Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Don't do this

Posted by lucille Houston (My Page) on
Sun, May 10, 09 at 14:45

I am a bit stressed out, my house flooded recently, I'm between jobs, and I'm trying to paint and prettify my home.
I had to get as much furniture and stuff out of the house into the garage as possible so I could dry out the flooded rooms, and having put the AVs back on their shelf (I had been alternating between shelf and window) I rolled the shelf into the garage where it sat there for a week. The AVs were looking sad.
So I contacted a local AVSA person and offered my entire collection to anyone who might want it, along with the shelf and etc.
She got in touch with a local club, which emailed me and essentially said thanks but no thanks.
So I hauled the shelf back into the kitchen because I can't stand to see things dying of neglect, groomed and watered the poor guys and then decided to keep them. A couple of them are actually bloomimg and providing a cheery note as I try to recover from the flood. And in fact, I think I'll get a few more streptocarpus.
I'm glad it turned out the way it did.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Don't do this

You are all survivours,enjoy

o

I'm sorry to hear you have had these challenges, and glad to hear you have overcome them. It's almost as though your violets could sense your frustration, and rewarded you with blooms.

We had an ice storm in Maine back in December, and lost power for 30 hours. Some lost it for 5 days! With no power, the temps inside got to 50 before I ran the generator, and with space heaters I was able to keep my plants safe.

I glad you had second thoughts.

Barbara

o

Sometimes things happen the way they do for a reason! I know that if I am down, nothing cheers me like caring for all my plants and animals. Hope things are on the upswing for you!

o

O my goodness, what a story. And btw, what do you mean, a LITTLE stressed out??

All the best with your house, and the AVs!

Regards,
Milli

o

We are putting in the floors now. I'm an epic failure in trying to create a light airy decorator feel to my home because it is so tiny, and the basic living room furniture plus the wire shelf I have for the violets is just too much stuff.

So I did the only sensible thing: I'm....... adding another AV shelf!!!! lol, an additional compact 4 shelf light cart (my first cart, I found it on Ebay). With the wire shelf, the tiny room will not be one of those show off decorator rooms, but it will be...me!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here