Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
African Violet getting leggy

Posted by gardann California (My Page) on
Fri, May 19, 06 at 15:59

I have a great spot for violets. They do extremely well with little effort. I have constant blooms. I have one that is very old and doing well, but it seems to be getting leggy. The plant is growing tall almost like a little tree with leaves all the way down. It blooms regularly.

Is this something that is a problem?

I have not replanted it in years. Could it be root bound?

Of all my violets, this one used to belong to my grandmother so I am extra careful with it.

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks!

Ann

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: African Violet getting leggy

African violets need to be repotted about twice a year; if not they grow a long tree-like trunk.

Leaves that are reaching are probably needing more light. Provide more light for better results.

Nancy

o

• Posted by korina 9b, Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Fri, May 19, 06 at 18:52

Ann, check the link below; Rachel's site has lots of cultural info, including pics. You have what's popularly known as a 'turkey neck'. Your plant, that is. ;-) It happens to all violets when the old leaves die and are pulled off, and is relatively easy to deal with, with a little care.

Good luck and welcome.

Korina

Here is a link that might be useful: Rachel's Reflections

o

This is just the nature of the beast! With advanced age, this happens almost inevitably. Don't be afraid to perform the surgery as suggested in Rachel's Reflections, but go one step farther and save the original plant stub, because it might produce some offsets that you can grow or give to friends. Some of my plants have produced 10 or more additional plants this way. Also, save some of the leaves that you took off when you performed this procedure, to double the chances that you will succeed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here