Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alamo Sunshine no petals on flower

Posted by immatater 8a (My Page) on
Tue, May 20, 08 at 12:58

I bought a few new types of african violets when they were plantlets. They are now getting to a good size and starting to put out blooms. This one is supposed to be "alamo sunshine" but the flowers have no/very small petals. Is there anything that might correct this or is it something wrong with the genetics of the plant? I am using the same fertilizers that I use for all my other AV's (Peter's Specialties AV).

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alamo Sunshine no petals on flower

I think you have a sport. Hardly any petals - all genitalia.

Runner up to AV Botanika - and variegated!

Irina

Here is a link that might be useful: Botanika

o

I love the variegated leaves. This is the first blooming of this plant. Is there a chance the next blooming could be "normal"?

o

If it is a sport - not really. Just to check if it is something else - first bloom deviation or else - remove all flowers, leach the pot - and wait for the next flush. Sometimes the first bloom is not typical. But yours is so very atypical...

The variegation is gorgeous. May be you need to try again. Did all your starters bloomed this way? Sometimes out of let's say 5 babies - 1 sports, the rest look like mama. There are varieties that are very hard to start from a leaf - they sport so much. Playful Spectrum - is one of them.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Irina

o

The ones I got were all different types so this is the only one I have of this kind. I will play with it (removing the flowers etc.) and I'm also going to try to start another from one of the leaves and see what happens. No matter what, I still think its a lovely plant ;)

o

It does have lovely variegation... I kinda want one now (ha! I need more violets like I need a hole in my head...) I did have a plant that bloomed at first in a similar way, very tiny petals. As the blooms aged, though, they got bigger, and eventually those blooms looked more normal, and the new blooms came up normal as well. Maybe yours is behaving the same way? Are the flowers very new, or several days old?

o

Thanks for posting your pic---I honestly have never seen anything like that. I've been a member of GW for years and still love how I learn new things every day! :)

o

The flowers were about a week old when I took the pic. It was the first time that plant had flowered though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here