Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nwgatreasures

davs show in chattanooga, tn

nwgatreasures
14 years ago

Anyone here planning to attend and/or participate in this event?

If so, what day are you planning on being there.

Dora

Comments (11)

• nwgatreasures
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm replying to this so it will move on down in the list.

Dora

• bspofford
    14 years ago

Dora,

I'll be there in spirit. When you get that warm and fuzzy feeling, that's me. lol

Enjoy the show.

Barbara

• m3rma1d
    14 years ago

And when you get a headache & feel really annoyed, that's prolly me :-D

• nwgatreasures
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well Barbara - it was SO NICE to have you there with me today. Mermaid - I missed you :/

Cape Cod violetry, MrsStreps, and some others were there and I brought home about 40 leaves (2 packs of 10 and then there were several of us who shared and got 2 leaves of about 4 to 6 plants)

I got some other things but the names escape me and I'm not getting up to look on the labels.
    I loved meeting the pres. of the chattanooga group and the other people/vendors face to face. I met the lady who hybridizes the buckeyes and we talked about my NOID that I love so much. Pat Randolf???(I think) was her name. I picked up 2 of the tall domes and a few other plants that really stole my heart :)

I loved it so much, that I'm taking my 4 yo daughter back with me in the morning so she can see and marvel too. She has really grown to love and care for these plants and is quite capable of doing them right. Her small hands are so tender when she waters and she even potted one a few weeks ago. I'm going to take her and let her choose one plant that she likes and that will be her plant and all hers alone. She can say she got it from convention.

Oh - one of the ones I got today is Frozen In Time......I know I said no more standards but....well, you know how it is ;)

I'll take the camera tomorrow and share some pictures.

Take care everyone,
    Dora

• m3rma1d
    14 years ago

You met Pat Hancock--She is a very lovely woman isn't she? :-)

• nwgatreasures
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes! Pat is extremely nice and generous.
    She was kind enough to talk with me about that NOID that I have that came from the violet lady last summer and had a sticker on it that just said Astro. I've mentioned it here before and shared pictures.

We are sure that it is a Buckeye and she seems to remember decades ago there being something that looked similar with the name Astro in it but that isn't the full name. She invited the thinking cap of the gentleman from Lyons Greenhouse (I apologize that I can't remember names right now) as well as the guy from Cedar Creek Violets.

I've got pictures.......WOW! YOu are Gonna Love Them.
    Oh - and I bet you aren't surprised to learn that I went back today and not only purchased more plants but leaves as well. LMBO

Dora

• quinnfyre
    14 years ago

I love Frozen in Time. I can totally understand being tempted by that one. It grows really well for me, and has been blooming nonstop for a long time now. And it has been keeping its variegation even when everything else is going all green from whatever makes them do that. (I seem to have that problem here, but oh well.)

What did your daughter end up picking out for herself?

• nwgatreasures
    Original Author
    14 years ago

quinnfyre,
    My daughter was WONDERFUL at the show...she was well mannered and everyone commented. She made conversation with the vendors and they loved her. The guy from Ceder Creek violets actually gave her a plant named Mikinda Girl because she is such a good helper. She tried to explain to him in detail how she pots plants (which she does) and waters each one. She was quite frustrated that he didn't have his in baby food jars with water like ours are and she tried to scold him...we all got a good chuckle out of that.

As far as what she wanted to choose - I must say that she's got the exquisite taste of her mom....we were walking around and she was looking at everything and she waslked up to Lyon's Table and picked out the one with the $30 sticker on it. It is purple on the edge with the green stripe down the middle (can't remember name) and when I tried to tell her that she didn't have that much $, she walked off to another table and then chose for herself - with her own $$$ the Mac's Infra Red.

She kept her hands to herself - which I wasn't sure what to expect and really had to watch her but she wanted to know all the names and then when Cedar Creek picked up an Allegro Cupid Pink - she announced, "We'll take that one. Allegro is music and my daddy is a musician."

My two favorite from both days that I got for myself are Frozen In Time and Reflections of Spring. MMMMmmmm! beauty!

I got another 4 packs of leaves that I'll share with others. They include:
    Powder Keg
    Hawaiian Pearl
    Bud's Melanie
    Island Hideaway

Anyone interested in some of these?
    Dora

• m3rma1d
    14 years ago

"She invited the thinking cap of the gentleman from Lyons Greenhouse (I apologize that I can't remember names right now) as well as the guy from Cedar Creek Violets."

Lyndon Lyons guy = Paul Sorano
    Cedar Creek guy = David Rollins

--m3rma1d
    "name-dropper"
    :-)

• nwgatreasures
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I probably would have been able to remember all those names had I not been preoccupied with making sure that my daughter didn't touch something or get away from me.

I appreciate your name dropping :)
    Dora

• quinnfyre
    14 years ago

What a cutie : ) I'm glad she got a couple of plants of her very own. And I approve of the choices! I almost bought Mikinda Girl myself last yr, and I've eyed Infra Red before too.