in soil or water? If you root in water, do you add fertilizer?
    Oh it's true leaves are less expensive then plants, but sometimes they root and other times not. Ironically, I have better luck rooting variegated leaves..

One more question. lol. All AV's are in 3 south-facing LR windows. They don't get direct sun; bright light is more like it..No curtains or blinds..But some ***** planted a tree so most light is blocked. The LR gets warm, but a ceiling fan runs all day and windows are opened.
    We have a front plant room. 5 windows facing: 1 north, 3 west and 1 south. Problem is that room gets really HOT in summer. (Winter isn't a problem because AV's do best in the LR so that's where they're staying.)
    We're thinking of having new windows installed in the plant room in a few wks, but my question is, which room would be better? The LR that gets less light but cooler (not cold) or the front plant room that is hot but sunnier?
    Oh, btw, I have a little rotating fan for the front plant room. I'm unsure what type of windows we're getting, the current windows are old and won't open which is why it's so hot.. But even with a fan going, temps can exceed 100F. Toni

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Hey Toni,
    I'm hopefully ready for this barrage of questions.
    A north window if the light is strong should be ok to root the sucker especially now that the days are longer. If it were shorter daylight hours I would recommend adding a bit of artificial light to it.
    Sounds like a great buy for perlite providing it is COARSE.
    The fine perlite doesn't work for me. I tried finding the site on Craigs list but got nowhere.
    I can only say that in defense of the cost of getting to a meeting that the info and many times the leaves as well as new friendships as the TV commercial says "priceless". Get to a meeting at least once and I know you will be hooked. IF the club runs like most clubs in my area, we take the summer off and start up again in September. Twenty fice miles is just a short jaunt for some AV junkies, so toss a cd or a tape into your player, sing along with it and poof you're there.
    Rooting in water is the old way of starting plants. It has been said that this method produces water roots and when they are put into soil mix they have to start from scratch again. So......I root all my leaves and suckers in my light mix. Many people use a combo of vermiculite and perlite but I feel that's like rooting in water. If I wick my leaves I feed them with fertilized water.
    100 degree temps are too hot for the plants so by default I would use the cooler room and add a couple flourescent fixtures.
    Hope this covers all the questions. Rigbt now I am preparing myself for the next barrage..............lol.
    Fred in NJ

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Howdy,
    "Right now I am preparing myself for the next barrage......lol" ROFL

Oh Fred you're going to kill me.. You said you looked for the ad on Craigs List, but the problem is you could have searched all day and never have seen it because it wasn't on Craigs List..It was at www.kijiji.com Not sure if that's the correct spelling..LOL..I'm so sorry. Do you know of this site?

Oh sheesh, I had no idea Perlite came in different textures.. The only available Perlite here is sold by Miracle Gro. It'd be a nice gesture if the seller sent a picture via email to compare his to Miracle Gro Perlite.
    The seller is pretty persistant. He emailed again today asking if I was still interested. He also said he sells on Ebay..I'll have to check Ebay to see if he's listed. Is it illegal mentioning the screen name he uses on Kijiji?

Fred, I doubt AV's would flower or keep variegation if grown in a north window, especially in winter. But in 2005, I purchased a 7" Richardsiana Begonia, 'grown as a bonsai,' and has since lived in this north window. Underleaf and stems are red, and flowers all summer..same type of flowers as Wax Begonias. It's now a mature plant and pruned many times. I've also rooted 3 Opuntias, (Prickly Pear Cacti) two different types, in this window..Let's see, there are 2 Avacado pits rooting, and various Pothos 'in water' off the side. A Purple Passion, (Gynura) bought last winter..Since it gets monthly pinching it grows compact, and has kept it's velvety purple color. There's also a variegated Spider Plant, but its lost most variegation..One Pineapple Dracaena, and a cutting (hopefully rooting) of a vining Schefflera. I'm trying to find an ID on that guy..
    In the second north kitchen windows are ferns. 2 Bostons, one called Tiger Fern, the second, Golden Fern. A huge, old Leather Fern, a Curly Fern, and Fuzzy Ruffle Fern. LOL.

I have to repot a few Hibiscus, they're the last plants going outdoors.
    Hopefully, if it's nice tomorrow, (nice being 85F+) I plan on working out front..Once that's done, then the fun project, Fertilizing, Superthriving, and some plants will get a dose of Epsom Salts...Fertilizing take 2-3 days..LOL. I use several types depending on plants. Like soils.
    Well, that's about it..I don't think I asked too many questions,right? LOL..There's another.
    Hope you guys have a great weekend. Take care, Toni

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Toni,
    Variegated AV's grow best when there is a 10 degree difference in temperature at night. If it doesn't get that drop, eventually it will lose its variegation. Thats why so many variegated plants look all green during the hot summer months. So a north window during the winter will produce bloom on plants if it is given a few extra hours of artificial light after sunset. My mother at one point had a violet on a table next to a north window that was well back from the window. She had a table lamp with a 60W bulb on a timer that was on for about 3-4 hours and the violet never stopped blooming.
    As for the perlite, I searched ebay and found a few listings. The one that seemed the most reasonable to me was Krums Perlite. It was a large bag of 120 quarts at a good price, so if you have the room it sounds like a good buy. If you enlarge the photo you can see the word COARSE on top of the bag.
    Fred in NJ

• m3rma1d
    15 years ago

"If you mean plants from Rob's, rather than plants named Rob's,..."

1/2 the plants coming outta Rob's (aka The Violet Barn) ARE named "Rob's", 'cos Ralph Robinson (the owner or co-owner or whatever) is the hybridizer of the Rob's series.
    The other half coming outta there are hybridized by his wife Olive and are named "Ma's".
    You can find Rob's and Ma's plants elsewhere, but they all originate from "Rob" & Olive.

"...and they are standards, they are good in 4 in pots when mature. (Plants named Rob's, for example, Rob's Scrumptious, are semiminis or minis). I actually recommend repotting them into new, lighter soil, in 3 in pots if they are baby standards (which they probably are) or 4 in pots if they are full grown"

Plants named "Rob's" (or any other minis & semis) are NOT baby standards, minis & semis really stay small even when fully mature. Putting them in 4 inch pots is a great way to kill 'em--which can come in handy if yer looking to cut down yer collection, but a better option might be to give away/send/swap them to people who love minis LOL

• m3rma1d
    15 years ago

"That's one reason I asked if anyone heard of plants I bought on Ebay..the seller didn't mention which were standard or mini. "

Red Pepper - Standard
    Ma's Winter Moon - Standard
    Rob's Hall (musta gotten abbreviated somewhere along the line, should be Rob's Hallucination) - Semiminiature
    Ramblin' Amethyst - Standard Trailer
    Orange Pekoe - Large Standard
    Alamo Gold Rush - Standard

The "0Z0 499 Senks" sounds like a Senk's hybrid that perhaps the seller labeled using their own "stock number" or whatever and mayhaps forgot to put the actual name on (or maybe even perhaps lost track of the name entirely)

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Fred,
    Isn't it amazing how our mothers/grandmothers cared for plants in ways most would panic hearing now? The soils they used, pots, etc??? My parents hated plants, but my gramma had an Av, at least 9' from an obstructed curtained window. I can't recall which direction it faced. Her AV was planted in a pretty, ceramic pot, (don't know if it had drainage,) she never fertilized, used heavy soil..Yet, everytime I visited, the AV was blooming..LOL
    I'm assuming your mom likes plants??? Was it she who inspried you?

Fred, I really can't complain about variegated plants..We keep temps set at 68F in winter, but it's cooler by the windows. Each room is different in temp. Before new windows were installed in the back room, a few nights temps dropped as low as 23F, which was a fluke..but accurate..I set two thermometers and both read the same..In fact, I lost a Pachypodium one night because the temperature dropped drastically.
    I'll check Krums Perlite on Ebay..the seller mentioned two burbs, both of which aren't too far. Thanks so much for checking..I feel bad because I haven't notified him, but before handing over cash, I want to be sure he's legit.
    BTW, there's room for big bags of Perlite in the gh, shed or garage..

M3, thanks..I've got it figured out now, meaning Ma and Rob's AV's. Now it's only the remaining 50,000,000,000 AV's left to remember..LOL.
    You're right about Rob's soil being heavy..I didn't notice at first but after checking soil on a daily basis, I see what you mean. Someone mentioned their soil being heavy in an earlier post.
    The problem is, I'm afraid to pot up new plants, especially when they're small, but in this situation, it'll be better in the long run.

M3, thanks for checking AV's..After checking I discoverd the RH is a semi mini..I know now 4" is too large for a semi mini or mini..Would a 2 or 3" be better for the RH's?
    The other night I went through Robs, Violet Gallery, Lyons and Brennans to find sizes for my AV's with names. There's still a few I can't locate. So if you or anyone has info can you please let me know?
    Each name doesn't have to be typed out, I don't want anyone spending time typing on my account. Thanks for your help M3..And of course Fred..
    Here are AV's I couldn't find..

Alamos Gold Rush
    Gillian..I think it's standard.
    Happy Harold.
    Lemon Whip
    Midnight Valentine
    Ness Orange Pekoe..I think this is a standard, too.
    Tomahawk
    Warm Sunshine

Thanks for everyone's help. I can't wait to get my other orders..LOL..I forgot which, but one nursery has a 3 week waiting period. Now that I think about it, I should have ordered one Chimera. Just one. LOL.

One more question..LOL..I asked before but it's possible it was an oversight or the question couldnt be answered.
    Is Sideras (Spiderwort) a form of violet?
    If the file doesn't open, don't bother..It's not the best pic anyway,...Thanks again, Toni

{{gwi:92175}}

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Hi Toni,
    My mom was always interested in outdoor gardening and never had an indoor plant when I was growing up. We had a good sized yard with a few rose bushes and one gigantic climing rose called Blaze. The only other name of a rose I can remember was Talisman, a hybrid tea. Blaze unfortunately was only a June rose and once it bloomed that was it for the remainder of the year. She loved iris and had quite a few different varieties and always had a round bed of tulips in the center of the lawn. The tulips always gave way to Salvia in the summer. As for AV's, I can remember my Aunt Jenny who lived in central NJ had one of those "new" plants that came from Africa. I remember she kept it on a small stand in her dining room. It was in a terra cotta pot and boy did the soil look ever so heavy and wet. All I know is that no one could touch the plant or in fact even breathe on it. I was warned not to go near it under penalty of being sent to the outhouse for the day. In any case I never saw any bloom on it and if it did I am sure that the bloom was sparse. The next time we visited the plant was gone.
    My intro to AV's was simply that I felt sorry for two that I saw in my local Grand Union in the early 80's. I got them on sale and paid 69 cents for each of them which was a big splurge for me on a teachers salary. I had a fellow teacher that was growing some and she coached me on what to do. Lo and behold when spring arrived they were blooming due in no way to my sloppy care. She was a member of a local club and told me to bring them in to their show that week. I did and entered them into a non members class and won two blue ribbons, and I was hooked.
    BTW it was at that show I saw Tiger for the first time.
    The prize for the non member was a membership in the club. Ever since then I have been a member of one club or another.
    Toni, if you think Rob's soil is too heavy I'm glad you weren't around when Tinari's was in business. I don't know how they managed to grow plants in what they used. If I bought a plant from Tinaris I would remove it from the pot and wash the roots because the mix was more like clay. Their plants were great but the mix? UGH !!!

Here are the descriptions of the plants you were looking for:
    Alamo Gold Rush (H. Pittman) Double gold and pink shaded. Variegated dark green, pink and copper, wavy. Standard (TX Hyb)
    Gillian (8619) 06/16/1997 (D. Ferguson) Double white large star. Medium green, plain, quilted. Standard
    Happy Harold (2169) 02/01/1971 (Rienhardt) Single red-wine. Variegated, plain. Standard
    Lemon Whip (7964) 10/08/1993 (S. Sorano) Semidouble white frilled star/yellow mottling. Medium green, wavy, serrated. Standard
    Midnight Valentine (7976) 10/08/1993 (S. Sorano) Double dark red star/white edge. Medium green, plain. Large
    Ness' Orange Pekoe (D. Ness) Semidouble-double coral large pansy. Variegated dark green, pink and cream, scalloped/red back. Large
    Tomahawk (7269) 01/22/1990 (K. Stork) Semidouble-double bright red. Dark green, plain. Large
    Warm Sunshine (9546) 12/17/2005 (Lyndon Lyon Greenhouses/P. Sorano) Semidouble-double pale yellow star. Dark green, plain, spooned. Standard
    I don't have any idea if spiderwort is related to an AV. For all I know it may be a gesneriad.
    That's it for now.
    Fred in NJ

• m3rma1d
    15 years ago

After checking I discoverd the RH is a semi mini..I know now 4" is too large for a semi mini or mini..Would a 2 or 3" be better for the RH's?

I assume you mean Rob's Hallucination, but the thing is--I can't tell you what size pot just based on the name.

I have a ruler, but I can't reach my arm all the way to Illinois to measure your plant, so you'll have to do that yerself & then pot it into something 1/3 smaller.

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Toni,
    RH is a semimini and should not be put in anything larger than a 2 1/2 inch pot. I grow all my semis in 3oz. plastic Solo bathroom cups. The size limit on a semi is 8" tnerefore if it grows to that size, using the rule of thumb of 1/3 the crown size, a 3" pot is too large.
    Fred in NJ

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Howdy..as I mentioned on the other thread, sorry I didn't reply, but Fri is Big Cleaning Day, and Sat shopping.
    The few days/nights it hasn't rained, I've been plucking weeds and planting annuals.

Fred, it's nice going back in time, recalling fond memories. Since your mom had a love for her special Rose and Iris, and your aunt, with a non-touchable AV, (so untouchable you'd be in the OUThouse if touched) you too inherited a love for greenery.
    Other than my grandma with her AV, and an aunt and uncle who owned a gorgeous, huge farm in MI, nobody grew plants in my family..My father mowed the lawn, my mother didnt touch anything outdoors. Though, when we bought the house, the previous owners planted a rose. One Nov, it bloomed. That was the only time my mother showed any signs of amazement. She went as far as phoning her family to tell them..Roses do NOT bloom in IL in Nov.
    It's ironic you encountered a teacher who not only loved AV's, but involved in shows.
    Was there something special about the AV's you entered that they won blue ribbons? Were they rare or was ut something you did? Also, by chance, do you recall what type of soil you used? I'm assuming it was a while back, (since you've mentioned outhouses, lol.)

Nope, never heard of Tinari's..was it an online nursery?

Fred, thanks for typing the AV info..you didnt have to go through all that work though..I've entered all in my plant journal,, thanks so much. You think I like standards? LOL..

I got an order Friday from Brennans..don't worry, I've got the info so no need for descriptions or sizes..LOl
    Ma's Winter Moon
    Kris
    Rodeo Country
    Silverglade Spells
    Also, while shopping at the grocery store, they had a display of AV's, newly stocked for 1.49 each, so 3 Standards jumped in my cart..LOL..1. white flowers, 2. pink edged with white centers, 3. purple center w/white edges.

M3, that'd be one BIG ruler.. Do you think a tape measure would do?

Fred, Rob's Hallucination is now in a 2" pot, all comfy cozy..since repotting it's grown two new leaves. It's in the north window till autumn.

I hope you guys had a great wkend w/o storms..it sure has been pouring here..Toni

BTW, Brennans AV's are really rootbound. They're in 3" pots now. I cannot find 3 1/2" pots anywhere..should I up to 4"??? They're so potbound they won't stand erect. Roots are seeping out of drainage holes. Some roots are thick..That's something I've never seen happen with an Av before.

• bspofford
    15 years ago

Toni, I just sent you an e-mail that includes the catalog from Cape Cod Violetry. They have 3 1/2" pots.

Regarding the pot size, Toni, repeat after me, "measure the diameter of the plant from leaf tip to leaf tip. Divide that diameter by 3. The resulting number is the size of the pot the plant should be potted in." This seems to be a difficult concept for you to grasp, so let me explain how this standard is used by experienced growers. When repotting a violet, you will want to do any necessary grooming at that time. This includes removing any deformed leaves, any dead ones, any immature ones growing form underneath, and any suckers. Looking down on the plant from above, look to see if it is symmetrical. If one leaf sticks way out compared to the others, take it off. What started out as 12 inch violet may end up to be a 9 inch violet, or even smaller after all the trimming is done! Especially if there are a lot of separate crowns or suckers. Now, the pot size needs to be appropriate to the plant you have in your hand, not what you started with. Now is the time you measure the diameter of the leaves, divide by 3, etc.
    Good luck.

Barbara

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Hi Toni,
    The violets I entered into that first show were in bloom at the time of the show and my teacher friend had been coaching me on growing for a few months so when the show rolled around they were ready to be entered. Tinari's was a violet greenhouse outside of Philadlephia. It was owned and run by Frank and Ann Tinari. Frank did the hybridizing and Ann (who recently passed away) ran the shop and was one of the founders of AVSA. Both the Tinari's were heavily involved with AV's and were big supporters of the national orgainzation. Ann was very friendly and was always wonderful to chat with at her shop in the Willow Grove area. She was the person who spearheaded the push for an AV stamp which was released in the early 90's by the US Postal Service. Sadly now the store was taken over by their sons who turned it into a landscape business. I guess AV's didn't pay enough to keep the place running.
    As for the soil I used on those two plants i really don't remember. It probably was much heavier than the one I use now simply because all my plants are on wicks which requires a light porous mix.
    The info I sent to you I just copied and pasted from First Class 2 which is a disk of the Master Variety List which is available from AVSA.
    Fred in NJ

• quinnfyre
    15 years ago

Wow, this thread is still going...

To clarify, I didn't mean to imply that plants named Rob's were baby standards. I just meant that standards FROM Rob's were usually baby standards. Plants NAMED Rob's are still semiminis or minis. My baby standards are still in 3 inch pots, and need to do some growing before moving on up to the 4 inch pots. I've also had to pot one or two down, because they'd gotten smaller due to their not enjoying my winter. That's my favorite lesson right now, actually: don't be afraid to pot down. If things go awry and your plant loses leaves and becomes too small for the pot size it is in, go ahead and pot down. My troubled ones are much happier now.

My other favorite lesson is: bag your leaf starts. I'm actually getting some results faster now. In fact, I started Princess Jade in late April, and have had a bunch of babies sprout already. Before, I could never start a sucker, and had low success rate with leaves, partially because I keep managing to work a six-day work week, and couldn't keep them properly moist. Did I mention I'm a chronic underwaterer? : )

As for your question, I do think you have more than me now, Toni. I've evened out at about 50. That isn't counting my starts, but I'm kind of really just propagating to have backups and trading/gift material, and also for education, so I hope to not have all my starts live here permanently... I feel justified in not counting them : )

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Howdy,
    Quinn, I was going to mention the length of this thread too..is it customary here on AV Forum?
    I think there'd be more meaning if it started as a seedling question. As in growing - big?? I know, dumb.

Barb, I still owe you an email..sorry, never finished..I'm way behind in the email department (for one thing my hubby's puter needed a part so he was using mine)
    I received your two emails, which I'll try getting to today. Thanks for sending. I'll check them out.
    Barb, I understand the concept of sizing AV's, but I asked about repotting in a 4" pot because I don't have the size needed..I admit, 12"+ diameter AV's is baffling since I'd never seen one that size..Ever. (not in person) To be honest, until coming here, I'd never ever heard of such a size for this plant.
    I'm a firm believer in grooming ALL plants..With AV's, any dead, yellow or broken leaf/ves is/are removed..Faded flowers deadheaded. Pots are cleaned off. Soil checked.
    Sunday, when we had a wanna-be tornado, my new AV's went flying..What a disaster!!

Howdy Fred..But you still haven't answered my question..or are you avoiding it? LOL..j/k..Your AV's were in bloom..But wouldn't other entries have flowers too? Was it the type of flowers that won the ribbons?
    It sounds like the Tineras did a lot to get the ball rolling.. I wonder if I kept the AV stamp the misses had issued..how in the world did she accomplish such a feat? That's impressive. I wonder if she's listed on Wikipedia? That's some accomplishment. Not to mention everything else they'd done..and to find a husband interested in something you love, well, is rare..LOL. How's Mr. Tinara doing? Have you or anyone else spoken to him?
    Landscaping huh? Well, at least it involves plants, guess people have to do what brings in the bread and butter.
    A couple here have/had at least 2 gh's we're aware of. Their children have NO interest in plants..one son is a fireman..the owner one day jokingly asked me if I wanted one of his gh'es..I THINK he was joking..LOL..One gh burned down a few yrs back..I'm not sure the Mr is alive, last time we saw him he had to be in his late 80's, early 90's, but was at the gh daily. The second gh is a far drive.
    Oh got my Violet Gallery order yesterday..LOL
    Here's the list.
    Apache Showoff
    Irish Laughter
    Jeanette's Apple Blossom
    Night Fever
    Witch Doctor
    Wrangler's Cowboy Blue
    Lemon Whip (free gift)

Quinn...I'm not afraid to underpot..I've done this with plants shipped with very few roots..(not AV's)
    I know what you mean about Rob's plants..LOL

Is Princess Jade a mini? Sounds pretty. When you say bag your leaves do you mean cuttings? If so, I do..Especially in winter. Our house is very humid this time of year, since no a/c or c/a is used..believe me, my hygrometer's needle cannot get any higher..LOL.
    Well, better you're a bit of an underwaterer, than an over-waterer..Most ppl kill plants by over-watering..any plant..I've talked to ppl use water 2-3 times a day!! I'm not talking AV's, but other plants like Citrus, etc. A few even have done this with succulents, which is a BIG NO NO. Then they wondered why their plant died..lol.
    I beat you? You're kidding..lol..Well, this wasn't intended to be a contest, but I believe you..Still, after my next order, lol, that's going to be it for a while..at least until I figure where they're going in winter. Okay, just counted..so far, 47..LOL..I have one more order coming in, okay, I admit it, I went ahead and ordered from Lyons..LOL..so sue me..I asked my hubby, he said oh go ahead..as for the books, we'll get them at the library, and hide in the bedroom, (Barb's advice) so the birds can't chew pages..LOL.
    Today, AV's are getting a nice drink of room temp water that's been sitting out over 24 hours..maybe some Superthrive, too..
    Well, again thanks for listening and your help..Toni

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Hi Toni,
    A general rule of thumb in AVSA shows is that all violets must be in bloom. However, bloom on a violet is a subjective call. A mini with 8 blossoms may get a blue ribbon where a standard with the same bloom count may only rate a red or white ribbon. As for my entries, they were entered into a non-member class. Judges when rating or judging such classes tend to be a bit more lienient on the plants if only to encourage the exhibitor to continue growing. In other words they try to get you hooked..........lol. Well anyway thats how they got me. When judges evaluate plants they assess the entire plant and use a point system to score the plant. A plant that scores 90 and above gets a blue ribbon, 80-89 a red, and 7u0-79 a white, below 70 the plant gets no award and probably should not have been entered into the show. Yhe plants are judged on Symmetry, condition and bloom.
    As for the Tinaris, Frank passed away about 10 years before his wife Anne. Frank was the hybridizer from what I understand and Anne took care of the retail business as well as their involvement in AVSA. Anne had been in contact with the postal service for years trying to get a commemorative stamp with an AV on it. Finally her efforts paid off and was announced at the 1992 Convention in Lancaster. I gave you a link to the Tinari site. I don't know how up to date it is or even if they are still selling plants. After a quick look it seemed to me to be more into orchids than violets. As I said I'm not sure if they are still operating.
    Do you need descriptions of your new plants? If you do let me know and I will copy and paste again.
    Fred in NJ

Here is a link that might be useful: Tinari web site

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Howdy,
    We've been real busy the last few weeks. When it hasn't rained, the front, sides and back were weeded, (what a joke! since we don't use weed killers) and new perrenials/annuals added. I've discovered some annuals are sold as house plants, which mean, come autumn, they're going into pots and brought indoors..I plan on taking cuttings too.

Fred, remember the sucker you and the others told me to remove, and pot separately? I followed instructions and now It's Blooming!!! The flower is white edged w/light purple center. I'm sooo excited. This tiny little sucker has one flower..The sucker is from a 'Ma' African Violet. Ma's Winter Moon as a matter of fact.
    As for the mini, (remember I discussed it earlier?) how often do they bloom? It's been years since. I can understand the reason it hadn't when it was potted in too large a container, but now that it's in a smaller pot, nothing is happening (as far as buds) Remember I set it in a north window? Could that be the reason it's not flowering? Perhaps north isn't bright enough???

Fred I checked Tinari's site..I think they're strickly into landscaping. The links don't open.
    I'm using Vista instead of XL..there are several sites that won't open which means this puter needs updating or whatever. Something's missing. So, it's possible the links work, just not with my puter.

Thanks Fred, but I jotted down descriptions for all new AV's. If only I could remember each plant, eg. which are standards, which large specimens.
    I have another question. Years ago I read AV's shouldn't have more than 4 or 5 crowns. So, as leaves grew, I removed lower leaves..Now I'm baffled. When you and everyone talk about large AV's, how is this done? Should I not remove leaves? I'd like my AV's to grow large, so if bottom leaves are removed, I'm assuming, this will never happen. What should I do? As long as bottom foliage is healthy, should I let them be? What do you think?

I hope everyone is well, and enjoying summer. Are you guys getting a lot of rain? It seems to be a daily thing here. We haven't had full sun for some time. The sky is bright one minute, then cloudy the next two hours. Since I don't use plant lights in summer, my violets only get light provided by the sun which is, IMO medium light. I worry the variegated will lose color.
    Oh well, what can ya do? Take care, Toni

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Hi Toni,
    Boy this thread seems to go on forever. I have listed the plants you recently received with their description. As far as I can see there is only on designated as large in the group. I could not fine Jeannette's Apple Blossom in FC2, so it's either very new or never registered.
    Give the mini some time to grow and adjust to its new container. Some plants need time to grow before they bloom.
    The north light isn't always the best for growing n
    av's you amy have to add some artificial light to help it out. As for the the plant you want to grow large, you should only remove leaves at the base of the plant if they are yellowed or dying. You should also remove any leaves that are smaller than the ones above it (secondary leaves) Keep repotting the plant until it reaches the size you would like it to be. BTW i think you are confusing crown with row. All violets except for trailers and some species should have ony one crown.
    Congrats on getting the sucker to bloom. Keep up the good work.
    Fred in NJ

Apache Showoff (J. Munk) Semidouble hot pink large pansy/red eye, rays. Variegated dark green and pink. Standard (DAVS 1472, TX Hyb)
    Irish Laughter (9527) 12/17/2005 (Lyndon Lyon Greenhouses/D. Herringshaw) Semidouble-double white star/frilled green edge. Medium green, wavy, serrated. Standard
    Night Fever (8538) 11/09/1996 (S. Sorano) Semidouble burgundy pansy/variable darker streaks. Dark green, plain, quilted/red back. Standard
    Witch Doctor (J. Gehr) Double burgundy/near-black tips. Mosaic variegated dark green and silver. Standard
    Wrangler's Cowboy Blues (6220) 05/20/1986 (W. Smith) Double blue. Variegated medium green and cream, plain. Large
    Lemon Whip (7964) 10/08/1993 (S. Sorano) Semidouble white frilled star/yellow mottling. Medium green, wavy, serrated. Standard

• dragonfly2008
    15 years ago

If you really want your standard violet plants to grow large - remove all bloom stalks as soon as you see them appear on the plant - this way all the plants energy goes to making foliage. I know this is a hard thing to do because we grow violets for the blooms! But that is how people get the larger plants - and when you do let it bloom, you will see a huge quantity of blossoms. As an experiment, you might try dis-budding just one of your plants for a few bloom cycles to see what happens.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good Afternoon..
    Fred, there's info regarding Jeanette on Violet Gallery..at least I think there is..While talking to the owner, she recommeded a few AV's, Jeanette might have been one.
    Okay, I just checked GV..Jeanette's is located under Standards, BUT, there's an (*) before the name. I don't know what the asterisk stands for..
    Ironically, some AV books state it's best setting AV's in north windows during summer months. I always felt north low light even during summer (especially in IL) Anyway, I relocated the mini to a brighter window; we'll see how it does. Patience is the key to growing plants, so rushing isn't going to make it bloom any faster.
    Ok Fred, I'm a Bozo..I dont know the difference between a crown and row..LOL..I'll have to look it up. The leaves I meant are those on the bottom, the oldest leaves..One or more (older) books said to remove them. I've been removing for years..No wonder none of my AV's grew sizes you and the others mentioned..(S)
    Fred, I believe it was you who recommended Wrangler. Remember I was hunting for a Large AV??
    How in the world do you copy and paste all that information? LOL. Thanks though..

Dragonfly, remove all the flowers?!?!? Really??? Just thinking about it gives me goose bumps..How long is this supposed to be done? Do I remove buds or flowers..and how long a period should they be removed? In other words, do I remove once after one blooming spurt or more often? Is this done with babies or any age AV's?
    Also, what about fertilizer? Would a fert with more nitrogen (N) work better than one with higher P?
    You've given me an idea. I received Lemon Whip as a free gift which means I have two. I can experiment with one Lemon..thanks so much for the concept.

I have one more question..LOL..I measured a few newer AV's. Some need repotting..My question is, though I know how to measure a pot, some pots are constructed odd. The upper parts of containers, (the lips/rims) are larger in diameter than the bottom, the bottom is what holds the plant. The lip/rim is about 1/4" deep, the remainder of the pot is almost 3" long. So, do I measure the lip/rim/diameter or the bottom?
    Of course, after measuring leaf diameters, some equal odd numbers like 5 1/4" across..LOL. Unfortunately, I haven't any pots 1/3rd the size of 5 1/4". That's not the problem though..my question is regarding size of the pots lip vs bottom..remember, bottom is where roots live, so wouldn't the bottom of pot be measured for size and not the lip/rim? Thanks again, Toni
    I hope this makes sense..LOL

• bspofford
    15 years ago

Toni,

AV's are really shallow rooted, so measure the pot across the top. And, if you can find 'squatty' pots, they seem to workd a little better because of this.

Cape Cod has a good pot selection.

Barbara

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Hi Toni,
    If you look at the top of the page in the violet gallery catalogue it says that the varieties that are new to her catalogue have a * before the name.
    During the summer months violets do well in north windows simply becuase there is more light. Right now we are receiving about 16 hours of daylight each day as opposed to 10 or 11 during the winter months.
    The crown of the plant is the entire plant as opposed to a row of leaves. Leaves generally have a triangular pattern of growth meaning that each row has 3 leaves. If you look carefully at a plant from the top you can see the leaf pattern. I only remove lower leaves when they start to yellow and die on me. What dragonfly is talking about is the practice of disbudding. This allows all the strength of the plant to go into leaf production. It also allows an exhibitor to time the bloom for a show. I generally disbud all my show plants at least 12 weeks before show. By doing this I will get a burst of bloom hopefully at the time it is needed.
    As Barbara said Cape Cod Violetry has a good variety of pots and at reasonable prices. You can call John Cook and order them and he will ship them out quickly. John also sells coarse vermiculite and coarse perlite to ammend your soil as well as fertilizers without UREA. I and members of my local club send for things frequently from him. I use primarily squat pots that I have purchased from him, however, for my minis and semis I use 3oz. plastic Solo cups. The top of the pot is the way we measure for size.
    Fred in NJ

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Guys,
    Happy Belated 4th of July. I hope everyone had a wonderful, safe day/wkend.

Barb, I found Cape Cod, but there's no way to order via their site. I guess you have to call? Or am I missing something?
    In the meantime, while browsing for Cape Cod, I found a few other nurseries that sounds good.
    I already have a question regarding pots, so Barb and Fred, do you have your thinking caps on? LOL
    One African Violet site sold pots as large as 6". I understand we pot according to leaf diameter, divide into thirds, and whatever 1/3rd equals determines pot size. What size AV would do well in a 6" pot? In all the years growing plants, I've never once seen an AV growing in a container larger than 4". Nor have I heard anyone mention potting an AV in such a large size.

Fred, I figured out the * perhaps while you were writing this post. (S)
    Some north windows are bright in summer, but the two in my kitchen are semi-obstructed by neighboring homes..there used to be 3 fir trees between, but they were old and diseased so our neighbor had them cut down. But even treeless, there's not much light to speak of. Then again, a Richardsiana Begonia lives in the kitchen window..(3 yrs now) It's blooming like crazy. Oh, there's also two Optunias (Prickly Pears) cuttings that took root, one has sprouted. So, you guys let me know what you think???

I'm going to disbud a Lemon Whip when and if it/they bloom. (Remember I have two) Do I disbud when they're buds or flowers?
    I think Lemon Whip is Stadard, right? I really would like to disbud a large specimen to see how it works.
    Since the newer AV's are babies, would I disbud now or wait until they're older? Most of my new AV's are in bud/flower..still in small pots.

Oops, Fred, guess I meant row, not crown. I don't understand what you mean when you say each row has three leaves??? When I count 'rows' there are more than 3 leaves.

Fred, what happens if you disbud AV 12 wks prior a show and they don't bloom? Do you enter them? Do they ever judge for foliage? Or are both leaves and flowers important?

Like I mentioned to Barb, there's nothing on CCV site that specifies what's available. Do you make up a list of, say pots, then work from there when ordering? Do they ship catalogs?
    Also, what material are Solo cups? Another site sells them but didnt' explain their material. Are they paper, like those people buy as disposable drinking cups? Or plastic?

A few more questions, if you guys don't mind me asking..LOL. When an Av flower starts fading or fades, how far along should it be before deadheading? Also, how much of the stem should be removed? The tip, further down? Will a new bud form on an old stem?

I know I said no more new plants, but I broke down and purchased four AV's from Lyndon Lyons.
    Berry Splash, Evening Splender, Simpler Times and Blue is Blue. They arrived in nice condition, but some leaves broke during shipping. Since they're young plants, 1-2 broken leaves per plant made a difference. But they had some varities nobody else had, like Blue is Blue.
    One more question..LOL..Why do some AV's have long stems while others are shower? All my older AV's have short stems..could this be due to lack of sun? Natural for the species, or another reason,...
    Thanks for your help again..

Sorry it took so long to reply to this thread, but problems at home. Toni

• lucillle
    15 years ago

What a wonderful thread this is, I've learned a lot and thank you to all who wrote info here. And I just ordered a copy of 'Growing to Show' because it was recommended here. It just makes sense to me that information is just as if not more valuable than my purchases of lights, pots, etc. for my AVs.

• bspofford
    15 years ago

Toni,

You can send an e-mail to Cape Cod Violetry and have John send you his catalog by return e-mail, etherwise it's 2 bucks. violets@cape.com is the address.

Disbudding is the way to increase the number of blooms on a plant. You remove each stem of buds as they appear without letting them mature. I use a pair of dental 'tweezers' and break off the stem as close to the base as possible. The younger the buds, the better. Be sure to look down under the newer leaves near but not in the center, and remove them as soon as you find them. New leaves form in the center, buds form in the next several rows of leaves. What disbudding does is direct the plants energy to roots and foliage, and really seems to 'frustrate' the blooming cycle. It is as though the plant gets frustrated about not being able to bloom, and it decides to send up so many buds you could never get them all. Sort of a "take that" response! Once you have seen the amazing results you'll be tempted to always disbud your plants.

Lucille, great that you got the book Growing to Show. I think you'll agree that it isn't just about raising for show, but raising for the best plant it can be. Tell us what you think of the book after you have read it.

Make it a good week, everyone!

Barbara

• bspofford
    15 years ago

I forgot to tell you how long to continue the disbudding process. Well, it depends.....I usually do it for 4-5 weeks, and then it takes a couple of weeks for new buds to form, and then bloom.

Good luck.

Barbara

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Hi Toni,
    Back again I see for more answers on the longest thread I have ever seen. A plant that is 18" across and above can use a 6" pot. As for your light situation, with all the plants you have been ordering and growing, you should think about setting up a stand with flourescent lights. When you disbud you can either snip off the bloomstalk close to the leaf axil where it starts or give it a little tug to see if it comes out. Personally I always try to pull it out so that there are no stubs left in the plant which would lose points when the plant is judged. But since you aren't at a stage where you are going to exhibit plants for judging, snip it off as close to the center stem as possible. I always remove the bloomstalk before the blossom opens. When I deadhead the plant I either cut off the wilted or dead bloom or pull off the entire stalk. If the plants that I have disbudded for show don't have sufficient bloom I don't enter it. All AV's for show must be in bloom. It's a judgement call on the part of the exhibitor as to whether the plant should be entered. It is also the job of the classification and entries chairman to let the person know that the plant has insufficient bloom and then let her make the decision. If you only need to remove one blossom, cut it off as close to the stem as possible. Once the blossom is gone, it's gone and will no longer produce blooms. It looks like you bought some nice plants from Lyons. I am growing Evening Splendor which has huge blossoms that are almost 3" across. The only problem with it is that the stem is weak and they flop down because of the weight. I think you will find eventually that every hybrid has it's own growing style. Some are more spacier than others. And finally, You asked in your last paragraph something to the effect that is it Natural for the species. Just so you don't confuse more people, species plants are the natural plants that came from Africa. They are still available from many sources and many of us still grow them. I think what you should have asked is " is it natural for the HYBRID. Finally, AV's natural growth pattern is one that grows rows for the most part in groups of three. They look like more becuase leaves overlap and grow slower or faster depending on the plant.
    Fred in NJ

• m3rma1d
    15 years ago

Hey Toni, check out this pic out if you wanna see how big a large African Violet can get:

{{gwi:364592}}

That plant is 36" accross.

Amazing, pretty to look at... but no thanks, not for me--I'll stick to my minis & micros. :-D

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lucille, like you, I have learned a lot from this thread. I'd like to hear your opinion on 'Growing to Show,' too. Are you new growing AV's?

Hey Barb..How are you? Have you gone on any trips recently? Shows?
    Thanks for detailing how to disbud. Many AV's are blooming now. If my AV's were yours, and you wanted larger foliage and flowers, would you remove flowers now or wait until these flowers fade?
    Also, does it matter if disbudding is done w/older AV's?
    I hope all is well with you, Barb.

Hey Fred..Yes, this is one long thread, and I'm honestly happy I asked about suckers, becuase not only have I learned a lot, but others have too.
    Maybe you missed the post, but I mentioned having a shelf w/lighting. But don't worry, I'll make room for every AV. If there's one thing this house has, it's windows..I also use artificial lighting from late autumn til mid-spring. There's enough light to keep AV's, Hibiscus and Citrus blooming/fruiting all winter long.
    You said, "I always remove the bloomstalk before the blossom opens?" What is your reason for doing this? To grow larger flowers, leaves, both or something else altogether?
    Do people disbud, (not deadhead) mini AV's? People unconcerned about size? In other words, if someone grows AV's strickly for flowrers, to they remove buds? Isn't the concept of disbudding mainly to grow larger specimens?
    Oops, sorry about the species question. Surely don't want to confuse anyone. I assumed Saintpaulia was the genus and theri second name the species..It doesn't work that way with AV's? If not, why? I thought all plants used two names. Oh well, shows what I know.
    Still sooo much to learn.
    Fred, until I know exactly where plants, all plants, will reside once indoors, I'll have to hold back buying, even small plants like AV's. Of course it won't hurt to browse..LOL..While checking out Cape Cop, I ran across a site that contained links that sold AV's and supplies..gotta learn to say NO. LOL. Some nurseries had interesting plants and supplies.
    Once again, thanks for the help. You guys have been incredibly patient.

We've got severe T-storms heading our way tonight..Hope it storms..(S)

I hope everyone had a great holiday. Take care, Toni

• lucillle
    15 years ago

Toni,

Hope you survived the t-storms. It is hurricane season on the TexasGulf Coast and I do not look forward to them.

I am not new to AVs, I had some many years ago. But they were nothing like the ones whose pix I see today. I bought a bunch of AVs and leaves on Ebay, the leaves should get here in the next few days.

Will let you know about 'Growing to Show', it too should get here in a few days. I got the old edition on Ebay, not knowing there was a new one as of this year but I am sure it will still have lots of interesting info.

I am keeping all of my AVs either in the kitchen window or under some fixtures which will arrive soon, I look forward to having everything set up. I should have got everything set up first, but when I saw the leaf auction I decided I really wanted to have those particular AVs.

• dragonfly2008
    15 years ago

That enormous violet picture posted by m3rma1d must be "Tiger"

• m3rma1d
    15 years ago

"That enormous violet picture posted by m3rma1d must be "Tiger""

Yup, Tiger it is :-)

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Hi Toni,
    Way back in posting #3 I mentioned that Tiger was a large violet and m3rmald's photo shows how large they can grow. The reason for removing the bloomstalk is to give the plant the strength to grow larger and eventually when I stop disbudding it will give me a burst of bloom in time for the show.
    As for minis and semis there are two trains of thought, one is to disbud and the other is to let it grow the way it wants. I subscribe for the most part to the latter group. A few years back I entered a mini called Planet Kid in a show and after the show when I removed all the bloom (I do this with all my plants to avoid bringing something home on them) and when I counted the blossoms I had 77 on a 5 inch mini which I had never disbudded. There were so many blossoms that it covered most of the foliage.
    As for species, Saintpaulia is the genus, however, species refers to the original plants which were discovered in East Africa by Baron Walter von Saint Paul. Hence the name Saintpaulia. It is unclear whether he sent plants or seeds back to his father who was a keen horticulturist in Germany. The plants eventually made it to a German Botanical Society who named the plants Saintpaulia in honor of the family. The plant Saintpaulia ionantha (violet like bloom) is listed as a species in the Master Variety List (MVL) as S.ionantha along with a number of other species. Currently the species have undergone DNA testing and are being resorted into species and sub species. Eventually they will be reclassified as 5 species with numerous sub species. What you see in the MVL listings are Saintpaulia hybrids. The saintpaulia name is understood and not listed and the hybrid is limited to 3 word in the name.
    As for saying NO, I am not the person to talk about that. I started with 2 noids and went up to 250 named plants and currently have cut down to 100 or so. Like many people here in this section on AV's I am a junkie. I think we should establish a group called AVA, African Violets Anonymous. From what I have read about your gardening and plants you should be a member or even an officer......lol.
    But then again who am I to talk.
    Lucille, Growing to Show is an excellent investment. I have the original and the second revamp and will buy the third from AVSA as soon as I can. That book along with Helen Van Pelt Wilson's "African Violet Book" should be in every serious violet growers library.
    Happy growing to all.
    Fred in NJ

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Everyone..
    Hope all is well, having a great summer..especially now that it's mid-July soon Halloween decorations will be on display..sigh.
    Today is my b-day..My dh works for the EPA, and had to go on an inspection for dust at a steel mill. The complaintant ownes an antique store.
    He purchased two really nice 'ceramic' pots..for (his idea)AV's..LOL. I told him they're beautiful, BUT way too large for AV's, not to mention no drainage holes.
    I'll pot up plants in both containers, just not AV's. Remember, it's the thought that counts, right?

Lucille, I pray you guys are safe now that it 'cane season..Are winds strong yet or is it too early? What time of year do cane's start? When do they end?
    Our T-storms are nothing compared to canes. It gets windy, things go flying, but other than a few cities in IL that are known for tornado's, it's child's play.
    Did you get your AV leaves yet? I know there are several AV sellers on Ebay, but does the seller's first screen name start with Ice----? If so, she's the one I got my AV's/leaves from last winter. I hope yours arrive safe.
    Regarding, 'Growing to Show,' you say yours is an old edition. Are you talking about the copyright or is it the same book w/more information?
    I can't find it. I checked the library and Brookfield not only doesn't have it, but there's no library in the system that does..Then I checked Ebay and Amazon without luck.
    A seller on Ebay had a copy, but the book is from the 80's..Is the 80's book the same everyone is talking about?
    Yep, it's best to prepare soils, pots, whatever you're going to use before getting a bunch of plants/leaves in.
    Do you root leaves in water or soil? Good luck, hope they all root...and keep safe..

Hey Fred...I remember Tiger mentioned in a previous post, but had NO idea it'd grow THAT large..Nowhere near as huge as the picture M3 displayed..One large AV that size would do it for me..If/when I order again, Tiger will be on the list.
    Although, I don't know if there's a trick growing an AV that size..You mention disbudding, which is a start. I'm going to choose one large AV, and do just that. Also, no more plucking bottom rows of leaves, unless by chance they yellow. Which I can honestly say, for the most part, doesn't happen, or not often anyway.
    Oh Fred, I wish you had a picture of your mini AV w/77 flowers. Okay, did you count each flower? One, two, three, four,(wife calling Fred in the background) "okay dear,", One, two, three. (Fred's phone rings.) One, two, three..lol
    I'm confused with minis and semis. Which is the smaller?
    According to Wikipedia, Baron Saint Paul sent 'seeds' to his amateur botonist father who resided in Germany in 1892.
    Oh Fred, I'm not sure I follow your explaination on species and sub species..I read, reread, and re-reread your explaination three times, and will again until it sinks in that little golf-ball size gray matter under my scalp..You are light years ahead of me..LOL
    Toni, the General of plants..hey, I like the title. Maybe I'll have business cards printed up..(S)
    Fred, wait, you have 2 copies of Growing To Show??? Is there a difference between part 1 and 2? What about 3? My question regarding this book is, is it the same book, just different copywrites? If that's the case, I'll buy from the seller on Ebay..his copy was published in the 80's. If they're three totally different books, that's different.
    The other book I'm looking for is, You Can Grow African Violet's, which was recommended on this thread. I'm going to try the library for both, and if I like them end up purchasing. You'd think Amazon have it/them in stock. I'll have to go back and recheck. The night I looked, I had other things on my mind so it's possible I missed seeing it.
    But Tiger is on my list. The only problem is ordering one plant...that's simply impossible..plus shipping at most nurseries have a flat rate, so it'd be silly buying one and paying 12.99, or whatever they charge.
    Ironically, I saw Tiger several times but didn't think about adding. My son's g/f's name is Tiger so that's one name I can't forget..LOL..

Hope everyone has a great wkend..hugs, Toni

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday, dear Tony, Happy Birthday to you!

Tiger has a beautiful variegation, long petioles and not that special flowers. I had it for some time, didn't like it that much, gave it away.

You are right - doesn't make sense to pay for the leaves of Tiger only. Try violetgallery.com, they carry Tiger, you can search their catalog for "large" and order several. Everybody I know who dealt with them - is very happy.

(Tell your hubby that it is your B-day present and give yourself a good selection of leaves or starters.)

Have lots of fun on your B-day!

Irina

• m3rma1d
    15 years ago

Toni--Semi is bigger than miniature. I think someone answered that already in this thread (gave the sizes of Large, Standard, Semi, & Mini...) But we go again:

Large: 16" and up
    Standard: 8-16"
    Semiminiature: 6-8"
    Miniature: 3-6"
    Microminiature: under 3" (NOTE: Microminiature is NOT a recognized size classification by the AVSA... So technically they are just "miniatures", but us fans of the itty-bitties just like to think otherwise--And we will, and we will be wrong--At least until/if the AVSA ever budges on that rule.)

The book Growing To Show has been revised a couple times, that's all.
    The most current one released in May would be the most up-to date. Same book since the start, but "revised" means more/new info etc. I know it's been said before in this thread as well, but again-you can order the most current edition from AVSA.

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Hi Toni,
    Growing to show came out in the 85 and had an orange cover. It was revised in '87. '90 and 96 with a few changes including the cover which is lavender. The latest edition was from what I have heard was brought up to date with quite a few changes. This 2008 edition can be bought from AVSA and is on their site as well as the Stork book, You too can grow African Violets. At the same time I would suggest that you join AVSA. Not only will you get the Magazine 6 times a year but also discounts on publications.
    And yes, I counted every blossom as I took them off at the end of the show. Don't worry about the species, I'm still a bit confused about the new species and sub species. If you are never planning to exhibit any of them you don't even have to know their namess although it would be good to keep a name on each plant so you can exchange leaves.
    Check the link to the AVSA store for the books. Get the latest version of Growing to show.
    Fred in NJ

Here is a link that might be useful: AVSA

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Irina.."Thank you, thank you, thank you," Toni blew out 'x' candles (hehe) and one for good luck..
    Why do you not like Tiger?? Was it its looks or a problem?
    I'll check for Tiger on V. Gal..if there's a flat rate, perhaps they'll have the AV's that were out of stock during the first order. Wonder how often they get new shipments..or maybe they grow their own plants?
    Thanks, Irina, I did just what you said..told hubby it's my b-day present..LOL..he said, Oh go ahead.
    Money is tight right now, but since I haven't bought anything since the AV's, it's time to splurge..with plants and books. LOL.
    Actually, our son is in trouble so we need an attorney. Second in 5 months..sigh.

Thanks M3. Though all size AV's are gorgeous, my interest lies on the Tiger you posted. If only..(S)
    Sizes were probably mentioned on this thread, but it's a longgg way up..LOL..thanks though. Now to remember.
    I've never seen or heard of microminiature, but they sound lovely. An Av, even though it's not recognized by AVSA, under 3"..Ooh, do you realize how many would fit on a shelf or sill??? If anyone has one will you please post?

Ah Fred..Okay, you convinced me. I will join the AVSA, AND buy both books..Now, the question is, once I join, can I order both books using membership fees? LOL..That sounds so, Mr. Scrooge, but money IS an issue.
    They have a phone number so I'll phone tomorrow..if no one is around, I'll call Monday during business hours.
    Also, I imagine the fees are for a good cause.
    No, I don't intend showing plants, but IMO, it's important ID'ing names of all plants. It may be generic or silly, but each AV has a label inside the pot. Those bought locally do not have tags, but who knows, one day while browsing pics one will pop up with a name. Not John or Mary Smith but an actual name.
    Okay be honest Fred, how many tries before counting 77 flowers? LOL..Would you happen to have a picture? I don't intend on counting the flowers, but would love seeing an AV, packed with buds and blooms, where foliage is hidden.
    Again I want to thank everyone. It's a pleasure talking to people who enjoy greens. Toni

• m3rma1d
    15 years ago

"An Av, even though it's not recognized by AVSA, under 3""

The plants themselves ARE recognised by AVSA, but they are lumped in with the just plain "miniatures" size--not "micro" as some of us would like them to be classified.

And since you want a pic of what we mini-freaks call a "micro", here is a pic of my Rob's Twinkle Blue that I picked up at the National Convention in Tulsa this May...

My friend Jana snapped this pic 'cos she couldn't believe how teeny it was. We also stuck a penny in there for "scale":

{{gwi:364771}}

I potted it down to a teeny 1/2 oz. solo cup once I got it home... Is much more snug and happy in there now than it was in that huge 3oz solo cup it was sold "swimming" in. :-)

• lucillle
    15 years ago

That is just adorable, it is so tiny.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's an amazing little plant. So cute. How many, in all do you have? If you don't mind me asking...
    Would a petitition, if 'x' amount of signitures were submitted to the ASVA, convince them renaming a 3" or smaller Av, a micro?
    M3, your camera really picks up detail. It displays each 'hair' per leaf. I don't know if it's the camera or your computer. I like that.
    What's the brown pieces/medium in your soil? Is it bark?
    I'm baffled by the number of people who travel around the US hunting down AV's. Did you go to OK to AV shop or other reasons and happen to come upon a show? Toni

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Hi Toni,
    Glad to hear that you are going to join AVSA. The cost of the membership is worth the money just for the magazine alone. I am sure if you join and order the books at the same time you will receive the members price.
    The National Convention in Tulsa was a great success and people travel from all over the globe to attend. I have been to three so far which were held in the east. My first was in Boston during the 80's the second in Lancaster, Pa where I worked the show and did the staging and the third was in DC just a few years ago. Next year the convention and show is going to be in Reno. I would love to go but as they say in Italy, funsalo.....lol. Besides the airfare will be extremely epxensive I fear.
    Fred in NJ

• lucillle
    15 years ago

Toni, could you please start a Questions II thread, this one is long and it is taking a long time to open on my computer.

• m3rma1d
    15 years ago

"It's an amazing little plant. So cute. How many, in all do you have? If you don't mind me asking..."

About 100-150 or so I think... All minis & semis. Tho, the semis are kinda "too big" for my liking so I am trying to "phase them out" of my collection :-p

"Would a petitition, if 'x' amount of signitures were submitted to the ASVA, convince them renaming a 3" or smaller Av, a micro?"

I dunno... Maybe... Maybe not. I'm new (less than a year) to the AVSA so I don't wanna "cause waves" :-p

"M3, your camera really picks up detail. It displays each 'hair' per leaf. I don't know if it's the camera or your computer. I like that."

Thanks but as I said when I posted that pic, my friend Jana took that one, not me. Jana's good tho. And I sorta taught Jana a bit of what I know. Good cameras help. But still, thanks--I do think I am a good photographer... You can see my pics in the gallery area of this forum.

"What's the brown pieces/medium in your soil? Is it bark?"

It's just the potting medium that all of Rob's plants come in. I bought this from his table at Tulsa Convention... But it's the same if you mail order from him.
    Kinda heavy stuff, I repot whatever I get from him immediately into a light mix (about 1/2 peat, 1/2 perlite) so I can get 'em on wick watering.

"I'm baffled by the number of people who travel around the US hunting down AV's. Did you go to OK to AV shop or other reasons and happen to come upon a show?"

I don't "travel around the US hunting down AV's" HAHAHAhahahahaha
    I went to Tulsa, OK in May because that was where the 62nd annual AVSA National Convention was being held.
    It's A BIG DEAL.... Not just the sales room with most of the biggest African Violet suppliers that are in biz, but meeting up with violet lovers from all over the world, with seminars & classes... Oh, and a BIG show.
    2009's National Convention will be in Reno, NV... so I'll be going there for it :-p
    Mostly I just liked it for the people. I only bought 2 plants (which was pathetic compared to most of the frenzied shoppers at Convention as you might imagine LOL)

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Bingo,
    This is number 100 on this thread. I agree with Lucille, lets begin a new page. Call it AV questions, part 2.
    Fred in NJ

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mojave, hope you see this..The picture of the 36" AV is about halfway down the page..

Every since it was posted, the image of this beautiful AV has been stamped in my mind..Toni

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mojave, hope you see this..The picture of the 36" AV is about halfway down the page..

Every since it was posted, the image of this beautiful AV has been stamped in my mind..Toni

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES