Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavenderiasis

help my african violet

lavenderiasis
9 years ago

hi
I am new to african violet, I have 3 plant since 6mon they are in good health and they flowered once for me but after that the leaf are curled up , and they stop putting any flower :(
and one plant it shows brown colour of the tips
can you help me figure what is wrong with them
thanks

Comments (9)

• lavenderiasis
    Original Author
    9 years ago

this the second one

• lavenderiasis
    Original Author
    9 years ago

the side view

• lavenderiasis
    Original Author
    9 years ago

the 3rd one with the brown tips
    (I don't know how to upload multiple images in one post, sorry)

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Number 1 and 2 too much light. No. 3 chloramine. I am at a club meeting. They suggested too much fertilizer for no. 1. Also, refer to march AV mag.

This post was edited by fortyseven on Sat, May 24, 14 at 14:22

• lavenderiasis
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I keep them under grow light for more than 8 hr. so should I decrease the duration or increase the distance from the light or both?
    thanks

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Probably. Leach the soil for number one, which has lighter leaves and can't take too much light. Move away from light. Number 2, not as severe damage. No. 3 remove damaged leaves. Make sure water does not have chloramine. Sun damage can also cause the discoloration. Try to get a copy of the AV magazine mentioned above. It has similar photos of leaf damage and suggestions. Others on the Forum might have better advice for you. I don't grow under lights. If the centers are tight, that can also be too much light. J

This post was edited by fortyseven on Sun, May 25, 14 at 1:30

• lavenderiasis
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks for your advice, and how can I read this magazine if I am not a member in AV mag. . Do you have a link to this article?
    thanks for the help

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Hi,
    Do you have an African violet club near you? If you do, the people there will be more familiar with your growing environment. They might have back copies of the AVSA magazine. I read the actual magazine. I did not read it on line. I do not know if it is available on line.

Other online resources are Rachel's Reflections. The Violet Barn is a seller. They have helpful information on their website.

Your plants appear to have tight centers. That can be caused by too much light, When using artificial light.

Some people say the tight centers will never loosen up. I don't know if that is true or not.

Some people might suggest that you move the plants further away from the lights, such as putting them
    at the end of the stand, or raising the lights.

I am not the best one to offer advice. Hopefully one of the experts on this forum will see your question and offer better advice.

If it is possible for you to grow in window light, at this time of year where you live, perhaps try that for a while. Sometimes, you might find that you can grow in window light, at least for part of the year.
    Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Sun, May 25, 14 at 14:56

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

L,

Your pot on the second one is much too big. It should be about 1/3 the size of your violet. A plant (any plant) that is over-potted will spend its time filling up the soil with roots at the expense of flowering. Flowering is a sort of last ditch effort to survive, by passing on its genetics, and a plant that is comfy will often not flower.

Violets under lights should be about 12 inches from the top of the plant to the bottom of the lights. Lights should be run about 10-12 hours a day. Start with that and then tweak it to fit your plants.

Linda

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES