Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misschivous

Can I revive my African Violet?

misschivous
15 years ago

Hi everyone - I'm new to the forum but am hoping someone can please help me! I have an African Violet that I'm afraid is beyond hope but I would really like to save - my mom gave it to me when I got married almost three years ago and in the beginning I was great about caring for it. But I have to admit that I have been completely neglectful lately and when I looked at it the other day all of the leaves were dead (I know, I know - I am bad!!). My husband and I are starting to get into plants and I have a new-found respect for this African Violet and the motivation to bring it back and was hoping for some advice if it's at all possible. My husband suggested that I take all the dead leaves off so that the roots could heal, so I did that. I've given it water for the past few days as well. Also I have it in a clay pot sitting on a windowsill so that it gets sunlight. If anyone has any advice on what I can do to be a good plant-mother to this violet, I would really appreciate it. I know there's a chance I'll have to start fresh with a new one but I'd love to try saving this one first as it has sentimental value. Thank you so much!!

-Chrissie

Comments (80)

• irina_co
    6 years ago

Water from the outside tap - where you attach a garden hose If you do not have too many inside plants - you can either buy bottled water - or fill a couple of gallon jugs at the friends and relatives houses.

Softened water has a high level of sodium - basically table salt - and it will kill all kinds of house plants if you use it.

• Rosie1949
    6 years ago

Years ago, before we got city water past our house, we had water brought in and dumped into a cistern. We also had to get a softener system so we could use the water. I never understood why all of my plants died. I didn't make the connection. So for a lot of years I didn't go without plants, but I wasn't able to keep them alive. So I bought,,,and they died!!!

Now I know. But I didn't have anyone to tell me, and I didn't have gwf either. Now I do. Rosie

• Maile Hatch
    6 years ago
    So if I change the way I water, do you think my plants will start regrowing? Thanks for all the advice.
    Maile
  • Rosie1949
    6 years ago

I think so. If you are using softened water it is the salt that is killing them. Stop using that, water with different water and you might be able to save some. If not at least you won't kill the new ones! Rosie

• Rosie1949
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I agree with Irina. They don't look hopeful. And your Grandmother would keep encouraging you if she were here. Don't give up. If they don't make it, get one more and try with different water, soil etc.

No need to learn on your own, however. We are here to help. Unfortunately for your little violets, help came too late.

But don't give up. Start fresh and thank Grandmother for giving you the desire to grow a violet! Rosie

• irina_co
    6 years ago

Hear, Hear!

• Melissa Kellman
    6 years ago

Help!!! How can I save this? I think it got a draft and has been slowly dying ever since. I have had it ever since my mom passed 4 years ago. At one point, not long ago, it was the largest, healthiest violet I have ever seen. I have not changed my watering habit. It gets a small dose of water every 8 days., the same it has always had. I have tried the bag method, artificial light, indirect sunlight, everything I can think of. It has a long woody neck to it.

• irina_co
    6 years ago

Melissa - it is 99% dead . Probably root rot, I can come up with some desperate measures - but it probably will still die.

The best way to remember your Mom's love of violets - is to continue growing violets. Check when your local Home Depot or other big box store gets shipments of blooming African Violets - and pick one or 2 healthy looking plants that remind you of the one you lost - and start from scratch. We all lose AVs every so often - but we still love them and continue growing.

Good Luck

Irina

• Melissa Kellman
    6 years ago

Thank you! I am open to any desperate measures you can suggest. I did manage to clip a leaf a couple of weeks ago and put it in some dirt. That looks like it might have some hope yet. Regardless I will continue to grow them. They sure are beautiful!

• irina_co
    6 years ago

Desperate measures. What orchid growers call sphag and bag. Get some sphagnum moss - not peat moss, but sphagnum. Orchid supplies places carry it, good nurseries have it. You only need a handful - so may be you know some orchid growers to borrow,

Prewet and squeeze extra water out of your sphagnum moss - it should be barely moist Put it in ziplock baggie or a transparent plastic box - salad container.

Now - shake your pot out on a sheet of a newspaper. Pick your woody stem. With the sharp blade - remove the tip, remove leftover of dead leaves etc, Probably the underground part of the stem has rot - start from the end and cut slices until you get to the healthy tissue. Wipe the blade with alcohol, and recut a little bit again, You do not need roots, You just need a piece of a healthy stem. Wash it, lightly scrape the cork tissue off the skin,

Now put your stem horizontally on a surface of a barely moist sphagnum, seal the baggie or cover the lid - and keep the thing in a warm light spot without direct sun. Fluorescent light will work too,

Provided that your piece of stem is of a good enough size and you removed all rotting tissue - the sleeping buds will wake up and start growing suckers you can harvest and root later... like in 2 months

Sphagnum prevents fungal and bacterial infection, So if there is life in it - your AV will try to regrow, You check it every so often and add a little bit of water to keep the plant ICU barely moist. You can stick your leaf in the same box- it will root there too. Not the one on a photo - the one you saved before,

Good Luck. And if your stem is dead- it is dead - no way to revive it,

The leaf you saved - keep it in covered, like in a ziplock - and do not overwater keep it barely moist, but not dry.

Good Luck

I,

• Cheryl
    6 years ago

Irina, this is so good!!!!!!!!!! I’m doing it too. Want to save my litttle Rob’s Chilly Willy. I don’t think I have a viable leaf but I do have a stem. I was told that some use bleach on leaves before propagating? Have u heard of this? Also is Sphagum prevents fungal problems, can we top layer with it? Would it help? I am guessing there is a reason that I have not seen it done. I saw ng move in the dirt. I am ordering loupes today.

• irina_co
    6 years ago

On the surface. The stem needs light. But if its alive and sealed in a high humidity - it will get the sleeping buds activated - and you will have some fresh plant material to restart. you can cover the bottom of the stem a little bit, not too deep, just a sprinkle. But if the top bud is gone - and it probably is - you will be better restating it from a sucker.

I use bleach if I bring leaves from somewhere else, 1/4 rubbing alcohol solution works too. It is to kill whatever I could bring on the leaves. Spores, eggs, mites... you never know.

Sphag and bag is invented by Orchid growers. They do use this technique to give an ailing plant a spa treatment.

I.

• Cheryl
    6 years ago

Had it in the humidity dome but it was passings quickly there too. I saw condensation around the dirt area of pot and thought to dry out over night on mat. Will return to dome now.

alcohol- just brush or spray on leaves, 1/4 ratio to water.

bleach ratio?

also I saw a bug, or something move in dirt. Which is. Ne I guess but would like to treat. I have mosquito dunks bits soaking in gallon of water. To give to all plants. I also have Green Light neem. I am concerned to use as I read somewhere that it was deficient but no details were given.

• Cheryl
    6 years ago

U might remember my last attempt at treating gnats with the dawn solution didn’t go so well. Lesson to learn, - lol

• Jeff Zenner
    6 years ago

I like the sphagnum moss trick. I hope none of my good ones ever need it but if it does, Im ready!

• irina_co
    6 years ago

There is some life in our pots that is not detrimental to the plants. Soil mites for example. If it is not white - it is probably can be left alone.

Right now - washing the stem with soapy water is the only thing you can do, Any kind of extra stress by using pesticides

If you saw soil mealy bugs - they are white, remind a smallish rice grain and move very slowly - I would just chuck the works. Very hard to get rid of.

• Cheryl
    6 years ago

K, I don’t have those. Yay! So relieved. Will not do pesticides. That includes mosquito dunk water. U r such a wonderful teacher. I adore u, irina_co!!!! Thank u for trying to walk me thru saving these little ones. Can’t tell u how much it means to me. ; )

• Aniruddh Munde
    6 years ago

Hi, Im new to gardening and live in Seattle - so not much sunlight. Needed an indoor plant so got an African Violet. It stayed great for a year but now has ( I think ) withered away. Reading the FAQs, I do realize some mistakes I did : watering on the leaves and keeping the soil wet.

Posting here pictures to see if this can be survived or there is no more hope for it :(

• Rosie1949
    6 years ago

No hope. Plan a small funeral, a few close friends, nice luncheon and prepare to adopt another one.

HOWEVER! Before you bring another one into the fold,,,,,cruise this forum. Get some basics and then jump in with both feet!!!!! Good luck!!! Rosie

• irina_co
    6 years ago

Keeping an AV too wet - that what killed it. Wet leaves - old wives tale.

Seattle has a nice AV club.

Seattle AVS

Greenwood Branch of Seattle Public Library
    8016 Greenwood Avenue North
    Seattle, WA 98103

Meeting Times: Usually third Saturday of the month - 11:00 a..m.

And they have show and sale on 4.21.

Wallingford Senior Center

Address:

4649 Sunnyside Ave N #140
    Seattle, WA 98103

9.30 am - 4pm. - plant sales - show open - 12-4pm

If you are interested already - come to the club meeting as a guest - say hello to Bob Clark from me. You do not need to join immediately - just see if you like them. Otherwise - attend the Show - at 12 when they open the Show part - you will LOVE it.

Irina

• fortyseven_gw
    6 years ago

Anyway, store bought plants have to be repotted within a few months. The clay type stuff they are packed in is only meant to be temporary. Those store bought plants don't last long.

Get some basic information from the Optimara website first before going to a club meeting. Decide if you have the motivation to care for a plant. Your plant looks as though you treated it like a plastic, self-watering plant you shoved in a corner and forgot about it for six months. Then to make doubly sure it would meet it's untimely demise by dehydration, you placed it on a paper towel. Lesson number one is that you need to be able to tell "dead" from "alive."

Haven't you ever had wilted lettuce in your fridge? Did you post a photo of it on a gourmet chefs' website and ask how to revive it?

In fact, if you live in Seattle, I would recommend you get a plastic or fabric plant. You have too much dark and rain to be successful.

People in violet clubs take their hobby seriously. They don't grow store bought plants. They usually welcome newcomers. But only if the newcomer is willing to keep a plant alive. Otherwise, they won't give you the right time of day.

• Aniruddh Munde
    6 years ago

Thank you for the advise Rosie, Irina and fortyseven_gw. Im sorry if I offended by posting the sad picture. I didnt forget about my plant, I kept it on the paper towel because the pot was leaking water whenever I would water it - that too only once I week. I tried to keep it in different lighting conditions - but eventually it didnt work out. I’ll follow up on all your suggestions and make sure I dont do the same mistakes.

• Rosie1949
    6 years ago

Awwww, come on forty seven! Low light can be overcome. We all do it.

Aniruddh Munde if you get another violet, post a pix on this thread. Would love to see it!

Then put it in front of the brightest window you have and if that isn't enough light,,,,,put a little lamp near it.

Also get a decorative pot with NO HOLES one inch larger than the pot the plant is in and use it as a cover pot. OR use a margarine container or something similar so water doesn't ruin your table.

Now about watering,,,,take plant OUT of cover pot, gently water every particle of soil (try not to water the leaves) then let it drain in the sink. I mean water, water, and water some more. THEN after it drains put it back in the cover pot.

Wait until that violet is almost dry. Don't let it STAY dry just almost dry. Pay attention to how long that takes. Now take it out of the pot, to the sink, and let water again generously run thru until everything is watered. Drain. Put back in cover pot.

Realize this is just very basic violet 101. In between waterings,,,,,come to this forum and read, read and read EVERYTHING you can.

Ask questions. We have all been beginners. No question is stupid,,,,but please read for a solution first. We can't always start at the beginning with every new violet enthusiast. Hope you understand. Good Luck! Hope to hear from you again!!!!! Rosie

• Tiffu (Oregon 8b)
    6 years ago

Aniruddh -- I'm in Eugene, OR, so I hear you on the light issue. It's really a challenge this time of year. I actually started with violets to combat the winter blues. If you just have one plant, you can get by with a desk lamp. If you really want it to thrive, well, you and I have to get a little more inventive than most. :) There are some truly excellent discussions on lighting in this forum if you look around!

It sounds like you've already done some reading if you know portions of what went wrong so you're probably getting a pretty good basis for trying again! The best part of this hobby is that even failure is an excuse for something beautiful and new.

This forum is a great resource and the ladies and gents around here are so incredibly knowledgeable. I hope to see photos of your new violet soon! Pick an awesome one!

• irina_co
    6 years ago

Aniruddh - you didn't offend anybody - we all were beginners some time ago and we killed some African Violets too until we learned how to grow them. Violets gets sick and die when in care of the most experienced growers. You read - you ask - you read some more. Why visiting the club is good - they take care of the newbies - and show what to do. Seeing how it is done with your own eyes helps.

• Rosie1949
    6 years ago

I think you are on your way. As Irina said,,,we all started somewhere! And it will be a constant learning process. Try this,,,,oh that sounds like a good idea,,,try that and so on.

DON'T GIVE UP!!!! And talk to us. Ask us. We are here to help. Rosie

• Cheryl
    6 years ago

Aniruddh - your picture is fine. Pictures do help with the advise you will receive. I am new and just sadly sent 2 to the embarrassing side of my hidden stories. It’s ok. It gets better and easier, before you know it you have blooms. Oh! ............and me too! I have blooms and babies!!!!!! Yay!!!!!! Happy dance!

see them. They r tiny but there they are! Took forever! Like from mid Nov til now ......- forever. Still happy. You will get amazing advise. Don’t give up. It is worth it.

• A Person
    6 years ago

What a lovely generous forum. Like so many others, my violet is from a loved one now gone. She has brought me so much joy-always blooming when I need a message from my mom. The violet had been getting a long leggy stem and I noticed a funkiness on inside of the pot & the leaves closest to or touching the side would get mushy. I also noticed newest leaves were very small. watched a video & did what I thought it said- pinched off most leaves & then sliced away at root which definitely had rot. I repotted the small stem & leaves but they look miserable. Just saw another video that said to put in a bag under a light which I did. Not clear about a few things:

- I'm not 100% sure the stem was rot free but I was afraid to keep shaving down

- do I keep her in the bag under the light?? For how long?

- I still have some leaves that I previously cut off- should I do something with them?

thank you so much!

• irina_co
    6 years ago

Try to root the leaves. At that point - your original plan can make it or not - as you said- you never know if the infection will catch up with it. Try to root in water and try to root in soil - you really need one starter which will be a clone of your original plant.

• Melissa Kellman
    6 years ago

Irina, I have done the sphagnum bed for my stem. After a week it looks moldy? I assume that is a bad sign.

• irina_co
    6 years ago

I think you are right. Since we are not in a business of resurrecting dead... write it off as an experience and new knowledge - and get yourself another one.

We love them ...

• Laura Froese
    6 years ago

Please help!! My African violet I got from my grandma was just knocked over! 95% of the leaves were knocked off. I got him back up straight and in the pot and watered him but is there anything else I can do to make sure he survives???

• irina_co
    6 years ago

The idea is correct.The pot is not. Way too big. Find a smaller pot for it - preferrably plastic - about 3" diameter. For now - break off or scrape off the stubs of the broken leaves down to the stem. Keep your pot barely moist. Not dry and not soggy.

When you find another pot - repot your AV, Possibly the roots will be too long - you can trim the bottom of the root ball the way that when you pot it up - the soil will be just under the lowest leaves - not stubs stubs you remove today. You can just cut off the root ball with a knife. Try not to disturb roots more than necessary.

It is doable, it is not a problem. It will grow back. Just do not overwater, keep it in a good light. Not on a southern window - it will be too bright.

Good Luck

I.

• Laura Froese
    6 years ago

I just put him back in that pot because he was that big :( I was actually going to repot it to a bigger pot because this one was getting small. Thank you for the info!

• irina_co
    6 years ago

Laura - the pot shouldn't be bigger than 1/3 of the leaf span. Otherwise they catch rot and die. The soil stays too wet since they cannot utilize all the water. They do the best when they just filled the pots with roots - the growth cycle is done - LETS BLOOM! In nature wild Saintpaulias do not grow in the open field - they grow in the cracks in the rocks in the mountain forests. So whatever debris and leaf litter got accumulated in these cracks - they utilize it, anchor themselves - and start blooming. So we try to imitate what they have in nature - not too much soil and it should be very breathable. Water never stays in the cracks - it runs down. So soggy roots are not good. Water - and 15 min later - splash leftovers out of the saucer.

• Rosie1949
    6 years ago

I wouldn't use clay pots for violets. Since you need another pot for it and your plant is not that big, try a 3oz Solo type cup. Make sure you put a couple holes in the bottom first, then plant. Good luck! Rosie

• dbarron
    6 years ago

I've seen well-grown vintage AVs in clay pots. Clay breaths more than plastic, but requires more watering due to evaporation.

• Rosie1949
    6 years ago

I agree dbarron, but it also "wicks" away moisture from the soil hence leading to more frequent watering chores. Also they can create salt/fertilizer deposits on the rim that you eventually have to deal with. Plastic is light weight and comes in more sizes. I don't know,,,,I just prefer the plastic. I think they are far more beneficial. Rosie

• Laura Froese
    6 years ago

Thank you for the input! I was able to get some leaves to try to propagate a new plant. My pot is actually plastic just looks clay, plastic is cheaper!

• dbarron
    6 years ago

Yep, though some plants I prefer clay, because root aeration is important. I've done violets in both.

Long term Rosie, I think you generally repot often enough that clay is fine for hand-watering (which is what I do), and less fine (because of salts) with wick-fed.

• HU-23953718617033277
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

tonytigerfan20 TN What is the crown you all are talking about. I have one I really would love to save. All the leaves on it is dead. THANKS!

• aegis1000
    5 years ago

You can't save a plant without leaves ... but you can ... replace it.

• HU-23953718617033277
    5 years ago

What is the crown they are talking about.

• aegis1000
    5 years ago

The African Violet crown is the center growth point of the plant, where, hopefully, all of the plant's growth originates. You could think of it as the central stem of the plant. It's the point from where the small new leaves grow.

• HU-23953718617033277
    5 years ago

Ok Thanks!

• Maile Hatch
    5 years ago
    I bought some new African violets last year when my other ones died. I have never been able to get them to bloom since I bought them. Recently I have noticed that one of them has the stems turning a reddish color. Can anyone help me know what to do to help them or get them to bloom? The leaves look healthy and I don’t know what I am doing wrong.
  • dbarron
    5 years ago

This is just a guess (but probably a good guess), the light is probably not right. Usually more is required if blooms aren't being produced, esp with deep dark green leaves like that.

Oh, and a tip for the future, please start your own thread on new topics. It's more likely to be viewed if it's separate. It's less likely to piss off the thread owner. And it's just less cluttered reading for all of us.

• Maile Hatch
    5 years ago
    dbarron I’m not sure how to start a new thread on here. I will try a different light source again. Thanks
  • aegis1000
    5 years ago

So ... you're looking to give your plants 10-12 hours of sunlight ... or fluorescent light or LED light ... per day.

I keep my plants blooming with a combination of window light and fluorescent light. You can use cheap desk-lamps with CFL or LED bulbs. The light source (and/or window) should be no more than 1 foot away from your plants.

P.S. To start a new thread, select the appropriate discussion category (in this case, African Violets) and start a new question/comment ...

Desk-lamp

CFL bulb