Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leggy leaf stems

Posted by pinkorchid 9a (My Page) on
Fri, May 1, 09 at 9:57

I have a garden customer with a half dead African violet. So I repotted for her in an AV pot with AV soil, babied it for awhile and gave it back to her in good condition, had her get a lamp for it for sufficient light and it was doing wonderful. it started blooming and the leaf stems got VERY long and leggy, I thought the light was too far away so had her lower it abit and it burnt one of the leaves so had her raise it again. but still getting the long leggy leaf stems, any advice? Her window she has it in is very dark, hence the light and why I think it was dying in the first place. It is a very old plant about 7 years I think. She said she hadn't had it blooming in about that long and had problems with it for about that long. Help please, I am an outdoor gardener, I had AV's in the past and never had this problem with them. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leggy leaf stems

Hi, just a thought maybe she should put it into a different window and see how it likes it. Most of my violets are in a east facing window, I also notice lately if I move one it shows me it wants to go back where I had it by not doing as well in the new place I put it. Terri

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here