Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woollady

plants blooming,super long necks...

woollady
14 years ago

hi all, i was given 2 babies in 2" pots that have been blooming like crazy since october.the neck are now really long and the many leaves are hanging over the pot.when should i repot,also should i go larger pot,i hate to lose the blooms,but the plants don't look like stopping soon.thanks for any help you can give me.

Comments (8)

• packinblack
    14 years ago

2" sounds tiny! I would put it in a bigger pot, it won't take too long for it to fill up the pot & start making flowers again.

I actually have one in a 6" pot, I stuck it in there as a tiny baby, and kinda forgot about it, LOL....it grew as big as the pot and now has lots of flowers growing in the center! My experience has been that they're like goldfish, they'll get as big as whatever you put them in, LOL. :)

J

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

I respectfully disagree with packinblack's comment that it will get as big as whatever you put them in.

The general rule of thumb when planting and choosing pot size for African Violets is that the pot should be 1/3 the width of the plant diameter.

If you have a standard, then it will eventually go into a larger plant and require a larger pot. If you are dealing with minis and semi minis, they probably will not ever need to go larger than a 2" or 3" pot because those plants don't get as large as standards.

There is a fabulous visual aid found in our FAQs that can show you how to trim a "neck" down and repot so your plant will be healthier and happier. When your plant is healthy/happy - you will get more pleasure from the plant(s).

Dora

• woollady
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hi,thank you both for your replies.
    packing-its funny you said that about your violet,the parent plant for my 2 ,my brother stuck in a 6"pot and it is huge and blooming great!
    treasures-thank you for your help too,but where is the visual aid in the FAQs,i found the info but no visual.thanks again to both

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

Here ya go on the visual lessons....

Here is a link that might be useful: How To Lessons for violets

• woollady
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hi,thank you treasures for the link to how to deal with the necks,i'll be sure to follow the directions.thanks again.

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

woollady,
    I remember the first time I saw a plant chopped and cut down, I nearly fainted!
    When I understood why and how it really benefitted the plant - I was more tolerant.

Now - they call me chopper at our meetings and if someone on squeamish on cutting a plant down, they say, "Just get Dora to do it, she loves to chop." LOL

The first time will be uncomfortable, but you'll get the hang of it and your plants will benefit. Remember, if you remove more than half of the roots (if you cut off the neck all the way, that's 100% of the roots) then you'll need to 'bag it' for about a month until you see five or 6 new leaves coming from the crown.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.
    dora

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

Hi,
    I have a visual for you if you would like to see what you can do to an AV and have it survive.
    Fred in NJ

Here is a link that might be useful: Operation Ness' Orange Pekoe

• woollady
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thank you treasures for replying ,i bit the bullet this morning and had to take all the roots off.i put it back in its original pot in a plastic bag as suggested.i'll have to be more observant so this doesn't happen again.thank you also fred for your reply.how will i know when it sould be watered,do i take it out of the bag and how often?thanks again for all help