Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucky123_gw

What is Wrong with These Leaves?

lucky123
9 years ago

This "blotching" is on older leaves, the entire outer row of a plant. It hasn't shown up on the newer leaves yet.
Can I take one of these to propagate? Should I remove any of them?

Comments (29)

• lucky123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are some more of same row
    Are those normal leaves?

This post was edited by lucky123 on Sun, May 11, 14 at 18:37

• Karin
    9 years ago

Too much sun/light maybe? I had one look similar after I had it on the (south) windowsill for a week.
    The plant looks rather pale, so it would probably need a bit less light than greener varieties...

• lucky123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It may be but I have begonias in the same light and they are thriving.
    Perhaps when the leaves burned, a month ago, there was more light because the tree canopy was lighter.
    Could it be anything else?
    Can I propagate those leaves even though they are slightly damaged (or should I just try it and see)

• Karin
    9 years ago

I always try and see :-)
    What is there to lose?

Karin

• quimoi
    9 years ago

What kind of begonias? I admit I have never grown begonias but I believe they are not all alike :) I tend to dislike some of them but others are beautiful. (I ask to try to figure out the condition thing, not to pick on your taste in begonias...)

If humidity is a problem, does putting a lightweight plastic bag over it help? I use the gallon storage bags (not ziplock) quite a bit for this. I don't shut them tight. I would try to take a better leaf than the last row but you never know.

I think Linda mentioned placing a tissue over them and if they looked better, then you knew it was too much light. That was tight centers, but it should work for anything that is too much light. Dominique had a paper plate on her head for quite awhile to try to get her to lay down.

Some of them fry pretty easily. I managed to sun damage Jolly Jubilee.

Diana

• lucky123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wax Begonia. I have them outside also, in a pot and they are fried. They don't like much sun at all. The ones outside are getting direct morning sun, about 2 hours early but the ones in the house are in bright light only.
    I also have a very small parlour palm near the begonias and the AV. So far, the palm is beautiful (I just got it though)
    I have moved that AV to a lower light and put it in a humidity dome.
    AV's are so slow to react

• quimoi
    9 years ago

They usually react fairly rapidly to an increase in humidity. I'm not sure how fast - a week or two maybe?

I think I know enough about wax begonias to know they are more shade plants (I think). My mom had them outdoors every year. I had the palm for a long time but I'm not sure about them. They may simply be adaptable.

Still it doesn't take much sun exposure to show up on the african violet. As you said, we may be seeing something that happened earlier. There is also the issue of the sudden change which they hate. You must always change the light gradually for them. (i.e., if they are under lights and you want 10 hours and are at 6, you don't just jump to 8 or 9 although they will be fine with the gradual change). It is the same with natural light which is obvious but we don't think about in the same way.

Diana (who had the middle leaves curl up because she left the curtain up and the sun came out)

• quimoi
    9 years ago

From what I just read, maybe wax begonias can take much more sun than African violets. Obviously I'm no expert on these but I thought I would read a little. Perhaps their light is too much for the African violet.

My mom grew the begonias in the shade, but it was outdoor shade and perhaps they could have taken more sun there. Her violets were in the windows and not the sunniest windows either (plus under lights).

It's not Martha Stewart land here, but I have lightweight curtains that I can put up when it gets too sunny. They go on spring rods and only need to cover part of the window.

Diana

• lucky123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks
    It is very hard to judge light. Now, if that is too much light, I know what it looks like.
    I examined each of my violets carefully and that is the only one that is doing that (so far) so it must be a local issue. Since all of the violets have the same soil, water, humidity, fertilizer, it must be too much sun in that spot.
    I moved it. I will see what it does now.
    I will watch and see if any other violet in another location shows the same symptoms

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Lucky,

It looks like sunburn. You can't compare begonias, (or any other plant genus), with violets, (apples and oranges) and you can't compare one plant to another. They are all individuals, even the same variety taken from the same mother leaf.

Remove the damaged leaves if the rest of the leaves look good and try a shadier spot. I don't think you need a humidity dome.

Linda

• lucky123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Linda
    Now I know what sunburn looks like and where it happens.
    I would have thought that location was all right. It is in the middle of the room but there are picture windows on 3 sides. It is broad daylight, dawn to dusk.
    Where I put the violet gets dappled shafts of late afternoon sun but the rest of the day is fairly dim. The violets I have there now seem OK so far, growing well with normal leaves. I had a bromeliad there for several years. Now, violets.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Lucky,

At this time of the year, with the sun getting stronger, the light changes in our growing areas drastically and quickly. There will always be that ONE violet that is not happy where the others are blooming contentedly.

Linda

• lucky123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Again Linda, Diana, Karin
    Knowing what all this looks like, I can spot it early and treat sooner.
    I hope I can find a darker, thicker leaved plant that likes that spot in the living room. It is a fancy setting for a violet.
    But I moved all the books in this dimmer room and set up an area for plants and propagating.
    It is the most comfortable room in the house and we have all our toys and hobbies in here with the violets. It just isn't the Living Room, where a violet would be so elegant :)

• quimoi
    9 years ago

It could be those "shafts of sunlight." That is all it takes.

Diana

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

This has absolutely nothing to do with violets but--- the 'shafts of sunlight' made me think of this. It's one of my favorite pictures-someday I am going to photo-shop the people out of it!

I hope you all like it!

Linda

• lauraeli_
    9 years ago

you dont have to photoshop. just crop the photo...

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

I came home early today and discovered shafts of light all over the place! Spring has arrived in full force, or maybe, mid-August is what it feels like. Have been drawing curtains and removing bleached older leaves.

Linda, the photo is gorgeous! Where is it? Italy? Looks like tourists taking photos. Or maybe a special event? I say, leave them in, they add life and scale to the photo. It also shows the shafts of life landing on someone's head.

Joanne

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

This is in St. Peter' Basilica in Vatican City, Rome. Italy is amazingly beautiful and also has more graffiti then anywhere I have ever been. We were there in Sept. '2012 and we're going back to Italy and France this Fall. (My other obsession-travel. I can't get enough!)

Joanne, you're right-I like the picture both ways!

Lauralei, I would like to know how to crop. I was trying tonight for about two hours to crop some vacation photos and I must be missing something. I just cannot get it to work. Can you help? You can e-mail me privately if you like.

Thanks,
    Linda

• Karin
    9 years ago

Linda,
    if you use photoshop elements, it is very simple and intuitive (uh, coming from someone who started using photoshop at the age of 10) - anyhow, all those other photo apps confuse me ;-)

you just pick the crop tool, drag it across your image, adjust the frame and approve it once you have it just right. then you save the image in your desired format and you're done :-)
    (btw, if you "hover" your mouse over the tool selections, their names pop up)

i was debating photoshopping it for you, but that'd be showing off ;-)

Karin

• lauraeli_
    9 years ago

Yep, that's the crop tool highlighted. It is probably the same for whatever program you are using, Linda.

It would be difficult to explain how to do it, I am much better at SHOWING someone how to do things.

If you go on Youtube and search for 'how to use the crop tool' a lot of videos will pop up- most are specific to a certain program. But if you can find the one you are using, just watch a few videos to get a general idea and maybe you can figure it out from there. The crop tool is pretty basic, so you can just ask somebody who might know.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

why only the oldest??? ... sunlight would affect them all ..

and what are the little black spots ... i usually associate that with scat .. if bugs leave scat ...

i would check the reverse for spider mites... and they are very hard to see ...

ken

• Karin
    9 years ago

black and or white specks on my av's leaves are typically dirt and perlite. makes it hard to spot bugs though, so i intend on washing the... sometime....

as for why only the oldest leaves are showing damage, i'll let linda explain, rather than airing theories :-)

Linda, here's what i did on my coffee break - if you want it done properly, it'll cost you :-p

• lucky123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken
    I thought bugs also. The plant has been inspected by several people who cannot see any bugs with a loupe. However, the plant was sprayed every 3 days for 16 days and then has been isolated in a dome for the last month. I did have bugs which are gone now.
    I thought it might be a reaction to the spray but no other plant has that bubbling.
    This plant is the only one with that bubbling which started as browning along the veins. It may be sun or cold. Or residual damage from the bugs.
    I am watching very carefully for bugs.

Linda, Beautiful Photo. I would leave it natural. The people give the photo authenticity and interest.

This post was edited by lucky123 on Thu, May 15, 14 at 11:35

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Lucky,
    Suggest you remove the damaged leaves, but one at a time.
    Yes, I like what Karin did. The verticalness, the shaft and the columns all emphasize the soaring effect and each
    element reinforces the others, and the few people are just enough for scale and emphasize the grandeur.
    Karin, what do you want for pay? A few Silverglade leaves?

Linda, I thought it was probably one of the famous Catholic churches, judging from the carvings but did not want to guess. It is a shame about the graffiti! Who'd have thunk?
    Defacing art. Ugh!

Karin, am still wondering how to load photos from my I-Phone. Do I need to open a Flickr Album? J

This post was edited by fortyseven on Fri, May 16, 14 at 6:34

• lucky123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Joanne
    You stated it perfectly. The people add scale and grandeur.
    Karin
    Nice Job!

• Karin
    9 years ago

Joanne, just click on the "choose file" button where it says "image file to upload (optional)" right below the "post a follow up" title.
    Then you can choose to either take a photo or pick one from the camera roll.
    Easy as that :-)

Oh and I left the people because I wasn't going to do the "hard work" - the background there is very detailed :-)

Eta: leaves, advice, appreciation - all works depending on the scale of the project :-) (I fondly remember the days I did design work for a chocolatier...)

This post was edited by froeschli on Thu, May 15, 14 at 13:05

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Karin, I really like the picture with just a few people at the bottom for scale. Gorgeous!

Joanne,

The graffiti isn't on the art works but it is everywhere else. Buildings, sidewalks, bridges, everywhere. It's a shame but on the other hand-Pompeii has graffiti that was written by the citizens before the volcano destroyed it and it is considered historic!

Linda

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Deleted because upside down photo.

This post was edited by fortyseven on Mon, May 19, 14 at 12:14

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Linda, It is too bad about the graffiti. Your travel plans sound lovely!
    Karin , So, you will work for chocolate! The background of Linda's photo does look very rich. Thanks for the photo upload tip. Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Fri, May 16, 14 at 6:57

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction