Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kal2002

How to get yellow flowers?

kal2002
13 years ago

My Sunkissed Rose bloomed white and pink and no yellow. I am wondering if I root the leaves and grow the babies plants, will I get some yellow flowers? Has anyone tried it? Thanks.

Comments (33)

• larry_b
    13 years ago

Is Sunkissed Rose supposed to have yellow in it? If it is, you are out of luck. Yellow is a very unstable color in African violets. Sometimes yellow violets will revert to one of their parents that don't have yellow. Rooting leaves will not bring that yellow back, because the genetic material is lost. Sorry.

Larry

• kal2002
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info. Does that mean if I bloom it again, it still won't show the yellow color? I guess I should have bought a plant with a flower.

• larry_b
    13 years ago

Not necessarily. I have an old plant called Alamo Sunrise that is supposed to be white with some yellow. I have had it bloom white with pink sometimes. Occasionally I get a white and yellow flower. I really don't like the way the blooms behave and could never sell it or even give it away as Alamo Sunrise, but I keep it because the leaf variegation is outrageous.

I hope this helps.

Larry

• pattykay_gw
    13 years ago

I don't have Sun Kissed Rose, but I have Warm Sunshine that is supposed to be yellow. I have found that it likes cooler conditions. So I put it on a lower shelf on my light stand. It also prefers natural light. I have a back bedroom that is cooler and a desk in front of an east facing window. That is where I get the best yellow on my Warm Sunshine. Hope that helps.

• kal2002
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, you guys helped a lot. I will keep blooming it and see if I will get some yellow flowers eventually. I will also try growing it cooler. Thanks.

• lilypad22
    13 years ago

At the AVSA convention, Rob's had one on display and it was just gorgeous! Beautiful yellow and pink blend. I would have bought a plant if there were any left..even the display plant had been sold to be picked up after the convention end. Maybe you could email the Violet Barn and ask if they have any into about growing it.

Post back later about how other bloomings of Sunkissed Rose come out. I was thinking of adding that to my collection, but I figure I'll have to wait until he has more available for sale....I'm sure they sold out.

And thanks for the info on Warm Sunshine. I have that as a small plant almost ready to be getting buds to bloom for the first time. It is currently under lights, I think I'll move it to the window shelf and see how it does for me there. I have several plants that do really well with window light.

tish

• kal2002
    Original Author
    13 years ago

When I bought the Sunkissed Rose, it had flower buds but had not bloomed yet. I think from now on if I want to be sure that it is going to bloom a certain color, I should buy it when it is in bloom. When Sunkissed Rose blooms again, I will post a follow up. Maybe I will be surprised with a yellowish flower.

• User
    13 years ago

Hi kal2002, is this the 1 st bloom for this plant? Yellows like cooler growing conditions and slightly less light. As they mature the yellow becomes more intense. SunKissed Rose is a white/yellow with pink in the center of the flower.

Dave

• kal2002
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Dave,

Yes, it was the first bloom. I am growing it cooler. I will also try less light. Thanks. I will post a follow up when it blooms again.

• juliebees2009
    13 years ago

hi kal 2002

i also tried the sunkissed rose and its yet to bloom and its been 3 years and i have tried everything and im not a newbie at av's but this one has me stumped.
    oh its a beautiful plant just dont know whyshe dont bloom hum maybe its a he lol. ( I call all my violets and strepts girls )

if i ever get a yellow bloom i will send you a few leaves but so far its being a pain.

• kal2002
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi juliebees2009, sorry to hear that yours did not even bloom. Did you try to root its leaves and grow out the babies? Maybe that will give you a flower or two. Mine is starting to bloom its second cycle. One flower is open with just a tint of yellow on the tips of 2 of its petals. I am waiting to see the rest of the blooms. I will keep you guys posted.

• eeeoeleven
    13 years ago

I have a Sunkissed Rose plant, and it's just now starting to bloom after having it for 2 years. Granted, I've had it since it was a small starter plant from Rob's. I posted a picture of it in a previous thread yesterday, but I'll post it again in here:

{{gwi:365404}}

It has even more yellow and pink in it today.

I think the trick was, for my plant anyway, was LIGHT, and LOTS OF IT! I use lights and have the blinds cracked open for at least 10 hours every day. Also, since the foliage is a bit lighter green, that generally indicates that it will use more light to bloom. I use Oyama planters too, if that has anything to do with it.

Good luck!

• kal2002
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The flower on my plant does not even look like the one in the picture above. It has a lot more pink and blue spots. I wonder where the blue came from?

• eeeoeleven
    13 years ago

Sounds like "Summer Carnival". Was it labeled "Sunkissed Rose"?

• kal2002
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, it is labeled "Sunkissed Rose". Sometimes these hybrids don't bloom true. I had a few Summer Carnival plants from rooting a leaf. Two of them bloomed normal - yellow, pink and I think blue spots. One bloomed different. It was only blue and yellow, no pink. Unfortunately, it died. I may root another leaf and see what I will get next time. It is pretty interesting.

• kal2002
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My Sunkissed Rose bloomed with multiple flowers in its second blooming cycle. They all started out with yellowish buds. After they bloom, the only yellowish parts I see is at the tips of the top 2 petals. So very disappointing....

• steverd
    13 years ago

If you want a great yellow African violet, search for 'Alchemy Gold'
    It's an amazing yellow violet.

Steve Reed

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:365401}}

• SandySue24
    9 years ago

I'm new to this forum but have been growing avs for years. They seem to luv me as much as I luv them. I've been looking for a yellow violet but can't find one. Can anyone maybe send me a leaf from this Sun Kissed Rose I keep hearing about? I'd be willing to pay for it. I'd like to see if I can get a yellow flower off of it. I'd also like to try making my own hybrids, too. You all have great advise.

• aegis1000
    9 years ago

Sandy Sue ...

Repost your request as a new post so more people will see it.

I've had Sun Kissed Rose ... and it will bloom a pale yellow (intermixed with white and pale pink) on occasion.

Also, it is a very vigorous plant ... quick to establish from a leaf ... and with lighter green wavy leaves,

• SandySue24
    9 years ago

I'm new to this forum but not to African Violets. I've always had them all around me but when we moved north I had to leave them behind with neighbors. Lucky neighbors.
    I've been hearing about this Sun Kissed Rose having yellow blooms occasionally and have been looking for a yellow AV with no luck. Does anyone have a leaf or seeds I can try? I'm not having much luck finding them for sale on the web. I'd like to try to hybridize one to get more yellow to show if I can.

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Hi Sue
    There was a discussion about Sun Kissed Rose on this Forum a while back, along with other yellow flowers. Seems that Sunkissed rose does not always bloom true. A friend of mine has one, it was mostly white when I saw it. She said sometimes it blooms with an ivory center or light pink.

It used to be offered for sale by Lyndon Lyon Greenhouse, who first developed it. But they don't have it listed now.
    They might in the future.

It is unlikely anyone on this forum would have seeds for a yellow flower. The seed packets you can buy from Park's are an unnamed assortment of standard colors of purples, light blues and pinks.

Perhaps this helps. Joanne

• aegis1000
    9 years ago

Keep looking on the web.

Someone will offer it again at some point in the future.

Supposedly, a Russian grower has developed a nice yellow from Sun Kissed Rose.

• aegis1000
    9 years ago

Sunkissed Rose and Russion sport ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Russian page

• Karin
    9 years ago

I was reading a blog where someone attempted to hybridize for more yellow (I forget which plants she used for "parents") but many of the offspring turned out deformed, indicating that the yellow in the seed parents' petals originated from some kind of mutation that merged pollen sac into petal....

Karin

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

They look like lots of fun but until Lyon's offers them or I learn to speak Russian, whichever comes first, I'll have to settle for anemic yellow, AKA ivory.

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

i can translate from time to time ;).
    the one on the right is called 'sponge bob' of all things!

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Goofy Russian sense of humor! How many rubles do they charge for shipping? I will wager a guess that sooner or later, Lyndon Lyon's will offer it if it is a strong grower and true to color. I have one or two that are supposed to be yellow that are actually white. Still pretty.
    Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 2:54

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

this particular russian site does not ship out of the country: russia only. they do have a shop in moscow, in case you're visiting :). and they do have american varieties: so they obviously imported them.
    i would think that ordering a russian variety unavailable in US would be easier thru EU countries, like poland/lithuania, which have trade/exchange ties to russia and know US customs regulations.

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Some people buy their Russians on EBay. (Not me, but others who used to post on this forum said it was pretty safe, they get to know who the growers are.) A search could be done through the archives on this Forum to find the information, or just browse EBay.

Several years ago, the Lyon's company made an arrangement with Russian growers to exchange plant material so that each could grow the other's plants in their own country and adapt to their own growing conditions rather than ordering from the company or shipping back and forth. When the Lyon's group first went to Russia, the people there were thrilled. Now that the market has been opened, I believe the Violet Barn group also went and the Storks. So the market is truly open,
    by the way, these are just names of other hybridizers. Not trying to be mysterious.

The Russian plants can get very large, they like to spread out, so I have just a few. However, looks like with your greenhouse, you might have the space for a couple of Russians. Joanne

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

P.S. Scrolling through old archives on this forum, you can also find at least one person who was offering her plants directly. I think she posted her information, her name is Polina.

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

oh, i am not shopping ...yet, but i spend a good amt of time just browsing all over for fun.
    i can look at plants and read about them and talk about them tirelessly!

• juliaw1955
    9 years ago

it seems that there are a couple new violets that are running true to yellow color. The hybrid called Mellow Yellow, LLG, Small, pale yellow, double stars with an abundance of dark yellow streaking in the center. The flowers have a fringed edge. The standard foliage is medium green and serrated. This variety is a good bloomer, and Moon Gold, (H. Pittman) Double gold ruffled. Variegated, wavy. Semiminiature which is very yellow also. The Sunkissed Rose that I've seen everywhere is advertised as having only streaks of yellow running through it. The Russian violet called RS-Lunnyi Svet is also quiet yellow in color. You might try those three varieties. I've been doing research on yellow violets also and have purchased all three of them.

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Lovely, thanks for posting.