Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maidinmontana

Should I just quit looking at it . . will it grow then?

maidinmontana
14 years ago

Hi, I posted on this forum a few months ago, can't remember exactly when, but with very good advice and instruction, I trimmed a non blooming, over grown AV. Seperated the trailers and potted into two pots. They are in baggies and not dying, but not showing any signs of growing either.

The mama plant is in a smaller pot after removing some of her roots and older leaves. I posted pics of her after the process and everyone here said I did good and should see blooms soon. I look at it everyday, checking for some sign of graditude, but so far nothing. I have it with another recently bought AV that was blooming when I bought it and still is. They sit in front of an east window 12" from the glass. The plants look healthy but aren't growing.

Is there something I should be doing different? Maybe just be patient? Or quit looking at it everyday LOL.

Debi

Comments (8)

• m3rma1d
    14 years ago

A watched pot never boils, and a watched African violet never blooms. ;-)

• irina_co
    14 years ago

Hear, hear!

Debi-

Do you fertilize them?

the suckers in baggies - did they root? If you gently pull them by the leaf - do you feel that they are rooted and holding to the soil? If they did - you can graduially remove the baggies.

Keep us posted.

Irina

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

A very wise person once told me, "Just because you can't see activity above the ground doesn't mean that a whole new world isn't forming below."

I say quit watching it and get yourself some more leaves or babies and start some more so you'll have things to keep up with.

It will all come.

Dora

• quinnfyre
    14 years ago

Can they get closer to the glass? Maybe they want a bit more light. I have mine about 2-6in from a south facing window covered with sheer mesh. They bloom and grow well there. I also have one almost right up against the glass in a north facing window with blinds, and it grows, although slowly. I don't know if it will bloom there, it's an experiment. If it doesn't bloom this summer there, I'll know it probably won't ever bloom there. I have had AVs bloom in an east facing window at my last place, but they didn't bloom as frequently as they do now in this south facing window. I'd say move it to about 6in away if you can, and see how that goes. If you can't, I think it will eventually bloom anyway. Just reduce your looking at it to when you are watering it : )

• maidinmontana
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi and thanks ~
    Irina ~ yes the babies already had roots when I put them in a 2 oz solo up, I did take them out of the baggie as I noticed a few of the leaves turned soggy and went limp. One is in a wicked pot, the other is not, I just water when needed.

Quinn ~ I can move it closer to the glass, I will try that. One thing to note, the recently bought one has very few leaves, and they have long stems. The one in question (the one that refuses to bloom) the leaves are all very compact, close together, and you can't see the soil when looking down on the plant like you can on the other one. And the size of the leaves is much smaller on the problem one than on the other. Does this make a difference? There is no neck, just a lot of leaves.

Thanks again for the help and advise. . . debi

• irina_co
    14 years ago

Debi -

that's a fine line - bagged plant should have hi air humidity - and just barely moist soil. Ovewater the bagged plant or leaf - they rot.

Some plants have naturally longer petioles (leaf stems) - and some shorter. Shouldn't be affecting the ability to bloom.

How long ago did you repot this stubborn plant, what soil did you use and how do you fertilize?
    If the soil is relatvely fresh and not compacted - normally you canot keep it from blooming.

If eerything is OK and it stil doesn't bloom - give it to a friend. Somtimes - it will not perform for you - but will bloom its head off for another person.

Irina

• maidinmontana
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good news! I have buds both on the new one as well as the one that went thru the major makeover.

I did however move them to a north(bright light) window, I don't think that made a difference but at least I know they will grow/thrive there.

• lathyrus_odoratus
    14 years ago

Happy dance!