Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violet962

Violet looking sickly after repot

violet962
9 years ago

Hello everyone. I am looking for some help and am hoping you all can help me. I recently repotted my beloved African violet because it had suckers on it. I removed the suckers and replanted however my plant started to look sickly recently after the replant. This is my first time replanting my violets and I was not sure if this is supposed to happen or not. Please help.
Regards Violet

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Violet, Did you happen to notice what the root system looked like? Did you use new soil or what was in the pot? What kind of soil is it?

Linda

• violet962
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I used special African violet new soil. However I think some of the roots broke off when I tried to get the old soil off. And cut the suckers off. I also use a fertilizer in the water at a quarter teaspoon to a gallon of water ratio specifically for violets I just hope I didn't kill it and it's just traumatized by being replanted

• violet962
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the potting soil I used

• Debra Andruska
    9 years ago

To me it looks like the soil is DRY! With self watering pots, always use damp soil so that way it has a good start. I use damp soil for all repotting. I would spray the soil lightly with warm water, change the pot water to warm (just in case it's chilled). Seriously, check the water temp in the pot. I have central air on all summer, and in the self watering pots- the water's chilly. So, I kind of avoid using them. Shock- happens from dryness, overwatering, and chilly water. If it doesn't get better- take off the glassy limp leaves with a razor- to the neck of the violet. Go all the way until it's firm/crown left... Repot again. You might have to go to a smaller pot. Because then it would be overpotted and rot could occur. Violets like to be snug. And always use damp soil. It helps. Also, you can bag your violet (with a baggie) or clear bag. For two weeks or so. Slowly open it- allowing it to adjust from the greenhouse like environment to your regular house temps.

Deb

• Zukoll
    9 years ago

You should not use fertilizer before the root system is re-established. At least not within the first 2 weeks of re-potting for african violets. The potting soil looks suspicious to me since I do not see there is enough perlite in it. The plant looks de-hydrated and I would recommend to temporarily keep it in water and repot when new roots begin to grow and the leaves firm to the touch.

• violet962
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok I think I am going to look for new soil with more perlite in it tomorrow and remove the saggy leaves and put it in a cup with water and a bag and see if I can get it back to health thanks for all the helpful ideas.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

DO NOT put your violet in a cup of water and leave it sit. It will rot. Especially if it is bagged.

All the other instructions are great, though. Check your potting soil for fertilizer. Most bagged soils have fert. added so you do not need to add any more. This is why most growers like to mix their own soil. That way, they have control over the amount of fert. their plants get.

Someone once told me to think of a sick plant like you would a sick person: you wouldn't feed someone with the flu a steak dinner, you would give them chicken soup. Likewise,don't feed your violet a full dose of fert. Go easy until it perks up.

Linda

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    9 years ago

I don't like AV soils. I use regular potting mix with extra perlite thrown in. I find most AV soils are too heavy.

• Karin
    9 years ago

I use fafard av mix, and add as much perlite again. (50/50)
    I guess potting soil would work, but then I'd have to store a bag twice the size ;-p

Karin