Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
faintlymacabre

Garnet Elf - Linda, Did You Get It?

quimoi
9 years ago

I saw it on Ebay but didn't like to draw attention to it, although I guess it got enough attention!

I hope you got it. I sure hate to see varieties disappear.

Diana

Comments (18)

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Photo removed.

This post was edited by fortyseven on Sun, May 18, 14 at 0:24

• lucky123
    9 years ago

Is that unidentified plant Garnet Elf?

A Question
    What if a person did find a specific plant, for instance, Garnet Elf that was "unidentified." Is there any way to get an "official" confirmation of the identification of a "noid?"

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

No, I didn't get it. :( It got a bit too rich for my taste. I'm hoping the winner will eventually put it on E Bay. I can't imagine paying that much just for hobby growing.

I had done a search and found the seller sold one last year. I e-mailed her and she told me that was her last one. So, keep looking for me, everyone!

Lucky,
    No and no, although DNA research has begun on plant IDing but, as far as I know, it is just for genus and species, not for specific cultivars.

Linda

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

No, I was testing how to post a photo. It landed on this thread because it would not go through on a longer thread.
    As for Garnet Elf, how much did it sell for? I wonder if it was from the same person who sold one for $41 last November? J

This post was edited by fortyseven on Fri, May 16, 14 at 5:36

• terrilou
    9 years ago

I don't think I would pay too much for a plant that doesn't show a flower. Several years back I picked up a leaf of Garnet Elf from some vendor. . . don't remember who, just wasn't Ebay. When the plant bloomed, it was nowhere near the flower that I grew when it first came out. Perhaps the plant had mutated over the years; I would like to think the original is still out in violet land.

Terri

• lucky123
    9 years ago

Linda

With those kind of dollar signs, someone is going to start growing that plant.

I expect some petri dish propagator to get a plant and make a million, copies that is, not or maybe, incidentally, dollars.

I would buy one if it were reasonable. I like those big leafy plants.

But the first one anyone finds goes to Linda!

Still looking

• quimoi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm sorry you didn't get it, but that was a lot.

I wondered if her Evensong was a different strain than mine, but didn't want to go into it. I had one ordered from Violet Gallery. You never know if it's the same strain though.

Diana

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Found a photo of it on the AVSA website.
    And a link. PFC-connection EBSCOhost.com
    Article How to be an African Violet Sleuth
    This had an article on preserving GE. However,
    It is several years old, j

This post was edited by fortyseven on Fri, May 16, 14 at 14:26

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Joanne,
    Garnet Elf went for $72.79. Madness???

I agree; lots of cash for a bloomless plant. Or any plant.

How about a reward for the one who finds this plant for me? (And I manage to get it.) Ten leaves from my collection of your choice. Sound good? ;)

Linda

P.S. We can add 'Dainty Doll' to this, as well!

• quimoi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If anyone spots Glitterstar or Glittersweet, please let me know. I am not offering anything exciting. I don't think I have anything exciting to offer :).

Maybe I would have leaves or baby plants, I guess. Sadly, I don't think it will happen. They were both around within the last ten years.

Diana

• Karin
    9 years ago

Wow, someone must have wanted it badly! But then, if you can sell its offspring for half, even, it could be a nice little investment :-p

• Vikki
    9 years ago

So you're also looking for Dainty Doll?

• Vikki
    9 years ago

I've learned that there are 2 Garnet Elf AV's. One is the old, original one and there is also a newer imposter out there. I have a picture of one in the link below. Let me know if this is what you're looking for. I think I might have a line on one if I can convince her to part with a leaf or 2.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:365805}}

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Vivey,

That's the one!!! You'll be my new best friend if you can help me get one!

I also would be willing to trade leaves to them, or you, or everybody on here. I know...it's a sickness...

And, yes, I am looking for 'Dainty Doll' as well. It's an old Fredette and I would like to try and help keep the oldies around.

Linda

• Vikki
    9 years ago

I'm trying to see if she'll part with some leaves or a baby. I'll let you know what I find out.

I just sent you an email to your gmail account you have on file here.

This post was edited by vivey on Mon, May 19, 14 at 8:58

• User
    9 years ago

sorry for bumping this post,

@ whitelacey

I've also seen an individual with a list on several sites (including this one) ranging from 3-1 years searching for Vintage/Eyerdom and has noted that they have Garnet Elf as a plant or leaf: Nashuan or (blackie2600@AOL.com) *posted previously on forums

Have you tried contacting Nashuan more recently or through e-mail?

Probably just hopeful thinking on my part, but I would really like seeing you get your hands on a Garnet Elf.

In the mean time, I'll keep my eyes peeled for anything online that is reasonable.

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

I contacted N some months ago about granger in general and was advised to wait until Sept. it is wort a try

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Anon,

This is the first I have heard of this. I just sent an e-mail so we will see what happens. Thanks everyone for helping me hunt this one down! :)

Linda