Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haxuan

My plants look 'tired'

haxuan
14 years ago

Although most of my plants still do blooms regularly, they look tired. What could be the reason?

They are on wick. I use Schultz Violet liquid food in the water reservoir, at half strength. But I haven't repotted the plants for about six months now.

Also, I've often found the lower-most leaves turned soft (like rot) and/or dried, so that each time I refilled the reservoir, I had to take off those leaves from many plants.

What can I do to make my plants look "fresh and cheerful" again, especially the minis whose leaves have 'brownish' color.

Many thanks for your advice.

Xuan

Comments (11)

• bspofford
    14 years ago

Hi, Xuan,

We haven't heard from you in a while.

Time to repot, my dear. The potting mix breaks down over time, and becomes more acidic. Be sure to disbud when you do. I think you will find they perk right up.

Good growing,

Barbara

• haxuan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Barb. I also thought I should repot, but you know... sometime one just gets lazy especially in damp weather!
    But I should not be lazy now since YOU want me to, not the plants which cannot talk, hehehe.

Xuan

• bspofford
    14 years ago

Well, gee, Xuan, since you are doing it because I want you to, what else do you have to do that I can want you to do? Will that help you? LOL
    I can speak from experience about the joy of repotting.....having just finished a major repotting session about a month ago. And since it took me about six weeks to do it, I'll need to start over in 4 months. I had been REALLY lazy about it, and some of my plants went over a year. They were not only tired, but sad also. But they are very happy and most are blooming their heads off.

Our winters here are long and cold, so it is a good time to do the repotting chores. And, today and tomorrow are good lunar signs, so go for it!

Take care, all you growers. Go repot something!

Barbara

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

Xuan,
    You are wrong, the plants are speaking to you. They are telling you it's time to repot.
    Fred in NJ

• haxuan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hehehe... thanks people. What I meant was that... it's easy to ignore the plants' calling but it's hard to ignore the experts' advice.
    So, ok... go repotting TODAY. I WILL defnitely!
    You guys are so nice and helpful, as always. Here's a pic of my plants to share.

{{gwi:364902}}

Xuan

• bspofford
    14 years ago

Those look great! Nice growing.

Barbara

• quinnfyre
    14 years ago

Pretty! I'm jealous of all your blooms. I also like the fact that your fan has a face on it : )

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

Xuan,
    they seem to love that spot in the window.

Nice collection. I bet they'll love you even more after a repotting session. maybe those outer leaves that seem so tired want to come off so more energy can go to the crown??

Dora

• haxuan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, Dora and Barbara.
    I re-potted 1/3 of my plants (those in the photo) last night. Yes, I trimmed off many outer leaves, and the roots too, so they could stay in the same pot size. I hope the plants wouldn't mind my restricting their growth.
    Today I'm going to re-pot other plants in my bathroom and the upstairs sitting room.
    These days, I try to keep a limit number to AVs. I simply have no more space inside for them. Common problem, isn't it?.

Xuan

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

Xuan,
    If you cut the neck of the plant or more than 1/2 the roots/root ball off the system, then you may want to consider "bagging" the plants so that the root system can restimulate and recoup.

how bout some pics of what you have now?

Dora

• haxuan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dora, I didn't bag the plants since I didnt't cut their neck... I just trim many outer leaves. I thought the 'baggy method' would help much but I believed my plants would be ok having lost just the leaves and about 1/3 of the root ball. I also de-flowered/de-buded them so that they wouldn't lose much energy.
    I've left my plants (at our second home) to go back to our main home so I cannot take photos now. I really hope that when I come back there next week, I would find them all happy-looking again. I will post follow-up pics then.

Xuan