Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vikki_jo

Vintage African violets

Vikki
9 years ago

I want to collect some of the harder to find vintage AVs to help preserve and pass along so they don't get lost forever.

Suggestions on which of the oldies to be looking for (or some of your favorite old-timers) and, as a plus, would anyone here have leaves or babies of any of them you would share with me for postage?

This post was edited by vivey on Fri, May 30, 14 at 11:53

Comments (27)

• quimoi
    9 years ago

I really don't know how to answer you, Vivey. The harder to find ones are going high on eBay. The others aren't hard to find or so it seems. (Until you look for it and it's gone.)

Right now I'm having a rough time replacing my Rosie Ruffles. I saw one that looked right on eBay and 2 that looked different. I've mentioned that 2 of my Fredette's vanished in the last 4 years or so.

When I wanted Tommie Lou, I had a hard time finding it, but it's all over now. It's still a worthwhile classic vintage plant, IMO, but you darned near can't give it away.

Seafoam, Midnight Radiation, and that sort seem to be in demand but they aren't the easiest things to grow and may not be the most satisfying. Be prepared for droppers too if you get into older singles.

Blue Boy would be a taste of an old time violet. (I wouldn't mind him again myself :)

Diana

• Vikki
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanx! Anyone else?

• Karin
    9 years ago

I don't honestly know, haven't been growing AV's long enough...
    there are a bunch of plants listed "Vintage" on the Bloomlover's site. but if they are so readily available there, then they probably aren't threatened to get lost anytime soon...

• quimoi
    9 years ago

As Karin said though, when they are readily available, they aren't endangered. It makes it a difficult question.

Thanks for helping somewhat to clear the fog around Violet Gallery. There have been some conflicting posts but after they cancelled orders, posted the news on the website and took down the catalog, it really seemed clear that they were done except for doing some shows.

Violet Gallery carried a lot but varieties would disappear from their inventory without warning too.

Diana

• quimoi
    9 years ago

Vivey,

The AVSA posts a list of "Most Wanted" african violets each year. Of course, you have to be a member to see this and I have let my membership lapse.

Awhile ago, I saw a list and some of them had been crossed off as "found" and I thought that perhaps some of those might be a starting point for ones to continue with, but again I can't find a trace of it.

Maybe someone else has access and can judge if that is a good idea. The way I find out they're gone is to try to find them again :). One person growing a plant doesn't really help too much either because when something happens there, it's still gone. We've seen this with vendors.

Diana

• lucky123
    9 years ago

I am not an "old hand" at this but what is "vintage" has qualities that make it worth saving.
    Since Linda has been looking for Garnet Elf, I have looked at the plant. It has attractive blooms, foliage as well as "vintage." It is not exactly like anything else.
    It is like collecting old cars. Some are worth more as collector items and not just because of "vintage."
    Some items become unfashionable for a time but are worth saving for when they are again fashionable
    Two groups I would collect are the very large standards and the longifolia.

• quimoi
    9 years ago

The "Space Hog" series?

The longifolia seem to sell pretty well on eBay. I never grew one.

If you take up the big ones theme though, be aware that not every one that says "large" in the descriptions really grows large. I don't know if time has taken its toll on the strains or what but some of them are even a bit undersized. Tiger can get large but it seems to be going along okay at the moment.

Sometimes you will see a photo and lust and yearn after that plant but when you get it, it's a whopping disappointment. Vintage violets can be very much like that, even if they look like the photo.

Diana

This post was edited by quimoi on Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 12:52

• suecirish
    9 years ago

I am also a collector of vintage violets. At this point, they make up most of my collection. I have the same motivation - to save and preserve. I get a lot of my harder to find ones from trades and from purchasing plants that members sell at our regional AV society meetings twice a year. If you want to do a trade, send me an email. I will try to get my list together and you can see if there is anything you are looking for.
    Sue

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Lucky,

Interest in vintage violets might be a matter of what makes the hobby fun, the thrill of the chase, plus
    personal preference, historical interest in the people who care so passionately about creating diversity and the plant genetics.
    Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 15:38

• quimoi
    9 years ago

Does anyone else think that there aren't many lavender/purple (not so much the dark blue purple) ones any more? Or is it just me?

I don't know what that color of purple is that Optimara has. It kind of shocks me across the room.

Diana

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Diana,
    Yes, agreed.
    I suspect it is a very hard color to reproduce.
    Got a kick out of your "space hog" joke, 'though it took me
    a minute.
    Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 16:05

• Vikki
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You asked for my list for trade. I really don't have one right now, that's why I'm asking people for their suggestions, so I can start collecting them. There are lot's of really nice newer AVs out there, and I have a lot of them, but but I've been looking at some of the older, vintage ones and there seems to be some flower patterns that I'm just not seeing. Garnet Elf (the older lavender and white one) is an example.

If anyone happens to be grooming their vintage AVs, I would gladly take some of your leaves off you hands for the cost of shipping and handling. PLEASE keep me in mind and please don't just toss those potential babies out.

• quimoi
    9 years ago

Vivey,

Perhaps you could find something that appeals to you and start there. Midnight Radiation is sometimes available or Seafoam and Firebird. Leaves can be obtained for a fairly reasonable amount if no one has them for postage. Most of us haven't been able to obtain Garnet Elf but I wish you luck. The others would give you a taste of that type. I have none of those at the moment.

Barbara Elkin's plants don't seem to be widely grown. I've never had any. Some look interesting.

I've just noticed that the Jimmy Dates wasps have become scarce while everyone is chasing after Senks. I would be interested in obtaining some of those if anyone has them. I got a couple on that auction site. (That is what happens - you turn around and something is just gone.)

Diana

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Vivey,
    sent an email.
    Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 1:17

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Sueirish,

I'm always interested in a trade!

I see 'Midnight Radiation' quite a bit on E Bay. Also, I was talking to someone at convention who has grown 'Garnet Elf' on two different occasions and she said she threw it out both times. (Sigh...) I didn't get the chance to ask her why; I'm assuming it didn't grow well for her. It always did great for me.

Linda

• Vikki
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Linda, we're gonna find her for you sooner or later!

• quimoi
    9 years ago

I also grow vintage ones if anyone is interested in keeping them going.

Linda,

I don't know if I've been clear about what I've been trying to say about the vintage plants. So often the variety we knew and loved way back when isn't the same thing when we find it now. They don't look like the ones we can find if we have old issues of the AVSA magazine. I had a lot of back issues, but finally discarded them.

I was thrilled to get an older Rhapsodie (i could check but it may have been Gigi, not sure) and the leaves were just tiny little things and, well, there were problems with that whole order anyway.

I had a very nice Fredette's Sweet Jenny (almost vintage) and lost it. The new one blooms well but just isn't as nice. It seems to be a smaller plant. This sort of disappointment may be why the people didn't keep Garnet Elf.

Diana

This post was edited by quimoi on Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 11:45

• Vikki
    Original Author
    9 years ago

But some people still do have plants that look and grow like the originals. Those are the ones I would be most excited about finding. Diana, send me an email. I can't see yours in your profile to send you one.

• quimoi
    9 years ago

Vivey,

That's funny. I thought I fixed that and I did get one. OTOH, I haven't exactly been spammed.

Okay.

Anyway, yes some of them are okay. And they can vary a good bit too which is frustrating. I think the "fancier" they are, the more likely they are to go wrong with time, but that's just my opinion.

Diana

• patty_mae
    9 years ago

Hi

I'm just going to jump in here, if you don't mind. I'm looking for the Dates' violets. I have Senk's to swap for Dates.

• susancarol
    9 years ago

This thread sounds so interesting. I've just recently started to get interested in violets as I'm more into hoya and dracaena.

I would really like some of those large violets and I don't know if they are vintage or not but I haven't seen too much in the big box stores this season.

Thank you,
    Susan in Virginia

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Violet

This post was edited by fortyseven on Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 23:50

• summer_fashion
    9 years ago

If anyone still grows Delft Imperial could I buy some leaves from you. I used to have this AV years ago but lost my violets when I moved to Indiana. I would like to start growing AV again and would like to start with Delft Imperial. Thank you. Margaret

• Robert Ferrin
    6 years ago

Yes it seems many of the old varitie's are getting harder and harder to find,been looking for Chartreuse Wonder for ever and can't find one...

• irina_co
    6 years ago

You are correct. Some of the old varieties are totally gone from cultivation. I checked - and seems it was quite a while since anybody mentioned this beautiful variety. Dolores Harrington lived in MN and probably the best chance to recover it would be to contact MN AV clubs.

Good Luck

I.

• alabamaav
    5 years ago

A good place to look up descriptions of vintage violets is Florals of Fredericks. They closed many years ago, but the website is still active. Some even have photos!

http://216.187.79.172/std.htm

Sponsored
Uncommon Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Turnkey Interior Design Studio in Loudoun County, VA