Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tally_gw

Ebay sellers from Poland?

Tally
9 years ago

Does anyone have any experience with ebay sellers shipping from Poland. There are a number of Russian variety violets I'm interested in and can't seem to find them in the States.

Comments (13)

• Vikki
    9 years ago

Sorry, I haven't tried them yet, but I have considered it. I too am very interested in what others here have to say. I am also wondering how long it took to get them, their condition and was the order for leaves or plants?

• 1212dusti
    9 years ago

I recently ordered a beautiful violet from Poland, it arrived a couple of weeks ago, and is sitting in a 2 1/2 inch pot in the kitchen window. The plant was a plug, and being new to plugs, was a little worried. It's growing very well now, thank goodness. I'd recommend buying from a vendor who has lots of good ratings. It's more expensive, but the violets are amazing. In fact, 2 more Polish violets are on the way. These will all grow in the kitchen window, so I can enjoy their beauty. I have around 25 violets and the Polish are the prettiest by far.

• Ninkasi
    9 years ago

If anyone has some recommendations of good AV sellers in Poland I would be very appreciative. I am looking to get my AV collection started again and am having no luck finding the varieties I am looking for around here (middle of nowhere, Germany).

Thanks in advance!

• User
    9 years ago

Just noticed this in the frequent posts list....and am amazed and horrified.- surely this international trade in un-passported plabnts is not just illegal but massively irresponsible, given the possibility of inviting unwelcome flora and fauna into your country. Yes, I know this sort of thing foes on all the time but still no excuse for immense selfishness - if you are truly desperate - then grow from seeds - after all, simply buying in plants is hardly 'gardening' and rather more comes under the rubric of shopping!

• Vikki
    9 years ago

There are sellers who are licensed to sell between countries. They are regularly inspected by the government for anything that could potentially be harmful to the destination country.

• Ninkasi
    9 years ago

No one said anything about un-passported plants.

• Karin
    9 years ago

See, that's why I don't import plants - because I am too cheap to pay for certificates :-p
    Nothing wrong with ogling them though...

I believe the initial question was about reputable sellers, not fly-by-nighters.

• Aggie2
    9 years ago

Campanula,

Importing plants is regulated, and in many countries perfectly legal. You pay for health certificate, and you get rare or impossible to get in your country plants.
    And simply buying plants to grow IS gardening! I'm happy that you can grow all your plants from seeds, but many of us don't do it (including myself). It's worth mentioning that a lot of plants do not produce seeds in culture, and harvesting rare plant seeds in the wild is illegal.....

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Campanula of the UK,

The violets that people are referring to are the "Russian/Ukraine" varieties. These do not come true from seed as they are hybrids.

There are many sellers who sell legally-with phyto certificates, inspections, etc., including Britain's own David Austin and Blooms of Bressingham. How do you think they have spread their product worldwide?

Linda

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Tally,
    Although your question was about EBay sellers, may I suggest you contact the Storks? They and Paul Sorano of Lyndon Lyon and even the Robinsons of Violet Barn have
    all made trips to Russia and helped open the market. The main person in Russia who opened the market also comes here a lot. Mr Kalgin, I believe is the name. Or perhaps contact the AVSA directly for suggestions.
    Joanne

• xmahini
    8 years ago

My husband just ordered 4 violet plants from Poland. Our first time ordering violets internationally. Will post about the plant conditions when they arrive.

• irina_co
    8 years ago

It is way too late in a season. You can have cold damage. My violet buddy got a box from Poland 2 weeks ago - I think he was able to save everything - but not without efforts. He got good sturdy starters from his seller.

• bragu_DSM 5
    8 years ago

I have had two batches from there in the last several months. One took a very long time to get here and everything was mush and snotty. The subsequent one came in less than 2 weeks and everything was good. It is too late now in the year, however, as Irina said, to order leaves.

dave

Sponsored