Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where to buy AV

Posted by linda_6 PA6 (My Page) on
Thu, May 26, 11 at 13:46

I went to Lowes but I didn't see any there. Are they sold at a certain time of year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where to buy AV

It's easiest to find them in early spring and then again in fall, although some Lowe's stores sell them indoors year round. You can order AV plants and leaves online pretty much any time except late fall and winter.

o

Thank you aviolet6. My daughter gave me a gift certificate to Lowes because she knows I go there a lot for flowers. I checked indoors and didnt' see any. I'll keep checking back and if not I may just have to go to a florist to buy one.

o

Linda, stay away from florists. Like aviolet6 says, there are many online nurseries.
If you prefer big box stores like Lowe's, Home Depot usually has violets.. Here they're sold year round.
Since you have a gift card call Lowes weekly to ask if they'll be getting violets in.
Do you have a Jewel's Grocery nearby? They usually have violets in stock.

But if you're looking for a certain type of violet, your beest bet is shopping online.

Violet Barn/Robs Violets
Violet gallery
Lyndon Lyons

I've ordered violets from all three nurseries..'3+ yrs ago.' I believe all three nurseries had nice plants.
Good luck, hope you find a beautiful violet. Toni

o

Online from one of the reputable vendors is your best bet. Lyndon Lyons, The Violet Barn (Rob's Violets) and even eBay. One of my favorite eBay vendors is The Green Mule. He is Fred from Florida, and sells mainly mini and semi-mini AVs.

Box store violets are often riddled with thrips- public enemy number one for AVs.

o

I agree with growhappy.

Mail-order is your best bet for healthy pest-free violets.

I'd recommend Lydon Lyons for the largest plants.

o

Thank you all for the comments. I think I will definitely go online instead of Lowes.

o

good luck! you will want to buy tons once you see the pictures!!!

o

Another solution is to look around your area to see if there are any clubs that are having a show or sale. You can check on the AVSA site to find clubs in your area then contact them to find out if they are having a show and sale sometime soon. Or you can check the vendor section of the AVSA site.
Fred in NJ

Here is a link that might be useful: African Violet Society of America

o

Another solution is to look around your area to see if there are any clubs that are having a show or sale. You can check on the AVSA site to find clubs in your area then contact them to find out if they are having a show and sale sometime soon. Or you can check the vendor section of the AVSA site.
Fred in NJ

Here is a link that might be useful: African Violet Society of America

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here