Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newbienew

AV roots growing out of drainage holes

newbienew
13 years ago

This is probably a non-question, but one of my AVs has roots slowly growing out of the drainage holes.

Good, bad or neither?

My, those AV roots are such slender delicate things.

Comments (9)

• nwgatreasures
    13 years ago

They aren't hurting anything but they could be a sign that it's time to repot.

Dora

• fred_hill
    13 years ago

Hi Newbie,
    It is definately time to repot. Make sure the pot you choose is about 1/3 the size of the crown of the plant.
    Fred in NJ

• newbienew
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, I have to ask... why is it necessary to re-pot it? The pot it's in is already 1/3 the size of the crown of the plant.

• irina_co
    13 years ago

N. -

then do not repot. ;-))

You need to repot somewhere between 6 months to a year - otherwise the soil turns sour.

Usually if it is a young plant - the roots showing - for me time to repot to a bigger pot. Mature plant - time is coming to repot may be to the same size pot with trimming the bottom of the root ball so I can put the layer of fresh soil on a bottom.

• m3rma1d
    13 years ago

Repotting doesn't mean you have to use a bigger pot. Just use the same size it's in, but change the soil and chop off the extra-long roots.

• nwgatreasures
    13 years ago

newbie,
    that actually is a valid and important question (IMO) and I would reply that the soiless mix that violets are planted in will lose it's ability to transfer or use the nutrients within a few months.
    Semi and mini need to be repotted every 4-6 months - not necessarily for the "pot size" but for the replacement of the soiless mix and health of hte plant.

If the roots are growing out of the bottom of the pot, that's an indication that the root system has outgrown the current pot and growing conditions. Pull the plant up out of the pot, chop them off, massage the root ball (perhaps remove some of it) and then repot it right back into that save pot or one of similar size.

It's like getting a hair cut....same head, just a more healthy and well cared for appearance :)

Dora

• nwgatreasures
    13 years ago

My apologies to everyone. You all deserve a post with words spelled correctly.
    I've got to slow down a bit and proof before I publish.

Ack!
    Dora

• newbienew
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Dora and m3rma1d, I suspected that "new soil" would be the reason.

• irina_co
    13 years ago

Dora -

do not apologize. I had an H-surgery 4 years ago - and since then my perfect spelling went to pot. I transpose letters in words. Since I cannot do anything about it - I fish out as many typos as I can - and forgive myself for the rest.

We all enjoy your support and knowledge and kindness - who cares if there is a typo every so often.

Cheers

Irina