Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
froeschli

Raising a (mini) trailer...

Karin
9 years ago

It has been a few weeks now since I separated the crowns on my pixie runaround sport. They have all rooted fine and are doing well. One of them is already suckering like crazy.
So, question, what do you guys do to keep them manageable?
Or do you just let them grow as they will?

(2oz cup and 5 suckers/crowns already!!!)

Comments (11)

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Is that not how it trails? By sending out multiple crowns?
    I thought on a trailer, multiple suckers were the goal.
    I've seen or read on a Joyce Stork video, that some trailers grow like a snowball. It was one of the later episodes of All About African Violets about judging.
    For myself, I leave trailers in baskets on doorways with an "Adopt Me, please" sign and run the other way! I've read two contradictory things. Per Irina, the more suckers you remove, the more it will make. With other plants, that have fewer trailer tendencies, the opposite is more likely. The more often you remove suckers, the less likely it is that it will grow new ones.
    The one trailer true trailer I had sent out shoots with crowns, like a spider plant. It may have been a hybrid with another species. Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Tue, May 27, 14 at 19:33

• Karin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

When I got this one, in its original form, it was a pure fuzz ball. I was hoping to keep it down to a 'few' manageable crowns.
    However, everything I find on trailers presumes they grow leggier than this one.
    Maybe I'll just pluck out one here and there an try to keep it sort of symmetrical looking...

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    9 years ago

I let my trailers go nuts. If I start a new one from leaf cuttings I'll take several leaves and put them into a container and let them go wild!

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Hi Karin,
    Plucking out one here and there sounds like a plan! Perhaps it would help to know what the growth pattern is supposed to be ... leggy and loose ... or tight and compact. Perhaps the crowns might loosen up. Keeping it shaped sounds like what I would be inclined to do.

Would like to see a photo of Tommy R's trailer, if you have one that is ready to be photographed.

There is a photo of the trailer Cirelda on the cover of the July 2011 AVSA magazine. Joanne

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    9 years ago

I'll take a few pics and try to post one later.

• quimoi
    9 years ago

Pixie Runaround Sport is a variegated mini chimera trailer so it's not going to come true from a leaf. I got it from Violet Barn and had to divide it because there were two small plants (not two crowns). Mine's losing its variegation too.

Diana

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    9 years ago

Here's my "Fancy Trail".

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    9 years ago

And a "Stickey Wicket"

• Karin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

i got mine at the avsc convention and separated 5 crowns into as many plants (i was under the illusion they may be more manageable if i "groom" them from the start).

the little ones are actually starting to show variegation in their new leaves - i assume the freezing temperatures DH keeps the house at are good for that at least...

i am kicking myself for not at least waiting for it to bloom once though - now it will be a while for sure.....

Karin

• quimoi
    9 years ago

I wasn't too keen on performing microsurgery on it, but I figured it wasn't going to get any better. Mine hasn't tried to bloom either.

Diana

• Karin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry tommy - didn't notice those photos before!
    Nice!
    Now I have trailer envy ;-p

Karin