Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting babies to produce color

Posted by greybird_keke (My Page) on
Fri, May 3, 13 at 16:44

I have some babies that are almost ready to pot up, but do they have enough color to survive? How can I get them to "green up" a little?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting babies to produce color

Patience! Do not repot them until they have plenty of green. Do some watering with a fish emulsion and make sure that they are in a warm spot - low temperature increases whiteness.

I.

o

They don't look big enough (to me) for separating yet. I have used epsom salts in the water to green up some of mine. I haven't tried fish emulsion, but it may work better.

o

Thank you both, hopefully by the time they are big enough to separate, they will have greened up some. I did get some fish emulsion, so I'll give it a try.....

o

Both approaches should work - nitrogen in fish emulsion stimulates the greening - and magnesium in Epsom salt helps to build chlorophyll.

o

I watered with the fish emulsion, and the babies seemed to both grow and green up. Went ahead and separated them, there were five plants total. All but one seems to have enough green, so I'll have to see how that one does. But so far, all look good.

o

Looks like it worked really well. I hope they grow nicely for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here