Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you help me ID this variety?

Posted by vilvere (My Page) on
Sun, May 24, 09 at 16:14

Hi everyone! I'm a long-time lurker, first-time poster. I have been growing african violets for a few years now and I have one standard that I do not know what kind it is. It was my first AV...and yes, it's the one that started it all! The problem is, it was given to me by a friend that had nearly killed it and she wanted to see if I could nurse it back to health. Since it was given to me, I have absolutely no idea what variety it is. It's quite possible that it is a noid, but the flowers on it are so unlike anything else I've seen that I suspect it is a named variety. Anyway, here are a few pictures:

You expertise and help is very much appreciated!
Christine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you help me ID this variety?

It's a very lovely noID :-)

o

Could it be Harlequin?

o

HI.
There are five av's in FC2 that have Harlequin in their name. None of them match the photo.
However, take a look at this and see what you think.
Melodie Kimi (8100) 09/15/1994 (Sunnyside/Levy) Single white sticktite pansy/purple-blue top petals, tips. Medium green, plain, quilted, wavy. Standard
Fred in NJ

Here is a link that might be useful: AVSA Photo Library

o

Hi Fred,

This is vilvere, just decided to change my username :P

Wow, you have a really good eye! I think that may be what I have. Judging from the different images I pulled up on different sites it can have a fairly variable appearance but mine definitely matches that description and looks a lot like many of the photos.

Thanks for looking, I really appreciate it. I think it may be time for me to finally bite the bullet and buy myself a copy of FC2!

Christine

o

It looks a IDENTICAL to a Noid I own that I bought at Lowes. I mean this picture can easily be a picture of my plant! It had an Anthoflores tag. But the Harster's site doesn't have information on the varieties anymore.
I also own Melodie Kimi and although it resembles each other, Melodie Kimi is a more bluish color.

Violet :)
(a registered lurker that rarely posts)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here