Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Your opinion on this AV light

Posted by lindamferguson OK (My Page) on
Thu, May 14, 09 at 15:30

Well, I asked Barbara her opinion on this plant/AV light, I pasted it below:

"I looked at this, and I'm not sure it provides enough light. It is also only 6x7 on the base, so it really won't accommodate a very large plant. Why don't you post it on garden web and see what others have to say?"

http://www.buyplantlights.com/intelligent_plant_light.php

So I'm posting it to get other's opinions as she suggested. The only East window I have is in a bathroom which would defeat the purpose of showing off an AV to begin with. I had it in our South window and it wasn't doing well there because we are on our 21st day of rain, storms and cloudy weather. And I'm not sure it was getting adequate light there to begin with because we have a wrap around porch.

Any suggestions? I only have the 1 AV.

Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Your opinion on this AV light

I have this plant light and I used to have it on my desk at work. It only holds one standard size plant. It was great for the office since the timer turns the light on and off automatically - so no worries about it being in the dark all weekend. It is also attractive for an office setting. The only downside is that the replacement lamps are quite expensive, but they last a long time.

o

Did you have an AV in it? Did the lighting seem sufficient for the AV and was the base large enough for a large AV?

Linda

o

Yes, the plant did great in it. The plant I had growing in it was a standard size african violet in a 4" plastic pot (the "squatty" or "azalea" style plastic pot). The only thing I did different was I had the light timer thing always on "summer" mode, because the "winter" mode was not enough light hours. For some unknown reason, the manufacturer has the light timer as a seasonal thing, and it does automatically change itself as the weeks go by. Other than that minor complaint, it was a great product.

o

I also use this light to grow a violet successfully. Dragonfly2008 pointed out the automatic changing of seasons the light does. You can change it to single-season mode by holding the season change button in for a few seconds.

o

Thanks guys for the advice! I really didn't want to invest in a larger lighting unit since I only have one AV!

Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here