Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christine1950_gw

Survey Says?

christine1950
9 years ago

I was told to water from the bottom for best results. How many of you water from the bottom or top and why you think your way is the best way. Thanks for your input. I am very new to AV's....
Christine

Comments (9)

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

I'm a top waterer. I like to make sure that I flush the soil with every watering.

Planto

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Christine,

Whatever works for you is best. The reasons people water as they do has to do with many things: number of plants, set-up for growing, time that can be spent on watering. Don't stress. There is no 'best'.

Linda

• christine1950
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you both for your responses. Planto your way makes very good sense, so maybe I will try doing the top watering once in a while to flush the soil, all my other plants have always been top watered for that very reason.
    Christine

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Christine,
    I agree with Linda, no way is "better," although some may say you should/shouldn't do one or the other... as she said, in the end it's up to you. I'm happy to hear that I gave you an idea though. :)

Planto

• Karin
    9 years ago

I have mine on mats for humidity, top water regularly, and bottom water (submerge pot in water) every once in a while - whatever my time allows...

Karin

• lauraeli_
    9 years ago

My AVs like it both ways :-) I grow in terracotta so I water mine twice a week or more. Usually I top water, but if they are a bit more dry I set them in a bowl of water. Id say that is a few times a month. Imo it is really important to flush the soil with all plants, and maybe more so with AVs since they tend to stay in the same pot for a LONG time. But I have only been growing them for a little over a year. It is possible to flush the soil without top watering. If you set the pot in water up to the rim until it stops bubbling and then pull it out to drain, you have effectively flushed the soil.

• christine1950
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So interesting how you all water, I will get myself into a routine of top watering to flush the soil and still use the bottom watering as the weekly way. My next step is to remove the extra crowns from one & suckers from the other and pray I dont harm either one in the process :>) Thanks for your input !!!!
    Christine

• Vikki
    9 years ago

I wick water mine, so I guess that means I bottom water. Mainly it's because I have so many and watering is more efficient timewise this way. Also, there's less chance of crown rot with bottom watering.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Most growers who have lots of plants use a wick or a mat, so they are bottom watering. Those with fewer plants usually top water. Really, your plants have no idea where the water is coming from, they just need the water in a timely fashion.

Linda

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES