Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
just pollinated my flowers - now what?

Posted by packinblack z6 KY (My Page) on
Thu, May 28, 09 at 11:04

Hello.......I haven't been on here in awhile......last time was probably to ask about my "mutant" AV.

Today I tried pollinating a few flowers for the first time.....pinched off an anther & rubbed it around on the stigmas of all the other flowers, on two plants (the same one it came off of, and a second one).

Now it says to wait 4-6 months for seeds - arrrrgh!!! How soon will I know if it worked? Should you be able to see pollen stick to the stigma (I couldn't, but the stigmas did look sticky - even appeared to have a little drop of moisture at the ends)?

Another thing.......are "mutant" flowers usually sterile or anything? That's the one I took the anther from.

Here's a pic of the mutant:
mutant violets

And a pic of the other one (looks the same as the parent plant) - this one and the mutant are actually "littermates" LOL. (I'm in KY, it's okay LOL) :)
purple violets (rose)

What do you guys think? Am I going to get seeds??? :)

I'm actually expecting AV "babies" any time now...from 6 leaves stuck in dirt (3 mutant, 3 regular) - have never tried to make seeds before! I want to make more mutants! REALLY curious what I would get from seeds, since I've read they usually vary????

J

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: just pollinated my flowers - now what?

Just want to make sure...

The pollen sacs should be picked open with a pin (the pollen is on the inside of the yellow sac) and it's easiest to use a small paint brush or toothpick to dab the pollen onto the stigma. The pollen is pretty conspicuous :)

If you've done all that, you should have seeds in a few months. Good luck!

o

Ohhhhhhhhh I did not pick anything open.......just pinched off one of the yellow anthers & rubbed it around on the stigma. No wonder I did not see anything, LOL!!!

The stigmas look like they are sticky again - I guess they recovered from *not really* getting pollinated the other day, LOL! I will try that, thanks!! :)

J

o
RE: just pollinated my flowers - now what?*

Thanks for the tip, Fuzzyleaves!!! I cut the little yellow part open and could see the pollen - I know I had a couple successful "breedings" this time, LOL!! (Hoping those stigmas were still fertile...I guess time will tell!)

J

o

Just read this and I have never heard of breeding violets. Never saw a seed on one either. What do they look like, how big are they and how do you propagate them? Cheryl

o

Cheryl,
A ripe pollen sac is about 1/4" long and 1/8" wide and usually contains 100+ seeds to a pod.
Fred in NJ

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here